about auto-rx

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 343,000 miles I started an auto-rx application, the valvetrain was making some noise, I had a bad pushrod so I went ahead and replaced all of the pushrods and put on new rocker arms.

This is a small block chevy, anyways at 367,000 miles I took the valve covers off to put on different baffles for the PCV hole and breather hole. The inside of the valve covers were spotless as well as the rocker arms.

When I get a chance I will post some photos, I also have the old rocker arms and I will take some pictures of those too.

I have no more valve train noise, and when I go to pour the oil into the engine I can here it going down to the oil pan, this has me believing that oil is hitting clean metal on it's way down to the oil pan.

My oil pressure is 30 psi at idle and when I am driving I think it is at about 45 to 50 psi, its kind of hard for me to judge since I have an oil pressure gauge that looks kind of like this:

( 0-30-60 )

The engine makes no smoke on startup or when I am driving, and it does not leak or consume oil.

These are my observations that auto-rx works, I am getting 21 m.p.g. and I am happy.

Some pretty impressive miles. I would suggest getting a mechanical gauge though, (that is if yours is the factory gauge). The factory installed oil pressure gauges are not much more than a glorified idiot light, and might not be accurate at all.

AD

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
Some pretty impressive miles. I would suggest getting a mechanical gauge though, (that is if yours is the factory gauge). The factory installed oil pressure gauges are not much more than a glorified idiot light, and might not be accurate at all.

AD

I agree, but mine is an actual electrical oil pressure gauge with the sending unit in the block, but it is probably not as accurate as a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

I've had them, and now use a mechanical OP gauge instead. With it I know exactly what is going on vs, hoping the gauge reading is correct.

At any rate what ever you've done to maintain that engine has worked! Nice job!

AD

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
I've had them, and now use a mechanical OP gauge instead. With it I know exactly what is going on vs, hoping the gauge reading is correct.

At any rate what ever you've done to maintain that engine has worked! Nice job!

AD

Maintenance is one thing, and driving the car conservatively is probably the other thing that has kept this engine going.

Personally, I use ARX in the proactive mode. Either a full cleaning and rinse, every 25K or the maintenance dose run with each oil change after the cleaning and rinse keeps my bow tie motors clean. 4.8 liter v-8 2000 year and 3.8 liter V-6, 2004 vintage.

Personally I disagree with the proactive routine. If your changing the oil often enough it will not sludge up, so there is absolutely no reason to add auto RX or any kind of cleaning product.

I had to change the worn out valve seals in my 87 305 Chevy engine with almost 200k miles on it (was running hot until I changed the rad, so the heat probably cooked the valve seals prematurely). Anyways when I pulled the valve covers off it looked like brand new underneath. I changed the oil every 3k miles and had switched to synthetic some time after I had it for a while.

I've seen a few other engines that were spotless under the valve covers with somewhat regular oil changes.

Now I would have no problem with trying auto rx for an engine that had been neglected before I got it, or had oil consumption issues but not in one that I know was taken care of.

Originally Posted By: caprice_2nv
Personally I disagree with the proactive routine. If your changing the oil often enough it will not sludge up, so there is absolutely no reason to add auto RX or any kind of cleaning product.

I had to change the worn out valve seals in my 87 305 Chevy engine with almost 200k miles on it (was running hot until I changed the rad, so the heat probably cooked the valve seals prematurely). Anyways when I pulled the valve covers off it looked like brand new underneath. I changed the oil every 3k miles and had switched to synthetic some time after I had it for a while.

I've seen a few other engines that were spotless under the valve covers with somewhat regular oil changes.

Now I would have no problem with trying auto rx for an engine that had been neglected before I got it, or had oil consumption issues but not in one that I know was taken care of.

I changed out my valve seals on my 1983 Chevrolet El Camino at 360,000 miles. I have a 305 ci motor, I guess valve seals only last so long.

Originally Posted By: caprice_2nv

Tell that to some Chrysler and VW owners.

Originally Posted By: Rick20
XS650,

Running full synthetic does not guarantee that rings will not coke up. See this time and time again.

Fully agree with this, I have experienced myself.
One for sure the Amsoil ASM creates lots of deposits when it is burned.

im a believer in AutoRX. I just got my oil changed on my 102,000 mile 1998 Honda CR-V at EZ Lube and the oil was very brown. This was only after 2500 miles on the cleaning phase. The guy even said, "That's pretty brown...you definitely need to go on the severe maintenance schedule because you are way past due!" I have never seen it that brown before on my car. AutoRX must be doing something good. After this current 3000 mile rinse phase, Im going to put Pennzoil Platinum in or repeat the full dose again depending on the color of the oil.

Originally Posted By: CP3PO
im a believer in AutoRX. I just got my oil changed on my 102,000 mile 1998 Honda CR-V at EZ Lube and the oil was very brown. This was only after 2500 miles on the cleaning phase. The guy even said, "That's pretty brown...you definitely need to go on the severe maintenance schedule because you are way past due!" I have never seen it that brown before on my car. AutoRX must be doing something good. After this current 3000 mile rinse phase, Im going to put Pennzoil Platinum in or repeat the full dose again depending on the color of the oil.

Here we have yet another apocryphal testimonial that I find terribly funny. Haven't you heard yet it's the "cleaning phase" and not the "rinse phase" that removes the funk?
LOL.gif

oooh apocryphal! big words there mr. "i use big words so that this message board thinks im a smart man".

yes i know that it's the rinse phase that cleans out the sludge you idiot...but it was still brown when i emptied the cleaning phase. i am stating the facts of my experience with AutoRX. get off ur high horse!

oooh apocryphal! big words there mr. "i use big words so that this message board thinks im a smart man".

yes i know that it's the rinse phase that cleans out the sludge you idiot...but it was still brown when i emptied the cleaning phase. i am stating the facts of my experience with AutoRX. get off ur high horse!

I love aggressive advertising that includes name calling! That's good for business. You are a real asset to the incessant Auto RX marketing campaign.
grin2.gif

Good luck cleaning your car's neglected engine.
wink.gif

Good Luck on the Rinse Phase, and please keep us posted about your results.

Originally Posted By: c3po

The tension is almost unbearable, for we have been left with a cliffhanger! Will CP3PO be able to drive his engine clean? Will oil consumption drop dramatically, while fuel economy will improve drastically? Tune in tomorrow for the RINSE PHASE REPORT!

Originally Posted By: moribundman

The tension is almost unbearable, for we have been left with a cliffhanger! Will CP3PO be able to drive his engine clean? Will oil consumption drop dramatically, while fuel economy will improve drastically? Tune in tomorrow for the RINSE PHASE REPORT!

This is better than watching television.

Depends on the program. Sometimes I like to watch Fox News just to see them shout people down, belittle and interrupt them kinda like moribundman is doing. :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dyoel182

Depends on the program. Sometimes I like to watch Fox News just to see them shout people down, belittle and interrupt them kinda like moribundman is doing. :)

Mori is very entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back