70 Miles without air filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no point with trying to persuade these guys. They care more how their intake sounds and they want the loudest aftermarket blow-off valve to let everyone know they have a turbo. They don't care how long the engine or the entire car lasts because their parents will buy them another one.

My car ran for right around 63,000 miles with a leak in the intake tract after the MAF and before the turbo where it was hard to see. It sucked in enough dirt and [censored] over that time period that I had to fill my intercooler with gas about seven times to get all the dirt out. My head breather hoses were full of gritty, oily gunk. My car sees a super high dust environment every day I go to work (park near a construction site). This car sees lots of short trips, lots of highway miles, and lots of 6000 RPM.

It doesn't consume oil at an alarming rate (Mobil 1: ~1 quart/5000 miles, Rotella T6: ~negligible, 15w40 anything: none), the turbo isn't OMGDEAD, it's not making any weird noises, and I have no reason to suspect it won't last as long as any other WRX.

Oh, clean your MAF. It's probably dirty from those 70 miles.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
There is no point with trying to persuade these guys. They care more how their intake sounds and they want the loudest aftermarket blow-off valve to let everyone know they have a turbo. They don't care how long the engine or the entire car lasts because their parents will buy them another one.

LOL. Good point. When I grew up I worked for my first car, quite hard. Even though it was old I took care of it, because I knew how much replacing it would cost. I raised my son the same way, only he didn't want to work on his car, so I did. Still he hung with me while I did the work, and realized that taking care of it was very important. Sometimes things come to easy for todays kids, and they need a dose of reality.

After looking over the other thread some more....It looks like he installed a new turbo with a 4" inlet, and when he went to install the new intake system, it wouldnt fit. So he then tried installing the filter straight onto the turbo, but it wouldnt fit either. While a new 4" intake system was on order, he was wanting feedback of how he can cover the turbo and still be able to drive it until the intake showed up. He got numerous responses of "run it without a filter, it will be fine", or "I ran mine without a filter for 5000 miles and I have no problems", "get some window screen from home depot and zip tie it around the inlet." I guess this can fall into the "Ghetto Mods" section by calling it a "free intake manifold porting"

I just suggested to him to change his oil after he gets the new intake installed because of extra silicon that was probably ingested. That is when I got attacked for being anal about my oil addiction problems....

I just dont understand how someone can install a brand new $1000+ turbo and new oil and filter, and then decide to drive without an air filter.

He eventually said he only drove it 70 miles total without a filter or screen over the turbo.

If I personally had no choice but to run without a filter for 70+ miles, I would change my oil. Thats just me.

Last edited:
A while back I had started a topic about my stepson having driven more than 2 years without any air filter on his Plymouth Sundance V6!!! And that in the world's capital of roadsalt.

He had scrounged the airbox assembly to install in his other car.

He finally got rid of the Sundance some months ago. It had started to make funny noises...

Originally Posted By: Vizzy
Just speechless. The intelligence level of the average human being just seems to keep decreasing with each passing decade.
Someone once theorized that overall human intelligence must be fixed and it keeps getting spread thinner and thinner as the population goes up. This thread is definitely evidence in his favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back