Used Review- '17 Nissan Armada Platinum

The current Armada is a decontented Patrol. Weaker diffs, light duty suspension, 2WD option, etc.

Nissan rolled out the current comfort-oriented Patrol in the world market about 10 years ago and it was a massive flop for one huge reason, no diesel engines. Only the VQ 4.0 and the 5.6. No diesel means no range, no fuel economy and nobody wants to buy it.

The 4.5TDTT in the land cruiser lineup has something like a 98% take rate on the 200 and it’s the only option on the 70 series. V8 gasoline engines are a complete non-starter for the vast majority of customers and in the case of Toyota you can see right here in the states just how little effort they put into them.

Last edited:
It does and I believe air shocks in the rear as well.

Towing stability is different between a solid axle truck and an IRS SUV.

The same load using your titan will be easier to pull as the rear end doesnt move around as much.

UD

wabbout an older one ? would it be more Patrol-ish ? Not interested in towing as long as it has a good roof rack. Do they have a low range?

wabbout an older one ? would it be more Patrol-ish ? Not interested in towing as long as it has a good roof rack. Do they have a low range?
An older Armada? No, nothing Patrol about those. The first gen Armada was entirely meant for the North American market, and is closely related to the Titan, but has an independent rear suspension. The first gens are huge, ungainly looking vehicles and are a product of a rough time for Nissan. Most of the ones I have seen haven't aged well.

Even if watered down compared to the Patrol, the current model looks better and seems higher quality in my opinion, and is no less tough than the original Armadas. If I was in the market for a new full size SUV, I'd seriously consider one.

If you want an older Nissan with low range and lots of roof rack, early 2000s (pre F-Alpha platform) Pathfinders and Xterras would be good, maybe an F-Alpha Xterra if strawberry milkshake of death has been addressed.

An older Armada? No, nothing Patrol about those. The first gen Armada was entirely meant for the North American market, and is closely related to the Titan, but has an independent rear suspension. The first gens are huge, ungainly looking vehicles and are a product of a rough time for Nissan. Most of the ones I have seen haven't aged well.

Even if watered down compared to the Patrol, the current model looks better and seems higher quality in my opinion, and is no less tough than the original Armadas. If I was in the market for a new full size SUV, I'd seriously consider one.

If you want an older Nissan with low range and lots of roof rack, early 2000s (pre F-Alpha platform) Pathfinders and Xterras would be good, maybe an F-Alpha Xterra if strawberry milkshake of death has been addressed.
heh heh what I REALLY want is another '94 Ranger 4x4 with a 4.0 sorry to hear about yours

The worldwide Patrol is closely related to the titan armada and the pathfinder too. Just upgraded/downgraded arms and center sections depending on the market.

Last edited:
The worldwide Patrol is closely related to the titan armada and the pathfinder too. Just upgraded/downgraded arms and center sections depending on the market.
Did not know that, but makes sense. Still, the current Armada seems like a better sorted version than the last.

heh heh what I REALLY want is another '94 Ranger 4x4 with a 4.0 sorry to hear about yours
My 94 Ranger is still going as far as I know, but I was happy to sell that one. It always needed something and I didn't drive it much, and the new owner had been looking for one like it for months. I do miss my wrecked Explorer though.

Biggest issue with the nissan 5.6 is the combined cat/ manifold tends to crack and they are 3K a piece plus labor.

Aside from that the mills are gems.

UD
TSB for engine tick/noise. Vehicles affected 2017-2018 Titan/XD (A61), 2017-2018 Armada (Y62), 2017-2018 NV (F80). Bore scope cylinder 7. Send video to Nissan Tennessee for disposition. My 2018 Titan SV with 20K on the odometer is at the dealer getting a new short block. NTB19-057

TSB for engine tick/noise. Vehicles affected 2017-2018 Titan/XD (A61), 2017-2018 Armada (Y62), 2017-2018 NV (F80). Bore scope cylinder 7. Send video to Nissan Tennessee for disposition. My 2018 Titan SV with 20K on the odometer is at the dealer getting a new short block. NTB19-057

Whats the root source of the problem?

Got a new short block installed. Had cylinder 1, and 8 misfires. Swapped plugs, coils, injectors, and injector wiring harnesses. That was no help. Then came a new ECU. That was no help either. A Nissan engineer was involved. Finally Nissan authorized a new long block. That did the trick. Maybe 200 miles on the new engine, and so far no issues. It took 4 weeks, and I think they did a good job. Every once in a while you get stumped.

Update on this vehicle, we ended up selling it to a dealer back in February with 63,000 miles on it. My wife was absolutely devastated to get rid of it, was an awesome ride! I still would have no problem recommending it to anyone.

We sold it because it was rear-wheel drive and we moved to Iowa to be near my wife's family and the Armada was absolutely terrible in the snow / ice. The dealer we sold it to still has it, and now I know why :)

We replaced it with a 2018 Ford Flex all wheel drive that we paid for so we now have zero vehicle payments!

Back