3 New Fram FS3506 filters - all different construction!!!

I made a video yesterday comparing Purolator ONE with Fram Titanium, I decided to go with the Fram. So today I went to Advance Auto Parts - there were three FS3506 filters on the selves … and all three were different designs.

This is super frustrating because you never know what you’re getting with Fram.

Buy the one in the middle! The louvered one won't be wire backed... If I buy them from AAP, I go in the store & look at them before I order them. The AAPs in rough neighborhoods don't sell many premium filters-that's where I look! Or just buy the MUCH CHEAPER endurance from Walmart.

I can see that the media in the Titanium with the louvers is not wire-backed.

1700167367072.jpg

I made a video yesterday comparing Purolator ONE with Fram Titanium, I decided to go with the Fram. So today I went to Advance Auto Parts - there were three FS3506 filters on the selves … and all three were different designs.

This is super frustrating because you never know what you’re getting with Fram.

Just to quote my last reply from your other thread. This was expected, when I went to horde all the FS3600s within a 50 mile radius of my house. I saw exactly what you see of the media and center tube variations. In some AAP stores, not all Titanium filters are moving quickly and you might get lucky finding plenty of old stock like I did. Also check CarQuest as well, I manage to secure a lot of old stock of Titaniums, even in factory boxes in a case of 6 if you ask the clerk if they have more in the backroom.
Hey Robvette, you can still find metal wire backed Titaniums, just be sure to open the boxes at the store and look at the batch date code printed on the filter near the Fram logo that goes by "A#####" example: A10232. Any Fram Titanium oil filter you come across that has a batch code of A2#### and A3#### will not have any metal wire backing. Some A2 batches do have wire backing but around some point looking at the date code on my FS3600 stash anything probably above A23001 will not have wire backing as the the last datecode on one I bought marked A22053 on the filter has pink wire backed media.

Also its weird because I saw some Titanium cartridge filters for my brothers 2010 Prius that has pink wire metal backing that had a batch code of M32042.

Why not just go with the Synthetic Endurance option?.

FRAM no longer lists the Titanium with wire backing so it is most likely all going to the Ultra construction to simplify their offerings. It is very likely the only wire backed filter from FRAM will be the Synthetic Endurance when they are done switching everything.

Buy the one in the middle! The louvered one won't be wire backed... If I buy them from AAP, I go in the store & look at them before I order them. The AAPs in rough neighborhoods don't sell many premium filters-that's where I look! Or just buy the MUCH CHEAPER endurance from Walmart.
Agreeing with this, the Endurance is only 50 cents more than the Titanium but you loose out on the AAP discount when purchasing large orders and discount perks included.

The Endurance is a thicker can and can be longer or shorter than the comparable Ultra/Titanium filters of the related filter number, at least from what I've seen shopping around. Only downside is you're stuck with louvers in a hit or miss chance.

Agreeing with this, the Endurance is only 50 cents more than the Titanium but you loose out on the AAP discount when purchasing large orders and discount perks included.

The Endurance is a thicker can and can be longer or shorter than the comparable Ultra/Titanium filters of the related filter number, at least from what I've seen shopping around. Only downside is you're stuck with louvers in a hit or miss chance.
While I think closed louvers is unacceptable it is not just a FRAM issue and all manufacturers need to get their quality control in place in regards to that but you and everyone on here should be aware of this possibility and it only takes 10 seconds to open the box and inspect the filter to visually see if the louvers are open.

Allow me to quote myself from another thread ....

dnewton3 said:
Lube oil filters are essentially a commodity now; they are bought/sold/traded all willy-nilly. Most of the big companies are outsourcing to get a lower price-point, just to compete. It's getting to a point where I expect each company will only set a one-year contract with some brand X "maker" of filters, and then shop a RFQ again the very next year, to find the better bargain for their balance sheet.

It's really sad for us who actually pay attention to what's inside the filter, not what's on the printed box.

For a long time, I was not a fan of cartridge filters; they are a tad more messy and time consuming to change. But, at least with a cartridge filter, you can SEE THE FILTER in its naked form PRIOR to installing it; that means a lot these days. My new Lexus ES350 is my first car with a cartridge filter, and I'm beginning to appreciate it more every day in regards to O&FCIs.

Bottom line: filters are changing faster than we can cut them open and track them. As soon as you think you've picked "the best one", it won't be a month from now. While I appreciate Robvette's efforts, they mean little because whatever he discovers now won't be applicable in the near future. It's a crapshoot.

Allow me to quote myself from another thread ....

Bottom line: filters are changing faster than we can cut them open and track them. As soon as you think you've picked "the best one", it won't be a month from now. While I appreciate Robvette's efforts, they mean little because whatever he discovers now won't be applicable in the near future. It's a crapshoot.

So many options and so many changes. That is why I just ran with Purolator Ones until BITOG gave me a legitimate reason not to. Then I just ran with Fram Ultras until BITOG gave me a legitimate reason not to. Now I'm just running with Fram Synthetic Endurance... until BITOG...

Crap. I might have jinxed em.

FRAM no longer lists the Titanium with wire backing

I was looking at Fram’s website this morning and they still list the Titanium as being wire backed.

“Metal Screen Back Synthetic Blend Media™ increases dirt-trapping and dirt-holding capacity for higher levels of engine protection and longer filter life, exceeding today’s synthetic oil change intervals.”

Back