Not open for further replies.
We all have our favorite group of synthetic oil but the favorable
properties which contribute to their rapidly growing use on a variety
of engine applications are uniformity and purity...That is what you
are paying extra for...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So did you remove or have removed this same post (minus the quotes from some oil companies) last night, after it received unfavorable to the narrative responses?

Originally Posted by BusyLittleShop
are paying extra for...

No, you're paying for a specified mix of additives and base oils.

When it comes to aviation oils, turbine engines and piston engines differ and require finished engine oils of specific base oils with a specific viscosity containing specific types of additives for the specific application.

Last edited:
Synthetic oil isn't the answer to everything. Something I'm learning with racing engines is that synthetic base oils aren't always the best answer for high powered applications with very high spring pressures and cylinder pressures. The lower pressure-viscosity coefficient of synthetic base oils is forcing higher treat rates of additives and still not getting the desired result.

When you make a road bed, a mix of different stone sizes will pack and key together better than a base of all the same sized stone. Is the same true for irregular molecules?
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by BusyLittleShop
are paying extra for...

No, you're paying for a specified mix of additives and base oils.

When it comes to aviation oils, turbine engines and piston engines differ and require finished engine oils of specific base oils with a specific viscosity containing specific types of additives for the specific application.

Yeah, people get all wrapped up in the conventional vs synthetic vs blend thing that the for get that it all means nothing with out a strong add pack.

Again...oil isn't marbles, in spite of advertising aimed at third graders, and wheeled out as fact...time after time after time...

and I don't think that the industry uses "bucket viscometers"....

Last edited:
At the microscopic level,internal engine surfaces are rough. Seems to me irregular sized oil molecules of conventional oil would be better.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
At the microscopic level,internal engine surfaces are rough. Seems to me irregular sized oil molecules of conventional oil would be better.

Those microscopic asperities are where the additives (anti-wear and friction modifiers) come into play. The oil's job is to keep parts from reaching that level. From my limited knowledge, mineral oil does have a higher pressure-viscosity coefficient than synthetic oil below a certain temperature. Why that is, I'm not real sure.

For me, it's more about temperature. My vehicle has a turbo, and I want the product that best resists high temperatures.

I agree. I guess that is why I am comfortable with the syn blend that I have used in my commercial truck engine the now has roughly 991,000 miles on it with the all original engine and turbo. With EGT's (after turbo) regularly in the 1100F range for several minutes on hill climbs under heavy load on hot days. A turbo that has had a turbo blanket on it since I first bought the truck. A full syn is going to help me how again?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
You have an original engine and original turbo, with 991K?
No wonder you are a Tired Trucker.

So true! Yep, 991,000 miles on a 2013 Freightliner that has a 2000 MY factory remanned Detroit engine in it. Truck was ordered without a motor and the reman was dropped in when it was delivered to the dealer. Went to work in August of 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back