Does risoline high mileage oil treatment actually cleans the engine?

My 2015.5 Volvo xc60 is eating oil at a rate of a qt every 1k miles or so. It's not leaking since no puddles, it's just burning it. The car most likely is suffering from the soft piston ring issue but before I drop $4k on an engine rebuild I would like to reduce the oil consumption for at least the next few months to a year. The car has 88k miles on it.

Well here my suggestion and I'm probably going to be chewed out. From what I read the issue on these Volvo piston rings is the design. However most of the failures is due to horrible varnish, carbon etc build on the the piston rings and groves. The issue is the way the piston rings displace the oil there is no soft piston ring issues. So in order to address this most likely culprit we need to clean these pistons as much as possible. Then use good oil to maintain them as clean as possible.

I would recommend using Amsoil Signature 5w-30. It's one of the best oil consumption reduction in the market. Also would so several treatments (2-3) of their engine oil flush. Now if after this is done and there is no improvement then we can go ahead and change the engine. There is a good chance that if indeed this its piston build up this might restore your engine to acceptable levels and never require a new engine.

The reason I recommended Amsoil is the fact that's its excellent. I'm not a dealer or sponsored just the average Joe. Now if this wont fix it. Then Its safe to say your pistons are truly in need of a replacement because its something that oil will not fix. Now you can probably do all of the above with seafoam and good name brand synthetic from your local grocery/ auto store. However. Signature series is known very well for greatly reducing oil consumption and keeping engines extremely clean. It might take an oil change or two to gets these results we are hoping for. Once the pistons clean themselves over time you would be able to down grade to a cheaper line of Amsoil or even a big name synthetics.

Look there^^. You can try a piston soak, but that might be hard to do on this engine. One poster noted using the Valvoline 10W-30 Premium Blue "RESTORE" ester based oil (which is hard to find and you'll have to probably go to a OTR trucking dealership parts counter to find it) as a cleaner and using PEA FI cleaners seemed to help, I'd try using an air-intake cleaner with FI cleaner in the tank was well:

Rislone is an effective product for sludge and other deposits as is HPL Engine Cleaner, but not sure they'll do enough in the top part of the piston ring area...

I'd also look at Mobil 1 0W-40 FS after cleaning for in combination if not the Valvoline PB...

Last edited:
A quick search didn't find any VOA of Rislone where oxidation was run. If it doesn't contain esters with high solvency, then it won't do you much good around the rings. Chances are that you're burning oil past the rings.

HPL's Engine Cleaner would be more effective in that region as it's ester-based with a stout HDMO add pack.

Use 1 part HPL EC to 5 parts engine oil for a short OCI. Then switch to HPL PCMO for a few oil changes. Their regular PCMO and HDMO oils clean more aggressively than their EC does.

My 2015.5 Volvo xc60 is eating oil at a rate of a qt every 1k miles or so. It's not leaking since no puddles, it's just burning it. The car most likely is suffering from the soft piston ring issue but before I drop $4k on an engine rebuild I would like to reduce the oil consumption for at least the next few months to a year. The car has 88k miles on it.
A lot of people have had good results with Riselone.
I’ve never had a sludges engine but I do use it as regulator maintenance just to help keep everything clean. I just use cheap oil and can get Rislone 1qt bottles for less than a qt of cheap oil costs.
You could try and see if it helps. If so you probably can save the $4k.
Some people, as a last ditch effort, have reported success with using Berrymans chemtool as and engine flush in the oil(1 1/2 to 2 oz per court) put in a cold engine and the idled (not driven) for 10 to 30 min.
If a cleaner or flush reduces the consumption much ya know it’s just caked rings.
As someone mentioned, you could buy a lot of oil for 4k.
I’d try and clean it up and if not just let it burn oil. You might could go a long time still burning oil. The decide on an expensive repair or not

Last edited:
A quick search didn't find any VOA of Rislone where oxidation was run. If it doesn't contain esters with high solvency, then it won't do you much good around the rings. Chances are that you're burning oil past the rings.

HPL's Engine Cleaner would be more effective in that region as it's ester-based with a stout HDMO add pack.

Use 1 part HPL EC to 5 parts engine oil for a shor OCI. Then switch to HPL PCMO for a few oil changes. Their regular PCMO and HDMO oils clean more aggressively than

A lot of people have had good results with Riselone.
I’ve never had a sludges engine but I do use it as regulator maintenance just to help keep everything clean. I just use cheap oil and can get Rislone 1qt bottles for less than a qt of cheap oil costs.
You could try and see if it helps. If so you probably can save the $4k.
Some people, as a last ditch effort, have reported success with using Berrymans chemtool as and engine flush in the oil(1 1/2 to 2 oz per court) put in a cold engine and the idled (not driven) for 10 to 30 min.
If a cleaner or flush reduces the consumption much ya know it’s just caked rings.
As someone mentioned, you could buy a lot of oil for 4k.
I’d try and clean it up and if not just let it burn oil. You might could go a long time still burning oil. The decide on an expensive repair or not
Is oil consumption the only thing for me to worry about? The lawsuit against Volvo also states that the pistons could fly out at highway speeds as the result of this defect.

The lawsuit against Volvo also states that the pistons could fly out at highway speeds as the result of this defect.
Make sure you have a dash cam aimed at the hood wherever you go from now on!

As a couple people have noted, esters and/or alkylated napthalenes are required to be able to clean the rings and ring lands.

