20k Supertech filter now at walmart

@paulri - You're welcome

Yes, the first two pics of the MP10358 show the filter housing o-ring which is blue. The MP10575 SuperTech model is a combo-valve filter. That blue element is the adbv....

(image below as an example only)

View attachment 50657
This is not accurate. The MP10575 does not have a combo valve. It has a dome end. This MP line is likely very closely related to the Champ XL line. Synthetic blend media ( at least ), silicon ADBV and dome end by pass. I will never understand running an oil or filter over 10k miles. I won't go over 5k because I have a DI Turbo engine with out port injection. Just doesn't make sense to me. I have no issue with the plastic cage. I actually like it better than the metal tube. They are very stout and not since the early days with the "big windows" has the plastic cage been an issue. And then it was likely due to cheap media.

Last edited:
This is not accurate. The MP10575 does not have a combo valve. It has a dome end. This MP line is likely very closely related to the Champ XL line. Synthetic blend media ( at least ), silicon ADBV and dome end by pass. I will never understand running an oil or filter over 10k miles. I won't go over 5k because I have a DI Turbo engine with out port injection. Just doesn't make sense to me. I have no issue with the plastic cage. I actually like it better than the metal tube. They are very stout and not since the early days with the "big windows" has the plastic cage been an issue. And then it was likely due to cheap media.
I said as much in a later post. I guess you missed it.

I was always curious about some filters, like the one in the OP.
This isnt just Super Tech but a wide variety of filters.
Always kind of bothered me but whatever. I think if I remember correctly its even on my OEM Volvo Marine engine oil filter.

It seems to me a lot of filters (not all makes) have adapter plates on them. Meaning when looking at this ST Filter ... why is there a plate, above the plate for the oil to flow through? Seems to me, it can be a small point of restriction, even if not restriction, clearly not ideal in my mind, if the filter was manufactured for the engine, you wouldn't need that second plate.
It just seems to be a compromise and I would go as far to say that is more important to me then the actual filter media used.
Clearly there is a plate onto of the original plate where the oil flows through,
Below is an example;
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 7.11.30 AM.png

One thing I have come to like it plastic cages on the inside, just seems like better flow would take place. But that second "adapter" (?) plate on filters drive me nuts.

I said as much in a later post. I guess you missed it.
I did. Sorry. Wasn't being critical, just trying to make it clear. Hard to keep up with all these filter changes. @alarmguy , I wonder if there is a reason for that plate also? I mean, I do not see where it would hurt anything, but I also don't see the benefit. The actual base plate seems robust......I also like the plastic cage. I don't know of a cartridge filter that uses metal, but for some reason people can't get over it in a spin on. I cut a Champ 2835 a few years ago and I could stand on the cage (170lbs) and it would barely give. I am sure I could not do that with some of the soda can thin cages we see being used. Plus there's little to no restriction with the nylon cage. Seems like a good innovation to me.

Last edited:
The K&N SO1002 is the Champ XL line with a 300% mark up.
k&n2.jpg
PH2835XL_P01_BOT.jpg

Although Champ has switched to the "multi base plate" for whatever reason as (2835XL) pictured below. The orange button by pass appears Identical. Either way, these new ST Filters look like a good value at under $6. I would never run my oil 10k, let alone 20k, but that's just me. But it never hurts to have a synthetic blend or better media.

2835xl by pass.jpg
k&n.jpg

While the topic Champ made XP line uses it, Champ Labs has not switched to the double plate across their total manufactured filter line. The current ST9688 just one example of current Champ made OF with standard type base plate.

The 'double' base plate with auxiliary outer plate seems to have originated with the Champ Labs ecore, years ago. As for the reason/purpose Champ gave for auxiliary plate when ecore introduced, explained "in this post". The new AAP "Fram" Drive uses it too. Personally I'd have zero concerns about "flow restriction" because of the auxiliary plate. My 'speculation' would is that even with two plates, less expensive to produce than the heavier/thicker beveled thread boss plate.

Last edited:
Champ Labs has not switched to the double plate across their total manufactured filter line. The current ST9688 just one example of current Champ made OF with standard type base plate.

The 20,000 mile Supertech filters in the picture I posted earlier did not have the additional "adapter plate" on the baseplate IIRC. I remember not seeing one on the MP9688 because that is the one I would most frequently be buying and I made sure to give it a good looking over.

The 20,000 mile Supertech filters in the picture I posted earlier did not have the additional "adapter plate" on the baseplate IIRC. I remember not seeing one on the MP9688 because that is the one I would most frequently be buying and I made sure to give it a good looking over.

Interesting, I've just only seen the ones posted here showing the plate area using the auxiliary plate. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 7317 and 6607 using a standard one plate design. And the ST 9688 uses the beveled one plate design, so likely carrying it over to the XP. Closest WM store here doesn't have XP line yet, so haven't seen one in person.

Anyone that would run an oil filter or oil for 20,000 is crazy. 10,000 is bad enough but 20,000 takes the cake. I know that AutoMechanic will not be using that filter at least not for 20,000 miles.

Hondas have been doing that for decades using fairly low end filters.

I will keep changing all my filters at each oil change.
I don't like the idea of dirty oil and possible dirty filer left on at an oil change.
I run wix, wix xp, fram ultra, mobil 1 and they only see 7500 miles

The 6607 in the picture shows a white filter on the box, the others are blue. Noticing this makes me wonder how deep I'm in. Too deep I think. Everyone I know takes their car to a shop and never thinks about oil filters.

Well, I don‘t land hard left or right on this re run of filter deal … happen to have some mediocre filters left … but when I buy the next extended run filter it can go 2x in an 8 quart system of Mobil 1 AP …
… it’s got a Fumoto valve and can swap in a fresh quart in 5 minutes …
(to offset GDI in 0w20)

I will keep changing all my filters at each oil change.
I don't like the idea of dirty oil and possible dirty filer left on at an oil change.
I run wix, wix xp, fram ultra, mobil 1 and they only see 7500 miles

You believe the filter and auto manufacturers have it wrong, and you have it right.

Im going to take the side of the math and engineering on this one.

I do understand your position though, I used to practice the same, but now only do so on certain engines.

The efficiency rating of 99% @ 30u is no better than the bottom of the line Fram extra guard...it has a silicone ADBV and a metal core for those that like it.

I was always curious about some filters, like the one in the OP.
This isnt just Super Tech but a wide variety of filters.
Always kind of bothered me but whatever. I think if I remember correctly its even on my OEM Volvo Marine engine oil filter.

It seems to me a lot of filters (not all makes) have adapter plates on them. Meaning when looking at this ST Filter ... why is there a plate, above the plate for the oil to flow through? Seems to me, it can be a small point of restriction, even if not restriction, clearly not ideal in my mind, if the filter was manufactured for the engine, you wouldn't need that second plate.
It just seems to be a compromise and I would go as far to say that is more important to me then the actual filter media used.
Clearly there is a plate onto of the original plate where the oil flows through,
Below is an example;
View attachment 51182

One thing I have come to like it plastic cages on the inside, just seems like better flow would take place. But that second "adapter" (?) plate on filters drive me nuts.
The extra outer plate on the base doesn't restrict any flow - look how big the holes are, and it's not sealed around the mounting threads which is another flow path for the oil. Only reason I can think of why they use this design it to: 1) make the filter base "look better", and/or 2) make it easier to line-up and start the filter on the engine filter mount threads.

Since that extra baseplate "cover" is essentially flat, it takes away any of the concave shape of the real base plate which means there is no room for any possible protrusion interference on the filter mount side of the engine.

Back