5w30 or 5w40 (or 0w30) Castrol Edge Euro vs 0w40 euro edge to reduce engine oil consumption in e46

A little follow up and a question about oil in my e46. Happily after changing the oil filter gasket I’m loosing very little oil after 700 miles. However I have used Castrol Ow40 euro for 10 years plus and always lost a quart of oil every 1000 miles or less. Now it has Pennzoil Euro 0w40 for these 700 miles and little noticeable engine oil loss. Any input on whether going to a 5w30 or other weight oil or sticking with the Pennzoil Euro for this 2002 e46
325it (with 270000 miles) would be very welcome.

What are you expecting the change in oil to benefit your operation.

Hoping the change will lead to reduced oil consumption-my e46 has been losing a good bit of oil while using the Castrol 0w40 euro. I read oil with 30 or less spread might burn off less.

Hoping the change will lead to reduced oil consumption-my e46 has been losing a good bit of oil while using the Castrol 0w40 euro. I read oil with 30 or less spread might burn off less.
No. That is evaporation loss (Noack). That is not burn. Burn is when oil ends up in combustion area somehow (piston rings, valve stems etc).
Also, just bcs. oil is 5W30 doesn’t mean it has lower Noack than 0W40. It would ALL THINGS equal (base stock etc).

And again great considerations are nearly useless and combined with the appropriate BMW approval for this engine. That’s what matters. if this oil has the approval you need and it’s working well then stick with it with it.

I've owned my e46 for a little over a yr. now and have done two oil changes. First was Castrol Euro 5w-30 and did not keep in very long as I wanted to do a short interval. I don't remember the low oil pressure light blinking w/this oil. Next, Castrol 0w-40. With this oil in the sump, my oil pressure light does flicker when the oil is warm and idling. (Just a little higher revs and light goes away. Even changed out the sensor. Same results.) Took the car to a trusted BMW shop and the person (whom has worked on my VW Golf previously) recommended not to use any 0w oils in this engine. Next oil change will be w/a 5w-40 oil either Mobil 1 or QS. (Leaning towards the Mobil 1 to use.) We shall see if the light flickers w/this oil and how she runs. Thankfully the engine does burn any oil but does have a little seepage on the oil pan gasket. No biggie @the moment.

I've owned my e46 for a little over a yr. now and have done two oil changes. First was Castrol Euro 5w-30 and did not keep in very long as I wanted to do a short interval. I don't remember the low oil pressure light blinking w/this oil. Next, Castrol 0w-40. With this oil in the sump, my oil pressure light does flicker when the oil is warm and idling. (Just a little higher revs and light goes away. Even changed out the sensor. Same results.) Took the car to a trusted BMW shop and the person (whom has worked on my VW Golf previously) recommended not to use any 0w oils in this engine. Next oil change will be w/a 5w-40 oil either Mobil 1 or QS. (Leaning towards the Mobil 1 to use.) We shall see if the light flickers w/this oil and how she runs. Thankfully the engine does burn any oil but does have a little seepage on the oil pan gasket. No biggie @the moment.
Your mechanic is incorrect.

20-year old BMW Inline 6 with 270,000 miles? A little consumption is to be expected. What is the total oil loss during the length of an OCI? And what is your OCI?

P.S. I would stick with M1 0W-40 or Castrol Edge 0W-40. In my experience - Pennzoil, in any grade, always disappeared from the crankcase at a faster rate than M1 or Castrol in same grades. That experience is mirrored across ~20 various engines. In one vehicle I did see a decrease in oil consumption when I switched from Castrol Edge Euro 0W40 to Castrol Edge Professional 5W40. (Circa 2014-2015-ish) That oil seems to be discontinued though, unless it simply has been renamed to Castrol Edge Euro 5W40 (Black bottle) or Castrol Edge Euro 5W-40 TURBO DIESEL (Gold bottle). I do remember that Castrol Edge Professional 5W40 had more diesel engine approvals.

Last edited:
Change mechanic.

A little follow up and a question about oil in my e46. Happily after changing the oil filter gasket I’m loosing very little oil after 700 miles. However I have used Castrol Ow40 euro for 10 years plus and always lost a quart of oil every 1000 miles or less. Now it has Pennzoil Euro 0w40 for these 700 miles and little noticeable engine oil loss. Any input on whether going to a 5w30 or other weight oil or sticking with the Pennzoil Euro for this 2002 e46
325it (with 270000 miles) would be very welcome.
the engine is old and has high mileage, why not try a mineral 20w50 for one oil change, just shorten the interval to 5000 miles

Change mechanic.
Hi Edyvw and other thoughtful posters - One of my main questions was would a non 0w40 result in lower oil consumption. Here I believe the answer is probably not - am I reading this correctly? I can accept and would enjoy any rationale. As always, thanks Edyvw and all.

Hi Edyvw and other thoughtful posters - One of my main questions was would a non 0w40 result in lower oil consumption. Here I believe the answer is probably not - am I reading this correctly? I can accept and would enjoy any rationale. As always, thanks Edyvw and all.
You should really verify the pressure with a mechanical gauge, to find out what you are dealing with. If the bearings are worn, you can try masking it with a heavier oil, but ultimately, it needs significant work.

It won’t. Truth is some engines consume more certain oil then other.
My N52 would use 0.5qt of Edge in 5k including track time, and sessions long as 1 1/2hrs.
It used bit more Mobil1 0W40. And now using Motul 300V (racing oil) maybe 0.7qt after 4,300miles. All this includes track time.
I would try something readily available and keep refilling as long as it is in normal boundaries.

You could try a 20w50 if your climate allows. Valvoline Maxlife 20w50 is (was perhaps?) an A3 rated oil.

A quick Google of the PDS shows that it isn’t. Assuming they didn’t change the formulation, I’ll put it in the same category as Rotella T5 still being okay in a gas engine even though it isn’t rated for it anymore.

Back