Used Review- '17 Nissan Armada Platinum

The current Armada is a decontented Patrol. Weaker diffs, light duty suspension, 2WD option, etc.

Nissan rolled out the current comfort-oriented Patrol in the world market about 10 years ago and it was a massive flop for one huge reason, no diesel engines. Only the VQ 4.0 and the 5.6. No diesel means no range, no fuel economy and nobody wants to buy it.

The 4.5TDTT in the land cruiser lineup has something like a 98% take rate on the 200 and it’s the only option on the 70 series. V8 gasoline engines are a complete non-starter for the vast majority of customers and in the case of Toyota you can see right here in the states just how little effort they put into them.

Last edited:
wabbout an older one ? would it be more Patrol-ish ? Not interested in towing as long as it has a good roof rack. Do they have a low range?
An older Armada? No, nothing Patrol about those. The first gen Armada was entirely meant for the North American market, and is closely related to the Titan, but has an independent rear suspension. The first gens are huge, ungainly looking vehicles and are a product of a rough time for Nissan. Most of the ones I have seen haven't aged well.

Even if watered down compared to the Patrol, the current model looks better and seems higher quality in my opinion, and is no less tough than the original Armadas. If I was in the market for a new full size SUV, I'd seriously consider one.

If you want an older Nissan with low range and lots of roof rack, early 2000s (pre F-Alpha platform) Pathfinders and Xterras would be good, maybe an F-Alpha Xterra if strawberry milkshake of death has been addressed.

An older Armada? No, nothing Patrol about those. The first gen Armada was entirely meant for the North American market, and is closely related to the Titan, but has an independent rear suspension. The first gens are huge, ungainly looking vehicles and are a product of a rough time for Nissan. Most of the ones I have seen haven't aged well.

Even if watered down compared to the Patrol, the current model looks better and seems higher quality in my opinion, and is no less tough than the original Armadas. If I was in the market for a new full size SUV, I'd seriously consider one.

If you want an older Nissan with low range and lots of roof rack, early 2000s (pre F-Alpha platform) Pathfinders and Xterras would be good, maybe an F-Alpha Xterra if strawberry milkshake of death has been addressed.
heh heh what I REALLY want is another '94 Ranger 4x4 with a 4.0 sorry to hear about yours

The worldwide Patrol is closely related to the titan armada and the pathfinder too. Just upgraded/downgraded arms and center sections depending on the market.

Last edited:
The worldwide Patrol is closely related to the titan armada and the pathfinder too. Just upgraded/downgraded arms and center sections depending on the market.
Did not know that, but makes sense. Still, the current Armada seems like a better sorted version than the last.

heh heh what I REALLY want is another '94 Ranger 4x4 with a 4.0 sorry to hear about yours
My 94 Ranger is still going as far as I know, but I was happy to sell that one. It always needed something and I didn't drive it much, and the new owner had been looking for one like it for months. I do miss my wrecked Explorer though.