5W-30 instead of 0W-20 for 2016 Toyota Camry 2.5 Hybrid

Not sure what is a crappy conventional these days … Things between $15-$20 a jug are semi‘s …
Well crappy is relative considering previous synthetics weren't comparable to what we have now. So I'll concede it may run absolutely fine but it's not optimal.

Daughter in law has a 2008 Camry hybrid, most of its life has had 0 or 5w20, I changed oil recently with chevron supreme 5w30 as that is what I have on hand. Just under 264K miles.

20 or 30 grade, take your pick

0W-20 is the label on the oil cap in 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid

I went to a parts shop to buy oil and the seller said it is better to use 5W-30 for hot weather, he said 5W-30 will protect the engine better than 0W-20 for high temperatures summer.

Is it true? Thanks
Start with Mobil 1 High Mileage..change at 6000mil OCI..MHO

IMO, unless that Camry hybrid is seeing Lyft/Uber/Doordash service, 0W-20 is fine. Toyota hybrid engines crank the engine quicker and it doesn’t see redline. There are starts and stops though. They live a somewhat easier life. Oil consumption is a fact of life on Toyotas, best thing to prevent it is regular OCIs.

I run M1 0W40 in my 2015 TCH. It overheated after an accident that snapped the water pump off of the block. Engined supposedly reached 275°F+ without warning for a few minutes. The car still runs like a top and gets 38 mpg easily. In all honesty, those engines are nearly bulletproof. Run a good synthetic. It will be just fine. Lol.

Yes Pete, it is true. Skippy, that works at the parts shop knows more than anyone who is employed by Toyota. I remember years ago going to Walmart and I went to pick up a 5 quart jug of oil, and this employee told me I should not buy that oil because it causes sludge. Anyone who has been on this Forum for awhile knows what brand of oil I am talking about. LOL

Getting back to the other Skippy that was working at Walmart, I said, if this oil causes sludge then why are you selling it here.

On a more serious note, you did not state what state you are driving this vehicle in.
I’d like to clarify that I have not ever worked at a parts store or Walmart 😉

You are out of warranty however, what Toyota says straight from the manual below. There is no SAE 30 anything recommended nor authorized by Toyota. Yeah, a half dozen people will claim the manual says something else in spite of it being reproduced right in front of their eyes.
You choose; isToyota and their manual wrong and random guys on the internet and "Skippy" at random Store right?
Untitled.png

Last edited:
You are out of warranty however, what Toyota says straight from the manual below. There is no SAE 30 anything recommended nor authorized by Toyota. Yeah, a half dozen people will claim the manual says something else in spite of it being reproduced right in front of their eyes.
You choose; isToyota and their manual wrong and random guys on the internet and "Skippy" at random Store right?
View attachment 122469
Curious that you cropped out or chose to omit the below bit, as it's from the next page (you posted 507):
Screen Shot 2022-10-22 at 11.39.06 PM.jpg

But of course this is likely what you are alluding to with the bit I bolded and underlined eh?

Curious that you cropped out or chose to omit the below bit, as it's from the next page (you posted 507):
View attachment 122504

But of course this is likely what you are alluding to with the bit I bolded and underlined eh?
I just don't think it is relevant because the manual says this is an example. It recommends 0W-20 and explicitly says 5W-20 can be used, but must be replaced with 0W-20 at the next change. That doesn't leave any room for higher viscosity oils.

That doesn't leave any room for higher viscosity oils.
Not meaning to be rude, but it does to me, when Toyota say "An oil with a higher viscosity....may be better suited...", then that does leave room for higher viscosity oils.

Not saying there is any problem with 0W20 or 5W20, just saying higher viscosity isn't completely off the table.

Especially when you look at the similar 2018 Australian Toyota Camry Hybrid owners manual linked to previously that explicitly lists 0W16, 0W20, 5W20, 5W30, 10W30 and 15W40 as being suitable for their 2.5L VVT-I engine. These Australian Toyota Hybrids are fully imported from Japan and have exactly the same engine as the rest of the world. And yes, it's easy to buy 0W20 in Australia, so it's not a supply issue that some (not you) have claimed.

Of course, most owners here just take their car to the local Toyota dealer, who probably use 0W20 for all I know, it's just that if you do a DIY oil change with something like M1 5W30 (or even GTX 15W40) you still keep your factory warranty.

Last edited:
You can use equal parts 0w20 and 5w30 and make the lesser known 2.5w- 25.... It's the unicorn oil that almost is never found anywhere in the wild.

:LOL:

View attachment 122469
Manufacturers don’t “authorize” a grade. Grades are recommendations.

Back