3.8 still burning oil after Auto-RX, use Restore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
14k miles, 2 AutoRx cycles...... and we ask him to continue with this consumption???? Forget about it!

1st, when you have excessive oil consumption, you need to have compression and leakdown test performed. Make sure the engine is good enough to invest in. I'll assume that the performance and MPG are reasonable since you still drive it every day.

2nd, its just too easy to step up to a thicker weight. 15w40 is cheap enough to use at your next OCI. If it doesn't reduce consumption, then try something else. If it does work, you'll have to $pend for a 0w40 or 5w40 for winter usage. 15w might not be good for those cold winter starts.

3rd, regardless what anyone says against Restore Engine Restorer, I would definitely give it a try and post the results right here. At your next Havoline 5w30 oil change, 1st toss in a bottle of the Restore. Since you have major consumption, make sure you use the bigger can of Restore.

You can UOA your oil by taking a sample and sending it to any lab. Blackstonelabs will send out a sampling bottle for you. Blackstone is just one of many companies that tests oil. See the UOA sections here for more info.

Hum, I think the car if everything is running okay, tests alright et al... should be fed a diet of Heavy Duty Engine Oil.... perhaps some HI milage on the thick side ???

Shoot, after changing to a heavy weight for a couple OCI's if that don't take care of it, then I'd reason with a couple cans of RESTORE. Used it before with some (several results) in favor of it (real world experience).

But first, is always to go heavier IMO.

I would if it were mine, even think on adding a few ounces of a thickener to a standard oil to use up what you already may have. So for instance, if you have several OCI's of a thinner weight, buy one bottle of the thickener. Don't throw good money after bad.

BUt in the short of it. It may be excessive IYO, and it can be better, but it's not the end of the world, and your car if everything checks out could last an additional 100000 or more maybe much more with it burning that bad.

Changing oil does matter. Some cars just don't like certain brands.

I've had oil burners before, many in fact and you'd be surprised how far they will go, continual to the drop of what they do burn. Just watch out if consumption INCREASES from here on out.

If you want to do a oil test go ahead if you have the extra dough, but then keep in mind it takes a series of them to even have a clue of what is normal. Be prepared to count the costs if money is tight, and if not, then do what you fell like.

Just for my information, how much soot is collected in the tailpipe and is it very ashy or is it tacky?
deadhorse.gif

You're ok, Frank. Anyone who's looked at the sticky up top should know that the effects trail the application by a good bit.

I see some over reactions here to cure something that's more of a annoyance than anything else. He's not reporting loss of power or fouled plugs ..no smoke ..no excessive blow-by ...no other drivabilty issues. We don't like consumption ..but as undummy says, it's not the end of the world and may have no impact on longevity.

By the way you described it, your consumption is flat. That is, it's a quart every 1500+/-. I would switch brands ..and maybe see if a 10w-30 with a like 100C CST visc does the same thing. If so ..then it may be something coped with by going to higher visc. If not, then you have a shearing issue or some other fatigue component that occurs relatively soon into an oil change.

Quote:

Wouldn't running 15/40 make my oil pump work harder?

It will require more energy to pump the oil.

If you want to give it a try, go buy the Rotella T synthetic. It's a great buy and will somewhat offset the liabilities of heavier oil. If you see your consumption retreat ...pull a happy dance in the driveway. If not, go back to your 5w-30 of choice and live with the consumption.

Not all things have practical solutions and there can be no ROI on going to too great a lengths to some solve some problems when there's no multi-dimensional issue going on.

Do a UOA. If you've got the spare cash ..use Terry.

I would use Shell Rotella 5W-40 that's found at any of your nearest Walmart stores -- plus two applications of Neutra 131.

Your engine is a non-sludge model. Someone neglected this engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back