20,00 Mile OPCI

In theory, and it is somewhat engine specific, but why risk it? Particularly Subaru engines that are known for fuel dilution. Risk mitigation. Oil is cheap, especially for enthusiasts who often do it themselves. It’s unfortunate that marketing often trumps reality. I use higher end oil, but absolutely stick to 5k OCI’s even if I could go longer I know my engine will last longer, particularly high mileage. I know my internals will be sludge free. I had a WRX for a bit and know how hard these motors are on oil.
I never looked at oil as being a major expense. I guess that's where I differ from some. Even if I spend say $100.00 on a boutique oil but go only 6k or 6 months, I don't consider that to be outrageous. There are times I can't get to an oil change or don't want to, so I prefer to buy overbuilt oils for peace of mind more than anything. There is no right or wrong just preference.

I never looked at oil as being a major expense. I guess that's where I differ from some. Even if I spend say $100.00 on a boutique oil but go only 6k or 6 months, I don't consider that to be outrageous. There are times I can't get to an oil change or don't want to, so I prefer to buy overbuilt oils for peace of mind more than anything. There is no right or wrong just preference.

I am with you 100%, one reason why I don’t buy used anymore. I’m very anal about my break-in procedure, oil used, and intervals. Most people that are like this don’t tend to trade often. On that WRX, you should have seen how black and nasty the oil would get at 4k miles or so. It would smell like you dipped your finger into the gas tank, even with using higher end synthetic.

I am with you 100%, one reason why I don’t buy used anymore. I’m very anal about my break-in procedure, oil used, and intervals. Most people that are like this don’t tend to trade often. On that WRX, you should have seen how black and nasty the oil would get at 4k miles or so. It would smell like you dipped your finger into the gas tank, even with using higher end synthetic.
I'm the same way. I've seen so many neglected vehicles traded in that I'm very skeptical of buying used.

Back