3 consecutive UOAs for 09 Traverse 3.6L DI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
I think you could have gone farther (if you wanted to) on either run, especially the summer (lookit that TBN!

Thanks Jim for the input.

I cut short this most recent OCI as the car went in to the dealership for a timing chain cover gasket replaccement. I was lucky enough to pump a sample a week earlier.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2216869#Post2216869

Regarding that last summer run of XD...I am convinced that the high TBN # is a lab error given that the posted virgin TBN # is 8...something wasn't quite right.

Originally Posted By: ddean
No flashpoint or fuel percentage makes it hard to tell how bad the fuel contamination is on this engine but this looks better than most considering the short trips and cold weather. Low TBN and lower viscosity seems to point to a lot of fuel in the oil this past winter. Try taking a half hour or longer highway trip after the engine has warmed up every few weeks if possible.

I thought Toromont tested for fuel; I guess not.

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
so I can right now conclude that this engine is best protected using a more robust (HDEO), thicker[/]oil
that is usually the case. Especially where a more robust thicker oil is needed!!! You wont read that in oil 101 .

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I thought Toromont tested for fuel; I guess not.

TOROMONT Labs does test for the presence of gasoline albeit not numerically specific i.e. NEGLIGIBLE or POSITIVE (two winters ago I had a red flagged POSITIVE reading).

The reason that FUEL (and water) shows NEGLIGIBLE for all 3 shown UOAs is due to my sampling technique. Each time the car was driven for HWY miles just prior to sampling and then a sample was drawn immediately after using a Blackstone hand pump.

Thanks for the update. My 09 Outlook 3.6 DI has had nothing buy synpower 5w30 since new. My current OLM is at 53% after 5 months
of North Dakota winter nothing but very very short trips. I looked at the oil today and it's very black only after 2,300 miles. Fuel diltion?

How does the reprogram of the OLM affected the %. In other words if I am at 53% now, what would that value be if the OLM had been reprogramed?

I keep stating I need a UOA, maybe now is the time...

Originally Posted By: Ross
after 5 months
of North Dakota winter nothing but very very short trips. I looked at the oil today and it's very black only after 2,300 miles.

Yes that is classified as severe service (cold weather short trips). But dont be alarmed by the oil's colour. Mine is dark have 500 miles even with easy HWY driving.

How does the reprogram of the OLM affected the %. In other words if I am at 53% now, what would that value be if the OLM had been reprogramed?

I dont know if anyone will ever be able to answer that except by saying the OLM will rundown (much) more quickly.

I keep stating I need a UOA, maybe now is the time...

Please do Ross. Synpower almost always generates good UOAs for a wide range of vehicles. And so I would like to see how it does in this difficult application.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back