You’ve really got 3 choices: Mobil 1 FS 0w40, HPL Engine Cleaner at a 20% sump treat rate, or HPL PCEO or higher tier in your engine’s viscosity. As Rdy4War mentioned, your safest and fastest bet is to use the EC for 5k miles, then change the oil and filter to 100% HPL oil. If this hasn’t helped after 2 OCI’s, I’d switch to a lower-cost high mileage oil and just ride it out.

If there’s a class action suit against Volvo, has it been decided yet? If so, don’t waste any time with this and get them to replace it. 👍🏻

Make sure you have a dash cam aimed at the hood wherever you go from now on!

As a couple people have noted, esters and/or alkylated napthalenes are required to be able to clean the rings and ring lands.

You’ve really got 3 choices: Mobil 1 FS 0w40, HPL Engine Cleaner at a 20% sump treat rate, or HPL PCEO or higher tier in your engine’s viscosity. As Rdy4War mentioned, your safest and fastest bet is to use the EC for 5k miles, then change the oil and filter to 100% HPL oil. If this hasn’t helped after 2 OCI’s, I’d switch to a lower-cost high mileage oil and just ride it out.

If there’s a class action suit against Volvo, has it been decided yet? If so, don’t waste any time with this and get them to replace it. 👍🏻
Yes but in order to have it replaced I will need the $500 oil consumption test and $1100 pcv flame trap (or something like that) replacement done before they even consider having the pistons replaced. And currently I am between jobs, my contract expired.

Use 1 part HPL EC to 5 parts engine oil for a short OCI. Then switch to HPL PCMO for a few oil changes. Their regular PCMO and HDMO oils clean more aggressively than their EC does.

How would you pick up ester content on a $25 VOA? What did the HPL VOA say about ester content? I think EC is a good product and probably more potent than Rislone, but that doesn't make Rislone a bad product. It's been stated that it contains at least 11% esters and the newer, concentrated "High Mileage" is probably more than that. Also Rislone High Mileage Engine Treatment is about a third the price of HPL...

Is oil consumption the only thing for me to worry about? The lawsuit against Volvo also states that the pistons could fly out at highway speeds as the result of this defect.
Apparently not if there a valid lawsuit against them for “pistons flying out at highway speeds”! That’s crazy! Anyway hope yours isn’t that problematic or if so you can get them to fix it.

Clean out your throttle with CRC GDi cleaner and let that soak for an hour. Drop a bottle of Redline Si-1(16oz) into the tank that's around half or more full right before the hour is up as it treats 100 gallons. I keep the four ounce Si2 around and Dave confirmed they treat roughly 20 gallons so do the math. Run it on the highway around 2500-3500 for thirty minutes. Bring home, let it cool down. In the next few days I recommend the BG EPR flush along with M1 0w40 and Liquimoly Motor Oil Saver additive.

Rislone HM used as directed does a nice job cleaning things up. It might help.
It's most likely going to take longer than our OP can or will wait. I am not a big solvent flush fan but I think time is against him as to why I pushed BG. If he had/has more time he should run the @High Performance Lubricants EC30 as it's surely safer. Again, it's why I recommend the Motor Oil Saver after as it's usually used after the LM Flush additive. I wouldnt have an issue in this instance if I wanted to use the LM Lifter Additive in conjunction as it does help with lubrication and after speaking with 🇸🇪 Stefan in technical has said it's also has ability to clean rings but at what rate he couldn't pinpoint.

It's most likely going to take longer than our OP can or will wait. I am not a big solvent flush fan but I think time is against him as to why I pushed BG. If he had/has more time he should run the @High Performance Lubricants EC30 as it's surely safer. Again, it's why I recommend the Motor Oil Saver after as it's usually used after the LM Flush additive. I wouldnt have an issue in this instance if I wanted to use the LM Lifter Additive in conjunction as it does help with lubrication and after speaking with 🇸🇪 Stefan in technical has said it's also has ability to clean rings but at what rate he couldn't pinpoint.
A two bottle dose starts to clean things up in a 100 miles. Then follow it up with a bottle for an OCI. Sometimes patience is a virtue.

I used LM saver on the past two OCIs to no apparent effect. It was still burning at the same rate.

A two bottle dose starts to clean things up in a 100 miles. Then follow it up with a bottle for an OCI. Sometimes patience is a virtue.
I wonder why most around here do not seriously look at Risolone, No one wants to seems to dig into it and see if it actually works.

It appears to be ester based and that seems to be all the rage around here.

I wonder why most around here do not seriously look at Risolone, No one wants to seems to dig into it and see if it actually works.

It appears to be ester based and that seems to be all the rage around here.
There are a few of us that used it with good results and posted about it. When posting about an engine cleaning product you have to be in the mood for some push back. That goes for a lot of products that get favorable press here. ;) I'm not a fan of flushes, but there are people here that had good results with them too.

One poster noted using the Valvoline 10W-30 Premium Blue "RESTORE" ester based oil (which is hard to find and you'll have to probably go to a OTR trucking dealership parts counter to find it) as a cleaner and using PEA FI cleaners seemed to help, I'd try using an air-intake cleaner with FI cleaner in the tank was well:

Looks like premium blue restore is available again. Read some comments in the past saying it was discontinued

screen-shot-2023-08-11-at-4-42-35-pm-png.172157

Screen Shot 2023-08-11 at 4.42.40 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-08-11 at 4.42.35 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-08-11 at 4.42.35 PM.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 1,069
Last edited:
Back