5W-20 and 0W-20 - why not in turbocharged engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sprintman, thanks for the info. Haven't received a reply yet from the headquarters here in the States, but the prices I'm seeing for the Titan GT-1 on the Fuchs site are--gulp--$25 per quart!!
freak2.gif
Yikes this must be great stuff! (And here us Redline users thought we were living large at $7.25 qt!!
grin.gif
)

Let me think on that one as so many results to ponder. But Fuchs Titan GT 1 0W20 easily the new champion at 140lbs pressure and that's stretching the limit of our Timken so could be even better. The anti-wear package from **** and zero ZDDP to boot.

The Titan series is not available in the US. They don't sell any synthetic motor oil here.

Yeah, I know this thread is from 2003!
grin2.gif
spankme2.gif

But it is now almost 2012, and my question is this:

Are there any automobile manufacturers in North America or Europe who are specifying a 5W20 or 0W20 oil in a turbocharged motor?

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
grin2.gif
spankme2.gif

Are there any automobile manufacturers in North America or Europe who are specifying a 5W20 or 0W20 oil in a turbocharged motor?

"The new 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine features normal gasoline engine service intervals of 7,500 miles and uses the same 5W20 engine lubricating oil as Ford specifies for other gasoline engines"

Source: http://mrtruck.net/ecoboost.htm

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
grin2.gif
spankme2.gif

"The new 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine features normal gasoline engine service intervals of 7,500 miles and uses the same 5W20 engine lubricating oil as Ford specifies for other gasoline engines"

Source: http://mrtruck.net/ecoboost.htm

The EcoBoost F150s call for 5W-30, and I believe I remember reading that the SHO and EB Flex went to 5W-30 for 2011 as well.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
............and I believe I remember reading that the SHO and EB Flex went to 5W-30 for 2011 as well.

Just took a quick look at the ford flex forum, and looks like 2011 ecoboost Flex now requires 5W30, but 2010 are still allowed to use 5W20?

http://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4010

I wonder if Ford was getting too many turbo failures with 5W20.

Back in my turbo days, it became quite clear, quite quickly, that thin oils resulted in high lead readings. Mostly due to bearing loads and high oil temps.

I'm not surprised that many modern turbo engines avoid 0W-20 and 5W-20 as recommended oils.

Remember that piston ring loading is considerably higher in boosted engines.

I use 20 grade oils in the Maybach 57s AMG and Bentley GTC (update: traded in on a 2011 Flying Spur Speed a month ago). Oil analysis showed normal wear and tear in these engines running around the 600 BHP mark. Both of these are twin turbos.

The Enzo (650 BHP) running a 0W-30 oil (10W-60 spec'ed) shows less than 1/2 the wear of my next door neighbor's car run under the exact same conditions using the OEM oil.

aehaas

Last edited:
Wasn't Mazda also recommending a 5W20 in their 4 cyl turbo motor?

No, never.

Originally Posted By: metroplex
If 5W-20 and 0W-20 are "so great" for Ford's OHC V8s, why aren't they spec'd for use in engines like Subaru's turbocharged 2.0 and 2.5 motors or Porsche engines? They're also OHC but they just have turbochargers.

I would think the 20 weight can't handle the heat from the turbocharger.

What do you think?

The turbo is a good point, but dont forget about how much power is transferred through the crankpin. Those Ford V8s are barely working. We're talking 35hp/cyl vs 66hp per cyl on a 2.0L Subaru with 500cc/cyl.

Originally Posted By: AEHaas
I use 20 grade oils in the Maybach 57s AMG and Bentley GTC (update: traded in on a 2011 Flying Spur Speed a month ago). Oil analysis showed normal wear and tear in these engines running around the 600 BHP mark. Both of these are twin turbos.

The Enzo (650 BHP) running a 0W-30 oil (10W-60 spec'ed) shows less than 1/2 the wear of my next door neighbor's car run under the exact same conditions using the OEM oil.

aehaas

With such powerful engines, it is truly difficult to use much of the power for extended periods of time. Contrast that with a 4 cylinder ecoboost Ford Explorer. Where the engine may spend significant time under very high loads. I drive an ecoboost pickup truck and am amazed at how much load the engine is under. Cylinder pressures are exceptionally high. In my case, while towing our company glider, for hours on end.

I've driven the Enzo and the McLaren F1 and the Maybach. All three cars make it impossible to use full power for anything more than a few seconds on the street.

I'm not surprised you see lower wear metals with thinner oil. Probably due to the ratio of time spent under heavy load.

Would you suspect I'd see thinner oil = lower wear numbers in our F150 Ecoboost while towing? My experience says otherwise.

Originally Posted By: AEHaas
I use 20 grade oils in the Maybach 57s AMG and Bentley GTC (update: traded in on a 2011 Flying Spur Speed a month ago). Oil analysis showed normal wear and tear in these engines running around the 600 BHP mark. Both of these are twin turbos................aehaas

Are you comfortable with the 20 weight oils for long, extended trips on the interstate at 70mph and faster?

Do the Maybach and Bentley manufacturers specify 5W40 and 0W40?

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I've driven the Enzo and the McLaren F1 and the Maybach. All three cars make it impossible to use full power for anything more than a few seconds on the street.

Ha, if you're trying to make me jealous, you're doing a good job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back