5w-20 in 100 degree heat? Will it protect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Perhaps I am coming into the fray a bit late, but here is my $0.02:

My experience is the xW-20 fears are WAY overblown. I have used 5W-20 just as Ford specified in my FX4 since birth. It has seen heat in excess of 110F pulling a full load in NV, MT, and WY and the wear metals have only nudged a little higher (from 8/9 PPM to 11/13 PPM) than unloaded in normal temperatures. I have a VCT engine (which is similar in operation to your VVT) and after 80K miles, all is operating normally with no problems and I expect the same will apply at 160K and beyond.

Do I think the wear metals would have been lower than what I have experienced if I used xW-30? Doubtful, my guess is it would be the same or perhaps a bit higher. As callous as this may sound (/flame suit on), there are too many arm chair oil experts that constantly attempt to second guess the highly educated/experienced engineers that design the engines and the oils they are specified to use--and to what end?

Seriously!
I have said this before--How many dead engines are on the side of the road due to use of xW-20? How many miles does an engine running xW-20 have to last to be proven? Twice as long as an engine running thicker oil? Three times? (/flame suit off)

OP - I would run xW-20 in your vehicle with no worries--hot, cold, moderate temperatures, it matters not. If the engine was specified to use xW-20, then use it without worry. I doubt you will pass any dead ones on the way due to the use of xW-20...

Thank you!!!!! I've been saying this for a long time, but usually get strongly flamed by self proclaimed internet "experts".

I always find it amusing that people will trust a car manufacturer to design the suspension, brakes and safety equipment and the rest of the car - but think the manufacturers don't know diddly squat about which oil or how long of an OCI to run in said vehicles.

BTW - before Frank or anyone else brings up the multi-page Honda engine thread, I want to point out that NO ONE knows for sure what caused that problem save for maybe HONDA and they sure aren't talking. Everyone else is only guessing that the OLM was wrong or the wrong oil was used or it was a "bad design".

Also FWIW (admittedly not much) my Mercury has seen 5W-20 for most of it's life. I've traveled through the deserts of California and Arizona many times. There is a very long and steep pass east of Indio on Interstate 10 that I often drive at about 80 MPH or so - sometimes with outside temperature of 115 degrees. My engine hasn't self destructed and recently passed a Ca smog test with flying colors!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: j_mac
I'm running fresh Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w-20 full synthetic in my 2012 Hyundai Accent. I went on a long trip with the AC on all the way and then tooled around downtown Cincinnati with everything up to maximum operating temp. It was nearly 100 degrees that day.
Do you guys think the 5w-20 is up to the task? I know it will stand the heat because its a synthetic, but could it thin down to the point that it could cause trouble with wear, or possibly affect the operation of the variable valve timing mechanism?
I would say that the oil temperature reached its zenith pretty much. I don't envision any conditions where I might push it higher. Unless it gets to 110 degrees and I take this same 150 mile trip.

Short version: If this is what Hyundai calls for as a year-round oil, then they anticipated you using this oil while driving across Death Valley in August on vacation.

If it wasn't for CAFE I think Xw20's would be viewed with a lot less suspicion, that and 20's are kinda the new kid on the block and perceptions about oils take a loooonnnnnggggg time to change LOL.

Heck we still get people on here talking about PYB and QS sludge!

100°+ is a regular summer here.

I run 5W20 in my Mazda 3.0 and 5W30 in my Chrysler Turbo (that is spec'd for 10W30 above 100°)

I'm running fresh Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w-20 full synthetic in my 2012 Hyundai Accent. I went on a long trip with the AC on all the way and then tooled around downtown Cincinnati with everything up to maximum operating temp. It was nearly 100 degrees that day.
Do you guys think the 5w-20 is up to the task? I know it will stand the heat because its a synthetic, but could it thin down to the point that it could cause trouble with wear, or possibly affect the operation of the variable valve timing mechanism?
I would say that the oil temperature reached its zenith pretty much. I don't envision any conditions where I might push it higher. Unless it gets to 110 degrees and I take this same 150 mile trip.

A dino 5W-30 shears to near the same viscosity as a fully synthetic 5W-20. In fact, the HTHS viscosity of a sheared dino 5W-30 could be less than that of a sheared fully synthetic 5W-20. Therefore, I wouldn't worry much as far as wear protection is concerned.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
5W20 will not protect in 100 degrees. Climates

...Except in the millions of engines that it does.

