6.4 Ford sludge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oversize photos removed. ATTENTION all posters: Photos are usually a great supplement to the words, but they MUST be properly sized. Please use whatever photo editing program you like to make the horizontal size no greater than 600 pixels wide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: UberxG
Do-not-feed-the-troll.jpg

thanks alot guys...

Those pictures really prove little other than (presumably) it's you taking an oil sample from the alleged truck.

I am, however, convinced that you want unlimited consoling while providing limited information.

Frankly, I tire of your stubborn attitude. You won't share detailed information, nor will you answer direct questions. You may not be a troll, but your deliberate witholding of pertinent information leaves people, including myself, non-sympathetic. If you want a shoulder to cry on, then you have to be willing to share the sad story, in it's entirity. You don't get to cherry-pick the details, and then expect unlimited emotional support. Frankly, the bulk of us here are not that type of person. We thrive on details and the sharing of information.

Nutsbolts, if you have nothing new to share that is of value, please just let this thread die it's natural death.

Thanks for posting the photo. It's why I didn't get a Super Duty.

You have to take the front clip and cab off the frame to do any substantial engine work on them, including removing a cylinder head. That and the all of the different problems on the 6.0 and 6.4L engines.

I'd probably buy a 7.3L powerstroke if it had been possible to get one a year or two old...which it isn't.

Originally Posted By: nutsbolts

In the end, without proper documentation
From Ford that matches my documented findings, they will be in breach of contract.

No, YOU are in breach of contract for going 19,000 miles on the oil. A warranty is a written contract essentially. You didn't fallow the oil change intervals stipulated for warranty purposes. Do a search on "Cathy Covington" here. Lady with a motorhome with a Ford V10 that blew up. You guessed it, she went over the oil change interval and Ford gave here the finger just like they're doing to you.

Even if an internal coolant leak is the cause of the sludge, a judge is still going to LOL at your case. He might even fall out of his chair with uncontrollable hysteria.
crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
btw cab off is stupid easy on the newer trucks. our diesel tech has it down to about 20 mins.

I would never have believed it, that's very interesting! I guess drive by wire and major multi-connectors can make this possible. But what does the customer out of warranty pay?

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
btw cab off is stupid easy on the newer trucks. our diesel tech has it down to about 20 mins.

I would never have believed it, that's very interesting! I guess drive by wire and major multi-connectors can make this possible. But what does the customer out of warranty pay?

dunno, we only really do warranty ones, guess thats the downside to $110 an hour. the CP jobs seem to go to independent shops. although i could see ~35 hours to do heads on a 6.0. our tech usually persuades CP jobs to throw the ARP headstuds on when pulling heads.

Last edited:
the source of the problem Turbo drain block side
Oversize photos removed. Again, please don't post photos that are so large that they make the rest of the thread impossible to read. Use a photo editing program to reduce size (500-600 pixels wide works well).

Yep, that's some sludge all right.

Sure would be nice to have a maintenance history showing use of the recommended lubricants at the recommended intervals. This way, you just chuck the keys at the dealer, ask for an equivalent or better loaner until it's done, and we have nothing to talk about here.

Same reason I haven't pulled the DPF off, deleted the egr, EFI Live'd and catch-canned the pcv system on my GMC. All of these things would either increase the fuel economy or increase the longevity of the vehicle.

I just don't want to give them any excuse to deny warranty on an this expensive equipment.

Originally Posted By: talker
WHAT KIND OF OIL WAS IT?

39.gif

With all that sludge, it MUST have been 5W30 Pennzoil!

Originally Posted By: talker
WHAT KIND OF OIL WAS IT?

39.gif

Is that Pennzoil yellow or [censored] yellow?

looks as if it may be cheaper if I just fix it myself, warranty is useless so I will pick up my truck and fix it.
I done some research and I will eliminate the factory liquid to liquid oil cooler, run my own design.
Block coolant from entering the oil filter housing to eliminate coolant in the oil.
So now I get to purchase a DPF delete pipe and play Mechanic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWsGsunQwM8&NR=1

That must be your way of saying that Ford told you to go fly a kite. Are you even close to being aware that if you had used the proper oil and change interval in the first place, there would be nothing to fix?? And now you plan to fix it yourself?
This should be good.

Good for you. I applaud your initiative.

Now, that means this thread is finally dead, right? I mean, you've given up on pushing your incredibly poor position with Ford, and you've refused to divulge the source oil, so I can presume they have refused help, too.

So, please, no more rambling and HUGE pictures ...

What is incredible is the lack of support a customer gets from the manufacture and from this Forum.
I have the right to put any oil I choose in the vehicle I purchase.
I bought a top of the line oil that has worked for many years for me in the past.
Even though some of you tribologist think that my add pack was weak that does not mean I started out with that, with new oil.
My truck is down and I will collect it back from Ford and I will repair it myself I have the means to do this.
I will find the source of the coolant leak and will post up the results.
thanks for following and kicking me while I was down, you are a great bunch of guys!
34.gif

Javier

You also have the right to put a Desert Eagle to your head and pull the trigger.

Would people be stupid for advising you against this and telling you it is a bad idea?

Because essentially, this is what you did to your warranty and your engine.

You ran a non-approved lubricant in a grade not approved by Ford OR International for a drain interval not approved by either manufacturer either!

And then you get upset when people question your logic or your flaming of Ford given the circumstances??

You followed through on a bad idea, and the consequences have bit you in the a$$. At least you have decided to move on and perform the repair yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back