250000 mile Chrysler 3.8 under valve cover view…Wow.

That is a clean engine. I always like a lot of Mopar for their look and always wish the engineers can’t being hampered by the bean counters to make great designs become substandard in reliability to save a few bucks for their bonus and such. It is already shameful that Mopar hadn’t been American owned for many years now.

I used to change oil on a number of these and a lot of 3.3 vans back when I worked in the Pennzoil express lube. I saw a few of both that used oil but (3.8 might have been a bit worse for it) but they always seemed to be neglected, the ones that were low on oil. And they certainly weren't burning a qt in 1000 miles like I've heard, or they would be run out and seized up as most people don't check anymore. I always thought they were a good engine. We saw a few intake gasket leaks and lots of TIPM problems but very few engine problems. Even the transmissions weren't as bad as the older ones by this point.
Prophetic - I need to change the IM gaskets on our 3.3 when weather permits. Lots of orange crunchies, and now some liquid and hot coolant smell. It's time.

Prophetic - I need to change the IM gaskets on our 3.3 when weather permits. Lots of orange crunchies, and now some liquid and hot coolant smell. It's time.
Yeah we did a number of them. Sometimes the manifold itself will be pitted. Same thing happened on the edelbrock intake on my 350 Oldsmobile. Some rtv to fill in the pitting might so you don't have to replace the intake manifold.

Mopar ATF+4. Based on how it smelled when I did the pan drop. Also, the amount of grime on the engine block where the dealership’s pressure washer didn’t reach definitely looked like engine was original.

Last edited:
Weeping VCG fixed this morning. Could not believe how it looks under here. 2 owners prior to me, 2007 T&C just purchased. Some maintenance done, some deferred, overall in great shape. Also doesn’t use oil like the 3.8 is known to. Over 2k miles driven with no noticeable oil use.

View attachment 204844

View attachment 204845
OEM or TaylorMade performance wires??

Over the years, I've learned to like these engines. These are not power houses but pretty reliable. I still have my Dad's 2000 GC with the 3.8L at ~142k miles. I don't put a whole lot of miles on it but love it as a utility vehicle for hauling stuff. It uses on average ~0.5 qts / 1300 miles but half of that is probably from a leaky timing cover gasket.
I want to take off the front valve cover to look and see what it looks like since I last replaced the valve cover gaskets at ~80k.
I'm still on the stock transmission (only had to change the solenoid module once) and have increased its fluid change frequency to keep it going.

Back