Castrol Magnatec observation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an observation this is my forth winter with my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder VQ40DE V6 and I usually go threw two winter oil changes around 5,000 miles each change. I try different oil each winter to see what oil gives me the leased start up noise the VQ40 V6 is known for that big timing chain spinning around in there likes its oil and esp when it is below zero you can hear it clatter for a few seconds on start up. I must say I am trying Castrol GTX Magnatec 5w30 right now and the several below zero cold starts we have had here in Western MA my V6 has started with the lowest winter start noise ever.

glad it is working well for you. my rx didnt like it, ran doggy on it for some reason. the motor was quiet on it though...

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Oil has no effect on how an engine runs.

On some engines, absolutely it does.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Maybe Castrol has changed. GTX used to be the king of sludge

I thought that was Pennzoil or Quaker State?

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Oil has no effect on how an engine runs.

The absence of it certainly does...

That being said I've never perceived any noticeable performance difference on the dozen or more oil brands and half a dozen or so oil weights that I've tried in my vehicles over the years.

Originally Posted By: volk06

That was way back. Still remember the green QS rings falling into the valve cover. GTX is more recent, after PYB went from worst to first..

Magnetec is supposed to very similar in performance terms to some of the more basic types of Castrol Edge and it was OEM spec for a number of vehicles made in the EU. The original oil was a 10w40.

There are better oils available from Castrol and other companies and although it is good for most normal petrol cars, I would not use in a turbo or use it for extended OCI's, particularly in a diesel.

Anyone got the VOA ??

Originally Posted By: volk06

That was way back. Still remember the green QS rings falling into the valve cover. GTX is more recent, after PYB went from worst to first..

Scarcasm....

^ He's from Iowa what do you expect?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Magnetec is supposed to very similar in performance terms to some of the more basic types of Castrol Edge and it was OEM spec for a number of vehicles made in the EU. The original oil was a 10w40.

There are better oils available from Castrol and other companies and although it is good for most normal petrol cars, I would not use in a turbo or use it for extended OCI's, particularly in a diesel.

Anyone got the VOA ??

Apparently Magnatec was the factory fill for Jaguar until they switched to the new proprietary 0w-20 Castrol Edge Professional. Before Magnatec they were using 5w-30 GTX.

Last edited:

Anyone got the VOA ??
uoa turbo engine run long enough to be called long.

Originally Posted By: Torrid

Anyone got the VOA ??

Apparently Magnatec was the factory fill for Jaguar until they switched to the new proprietary 0w-20 Castrol Edge Professional. Before Magnatec they were using 5w-30 GTX.

Well I guess that explains "gotta own two Jaguars to keep one on the road"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back