Really? First - do you have any proof of this?
Second - that being the case when is my engine going to die? I just turned 100K miles.
So far it's running great. LOL
No
57.gif
here.

Oh crud. My oil temps regularly get up to 212°F, even in the wintertime. When should I expect my engine to fail?

If today's XW20 weight oils are as good as the straight weight 20 weight oils almost all American cars used back in the 1950's, they should be just fine. As I have recounted many times on this board, I ran a 1954 Ford from new to 140,000 miles by 1959, all on Sinclair 20 weight oil. Car was nowhere near worn out when I sold it in 1959; I was just tired of it.

That is something people do not either remember or never had knowledge of. That Americans have been using 20 grade oils for decades.

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
If today's XW20 weight oils are as good as the straight weight 20 weight oils almost all American cars used back in the 1950's, they should be just fine. As I have recounted many times on this board, I ran a 1954 Ford from new to 140,000 miles by 1959, all on Sinclair 20 weight oil. Car was nowhere near worn out when I sold it in 1959; I was just tired of it.

After QS sludged my slant 6 Valiant engine I started using Valvo straight 20HD in the mid 60s. Then in 78 went to M1 5-20. Never had a problem then and still don't today, even in 100+ degree temps we have had the last two summers.

It is perfectly fine. Our 1.6L GDI engine loves synthetic btw, but conventional oil is also perfectly fine - you just need to change it early - the synthetic you can push beyond the 3750 OCI stated in the manual.

It can be 150 degrees faren and 5w20 will still be fine.

Your engine gets hotter then it will ever be outside, so really who cares if it is 65, 75, 85 or 100F?

Cold weather starts, now that is when outside temps really matter.

I use 5w20 in my zx2 with about 6,000 hours on the car. With the AC going and a few trips to 7,000 rpms. I was 106* a few days ago..

Originally Posted By: dave1251
This type of topic has been beaten to beyond the dead horse phase if that is possible. Just use Chevron Supreme 25W-60 you should be able to get it from a Chevron distributor. But if you have any mechanical failure or warranty issues do not ask me for advice.

Better yet, take the valve cover off and just coat everything in grease. Should be good to go after that.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Engine oil temp is not coolant temp. So disregard this train of misinformation.^

In Summer, oil is MUCH hotter than winter...

Engine oil is strongly correlated to coolant temp in modern engines.

In summer, is the oil in a 2012 Hyundai Accent 100ºF hotter than in winter? I would bet a $30 bill the answer is no.

If the coolant is always the same temp, then how is the oil temp "STRONGLY" tied into it?? You can't have it both ways!

I don't know how or why you came up with the arbitrary temp change of 100 deg F. Why not say 200? 300?
Short trip oil temps have the most temp swings, winter/summer. Long highway use is less. But it is very real and very apparent.
This is why Dr Haas correctly uses a 20 in his extraordinary high end vehicles, when the factory recommends X-60.

If the coolant is always the same temp, then how is the oil temp "STRONGLY" tied into it?? You can't have it both ways!

I'm only having it one way: Coolant temp is regulated through the thermostat, radiators & fans; it is circulated through the coolant passages in the engine block. Oil will shed heat into the coolant through the engine block, oil/coolant heat exchanger (if so equipped) & into the air flowing over the oil pan; similarly it will absorb heat from those sources during warmup. Will the oil have more temperature swings than the coolant? Absolutely but a very damped response. Will it be entirely decoupled as you claim? Not in modern engines, no.

I don't know how or why you came up with the arbitrary temp change of 100 deg F. Why not say 200? 300?

100ºF is a common ambient temperature swing experienced between the extremes of winter and summer in my neck of the woods on the planet Earth. 200 to 300ºF is not. What ambient conditions on what planet are you referring to instead of the ones on my home planet?

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Will the oil have more temperature swings than the coolant? Absolutely but a very damped response. Will it be entirely decoupled as you claim? Not in modern engines, no.

That really depends. In a lot of vehicles, the coolant temperature will stay within a relatively narrow range under a lot of conditions. The oil temperatures can definitely fluctuate depending upon how hard the vehicle is driven, against dependent upon certain conditions.

The old Audi driven at a steady state would keep the coolant temperature in a very narrow range. The oil temperatures, with the coolant temperatures held relatively constant, could vary from 65 C to 95 C. That's a much bigger variation that I would see in coolant temperatures over the same time period.

5W20 will shear out of grade In. Hot temps a lot of worn out hondss motors up here in NYC. 10w30 is the way to go. Very shear stable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back