3 New Fram FS3506 filters - all different construction!!!

I looked at a Fram TG cartridge filter for a Mercedes 3.2 v6 and didn't like the look of it. The folds were so tight you couldn't tell what type of media they used. Plus thick glue top and bottom.

^^^ Yep you are looking for old stock. Or give up and get Endurance from Wally's.
The Endurance does seem like a good option, BUT it also seems to be the exact same filter as the Royal Purple - yet the test results for these supposedly identical filters were very different:
IMG_9822.jpg

IMG_9819.jpg

Could you use the XG5 (PH5) Ultra? I have a fair amount of wire backed OG Ultra ones, my diesel 6.2 Sierra is gone & my brother's Jeep SBC has been laid up for a couple years now.
Sadly just about everything I've seen that uses the 3506,3675,or 9837 has a small mounting plate that won't accomodate anything larger than a 3in diameter filter, otherwise I'd run an XG5 on my Trailblazer.

The Endurance does seem like a good option, BUT it also seems to be the exact same filter as the Royal Purple - yet the test results for these supposedly identical filters were very different:View attachment 189007
View attachment 189008

I enjoyed that Fram video, but that guy is way too animated with his hands for discussing filtration. He's like a politician or my drunk Italian relatives with those movements.

The Endurance does seem like a good option, BUT it also seems to be the exact same filter as the Royal Purple - yet the test results for these supposedly identical filters were very different:View attachment 189007
View attachment 189008
I'd take their test results with a grain of salt, there's a reason why Ascent charges $500 to do ISO 4548 testing, and you can't just Jerry-rig a good ISO 4548-12 testing rig in your garage, I did some light reading and I don't think they mentioned anything at all about drying the dirt and leaving it in a desiccated container until use which is perhaps one of the most important parts of the testing procedure as the dirt containing any moisture can very easily agglomerate.

The Endurance does seem like a good option, BUT it also seems to be the exact same filter as the Royal Purple - yet the test results for these supposedly identical filters were very different:
Three things: 1) Using only half of the particle count data range to try and rate the overall efficiency of oil filters is a far cry from an actual ISO 1548-12 efficiency test. They should have been getting PC tests for the entire particle range of an ISO 4406 PC test which would give a better data set to rate the results. 2) It's possible that the Endurance has slightly different filter media (Fram specifies the media), and 3) Fram rates the Endurance as 99+% at 20u based on 3 different sized filters, but Royal Purple doesn't claim that same efficiency ... another indication that the media might be different.

And another thing, the Purolator Boss PBL10241 they tested came in "better" than the Ultra and Royal Purple in the 21-38u range, but the Spec Sheet from Purolator/M+H shows the efficiency for that filter to be 99% >46u and 50% @ 22u ... so how does that make any sense that it was better in the PC test? Doesn't add up.

1700252406984.jpg

I also question BrandRanks testing methodology on capacity loading. They seem to set a pressure drop threshold than actually load up the filters until the bypass valve opens.

I'd take their test results with a grain of salt, there's a reason why Ascent charges $500 to do ISO 4548 testing
Way more than that for the full blown test like done in the Ascent testing thread.

I also question BrandRanks testing methodology on capacity loading. They seem to set a pressure drop threshold than actually load up the filters until the bypass valve opens.
They tried to mirror the ISO test where a pressure drop above new (like 8 PSI) is used. You don't want the bypass valve to open.

So I did it. I drove around and found wire backed Fram Titanium filters for my Corvettes.

Then, like a total sicko, I unboxed them, sealed them up in plastic bags, put them back in boxes and neatly taped the boxes closed.
IMG_9845.jpeg

IMG_9849.jpeg

Also, I bought more filters and cut them open:
IMG_9810.jpeg

The Endurance is really good, but I just love the PowerFlow baseplate of the Titanium so much!
IMG_9733.jpeg

Look at how pathetic the Endurance base plate looks in comparison:

IMG_9804.jpeg

The Endurance louvers are legit open tho:
IMG_9811.jpeg

Weight of the OEM AC Delco filter:
IMG_9800.jpeg

Endurance weighs more than 50% more!!!!
IMG_9799.jpeg

Can you fit the longer 9837/3675 size? You can find a lot of 6 of the XG9837 filters on eBay for $30 from SAE-Auto, I think some people here have had ok luck buying from them. The 9837/3675 is about 3/4in taller than the 3506, the difference between the 3675 and 9837 would typically be whether the filter has an ADBV or not, but the ADBV is integral to the Ultra's design so the XG9837 has an ADBV even though the TG and Extra Guard variants do not.

1700277694247.jpeg
There is nothing wrong with those base plate holes. Way more total flow area than the center oil flow hole on the mount spud the filter screws on to. Besides, positive displacement oil pump (the most misunderstood component of an oiling system) will not care one bit if there is a Titanium or Endurance on the engine.

So I did it. I drove around and found wire backed Fram Titanium filters for my Corvettes.

Then, like a total sicko, I unboxed them, sealed them up in plastic bags, put them back in boxes and neatly taped the boxes closed.
View attachment 189072

View attachment 189073

View attachment 189074
The Endurance is really good, but I just love the PowerFlow baseplate of the Titanium so much!
View attachment 189077

View attachment 189075
View attachment 189076
View attachment 189078
View attachment 189079

Um guess I'm now part of the BITOG filter horde club. Nice stash.

Psst! do you have some of them um metal wire backed pink media filters?

20231117_210456.jpg

Just finished sorting them by date/batch code and put them back in my ammo cans.

Can you fit the longer 9837/3675 size? You can find a lot of 6 of the XG9837 filters on eBay for $30 from SAE-Auto, I think some people here have had ok luck buying from them. The 9837/3675 is about 3/4in taller than the 3506, the difference between the 3675 and 9837 would typically be whether the filter has an ADBV or not, but the ADBV is integral to the Ultra's design so the XG9837 has an ADBV even though the TG and Extra Guard variants do not.
Yeah was gonna say the 9837 is about 4 inches tall, the FE version is 4.5 inches tall.

Allow me to quote myself from another thread ....

Bottom line: filters are changing faster than we can cut them open and track them. As soon as you think you've picked "the best one", it won't be a month from now. While I appreciate Robvette's efforts, they mean little because whatever he discovers now won't be applicable in the near future. It's a crapshoot.
I've always purchased the cheapest filter's, knowing it is just a filter and any will be better than nothing and after factoring in a lifespan is about 6 months no other thought has went into the device.. not thinking about it has served me well since I bought my first car in 1976.. :)

View attachment 189072

View attachment 189073

View attachment 189074
View attachment 189077

View attachment 189075
View attachment 189076
View attachment 189078
View attachment 189079
Looks good-but you need some desiccant in those bags to be a true obsessive-compulsive BITOGer! (Disclaimer, I have some in bags with desiccant…)

Back