2016 Ford Transit Connect - 2.5L DOHC I4 - TRIAX Synergy SRT 5w-20 - 6,231 mi

Notes indicated silicon could be an additive in the TRIAX. I might have just enough left in the 5 gallon pail for a VOA to check it out. There are no intake leaks that I'm aware of and the air filter is changed every 35K to 40K miles. This fleet vehicle sees almost entirely city/suburban driving and many short trips.

Previous oils used: Havoline Pro DS 5w-20 (3/27/21), Pennzoil Gold 0w-20 (3/2/20), Amsoil XL 10w-30 (11/18/18), Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5w-20 (2/9/17)

03.28.23 C2 UOA.jpg

About right for these duratecs. 1ppm/1k flashpoint is low but with Blackstone you never know for sure. Could be fuel dilution since they can't measure that right even though it says trace. Or not and they're wrong.

the air filter is changed every 35K to 40K miles
With 80k on the engine, I assume that the air filter has been changed recently. A new air filter will be less efficient than one that has picked up some dust, and the initial efficiency of an air filter will be especially poor for particle sizes that are too small to be picked up by the oil filter, which are the ones that will show up in a UOA. So, some increase in silicon would be expected, but I would still check the airbox for signs of dust. The filter could have a poor seal.

With 80k on the engine, I assume that the air filter has been changed recently. A new air filter will be less efficient than one that has picked up some dust, and the initial efficiency of an air filter will be especially poor for particle sizes that are too small to be picked up by the oil filter, which are the ones that will show up in a UOA. So, some increase in silicon would be expected, but I would still check the airbox for signs of dust. The filter could have a poor seal.
It was changed probably around 7K miles ago, if I remember correctly. I'd have to check the log, but I agree with you. I'll be checking the seal and anything else I can easily see.

Good report & the silicon may be a blip or loose seal around the intake, Also, this may be a long shot. Triax might have some Virgin Oil sample testing that shows what this oils silicon may start at. I used their Triax FS 75/140 Gear lube for my truck's axle's/Diff. Great price!

Back