70 Miles without air filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A dirty filter makes a big difference with carbureted engines, but no so much with FI ones.

Anyway, 70 miles with no filter? Yawn...

Let me guess, an SRT4 str337 rac3rr who would rather have mad air flow than keep dust and dirt out of the engine. Don't waste your time trying to convince him otherwise. Let him wreck his turbo.

He's probably one of those people who thinks its cool for a car to burn so much oil it smokes.

Like Drew said, the turbo probably got most of the damage. The air filter is essential to keeping debris from hitting the blades.

Even on an NA engine, I'd rather have a dirty, clogged filter than none at all.

I don't think all that much dirt would have been filtered in 70 miles...if he did have a filter. That's assuming he drove on pavement the whole time....so no I wouldn't bother changing the oil. THAT WOULD BE ANAL!

Originally Posted By: HangerHarley
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Put the air filter on. Get a sample of the oil and UOA it and see from there.

This would prove if a lot of "stuff" made it in and if there is anything coming from it.

The oil filter would have taken care of anything real bad.

IF there is damage, its done and changing the oil is not going to help bring it back. Sounds like your friend does not use the brain cells too often.

Telling us that there was NOT a SINGLE air filter available ANY WHERE local? (Stealerships, ALL Auto parts stores) whistle

Not going to believe that. Also most people have an extra one available. Its called planning.

What is done is. UOA it and see what you've got.

Take care, Bill

What makes even less sense to me is why he couldn't have just put the old one back on for 70 miles???

That would be the difference between someone USING brain cells or not...

Bill, i attempted to explain the logic above.

They also need to use a Conventional Air Filter and not a "Washable" K&N.
thumbsup2.gif

Just kiddin, bud. However, basically, if a clogged air filter is clogged, removing it was the solution to passing Air. leaving a KNOWN Clogged filter on would make little sense, IF the goal was to have Air enter the Engine.

Surely, Unfiltered Air is better than No Air.
49.gif

You make it sound like a "plugged filter" wont allow any air whatsoever to pass through. Yes, they can reach a point where the performance will degrade to where they barely run, (I've seen it on some diesels) but other than that, the term "plugged" is pretty subjective. I highly doubt the filter in question was to that point. Operating on that basis, I'd much rather have a dirty filter, than none at all.

The very clogged engine air filter(s) can be cleaned with a home vacuum for use a few days (or weeks) while waiting for the correct filter shipped. No way I would drive my car(s) without an engine air filter, I don't mind driving my car(s) without a cabin air filter though.

All I will say is I know guys driving 400, 500, 600hp engines on the street and at the track with no air filters ever.

Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro
All I will say is I know guys driving 400, 500, 600hp engines on the street and at the track with no air filters ever.

Then that proves that we are wasting our time (and money) dealing with these wasteful pesky Air Filters.

Glad that is over with! I'm sure to make 300k+ miles with no air filter since it will make so much more power.

Bill

Then that proves that we are wasting our time (and money) dealing with these wasteful pesky Air Filters.

Glad that is over with! I'm sure to make 300k+ miles with no air filter since it will make so much more power.

Bill

You know what i was getting at. I don't think 100 miles will hurt anything.

You know what i was getting at. I don't think 100 miles will hurt anything.

It really does not matter. Obvious the guy who owns the vehicle does not care, what is done is done and the reasons for it are weak.

Around here, it would matter. So much dust in the air most of the time.

Bill

a guy in another forum made the statement....

"I haven't had an air filter on my Honda in over a year, and my engine runs fine."

Needless to say, after I was done cringing, my reply...

"Let me know if you ever tear your engine down, I would love to see picture of the wear."

Assuming an average climate, I would put a filter in and forget about it... I'd bet everything is just fine. 70 miles is not that much..

Other than installing a new air filter, and changing the oil what else can the guy do? I mean he could run a UOA, to see what/if anything out of the ordinary is going on, or tear the engine down and have a look LOL. That was a joke BTW. If any damage was done it can't be reversed so he has to live with his mistake.

Just speechless. The intelligence level of the average human being just seems to keep decreasing with each passing decade.

Hmmm,I think some of you guys need to step away from the keyboard right now.Too much information may damage you brain.From the wayback memory machine comes the sound of an unfiltered 4 barrel 265 engine in a 56 Chevy,Baaawomp!!!!Did it shorten the engine life to remove the airfilter on Saturday night?Maybe,but it sounded cool
thumbsup2.gif

It sure is cool to have a loud intake, but is it cool to have an engine that resembles a mosquito foger 5 years later?

Baaawomp..............baaaaaaaaaaaurning oil.

Besides taking off the airfilter,we used oil that came in a 2 gallon metal can.The only only in fo onthe can was in large letters that said "Motor Oil" I believe the same oil in a different color can was labeled at 'Cutting Oil"

Sands was used to polish metal, why don't you add a few ounces of sands to your 2-gallon metal oil can before pour it into your engine. That way your engine's cylinders will be polished like new.

The air filter is on the engine for a reason. Running an engine without one can be done, is it good? Nope.

If changing the oil makes the guy feel better than go for it. The damage, if any, however slight, or none at all can't be reversed, and is anyone's guess at this point. I worry about more important things as I get older.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back