20k Supertech filter now at walmart

K&N needs to at least sell a comparison on increased flow to show why it would be better to have marginally less efficiency.
I doubt it flows any better just because it's less efficient. And "flows better" just means a little less delta-p at the same flow rate. A slightly more restrictive filter will still flow the same oil volume because of the PD oil pump, as long as the pump in not in pressure relief.

Well the only one for my cars are the regular ST3614 (or St4967 for the Camry) on the walmart site. Perhaps this is simply the first wave of this new line?

What if it’s the same filter with a different label? Lol.

How does the nitrile ADBV hold up in these? Still pliable after a 5-7.5k OCI? I’m surprised this filter appears to be using nitrile. The MicroGard at Oreilly uses a purple ADBV IIRC.

A few people were wondering if there would be an equivalent version of this filter with Fram series 7317, 6607, 9688, etc. I can confirm that based on what I saw at my local Walmart this morning.

16165987696194182315570569380879.jpg

Really. So no bypass in the dome in the pictured MP10575, and as found in ACDelco for GM vehicles and several of the current ST including but not limited to 9688? Even 'if' it's silicone, a step backward 'imo.' Surprised to read the blue seen is a combo valve

As for "....99% at 30 mics? So that would roughly be 95% at 20 mics?..."

Admit I'm not much on filter efficiency extrapolation, but 95% 20 um would seem extremely generous to me. For me, 'if' efficiency was a priority, I go with one that has a corresponding beta @ 20um or ISO 4548-12 @20 or 25um. That said, many/most OEM OF give no efficiency spec at all.

What's weird is after going back yesterday, the one's I picked up were not combo valved but still had the double base plate. I may have been mistaken on the combo valve post.

What's weird is after going back yesterday, the one's I picked up were not combo valved but still had the double base plate. I may have been mistaken on the combo valve post.
It's cool. I kinda thought that. Double/auxiliary baseplate a Champ Labs ecore feature that obviously they still use. I would say, imo it is better than the protruding non beveled thread boss it would be without the outer plate. Going to a separate bypass, all applications (assuming) a big improvement over combo valve ecore.

Didn't mean to imply the quote/comment about efficiency extrapolation was from you. After posted, thought that could be rather confusing, came from another post.

Last edited:
So it’s almost twice the price, so I would buy the cheaper one and change it twice, getting a new filter media instead of using a theoretically half full one. Otherwise the ratings are the same between them, just the capacity rating Is different. It should add $50k per day or so to the sales nationwide, assuming they sell 2-3 thousand per day. Or About $18 million per year. Not bad.

So it’s almost twice the price, so I would buy the cheaper one and change it twice, getting a new filter media instead of using a theoretically half full one. Otherwise the ratings are the same between them, just the capacity rating Is different. It should add $50k per day or so to the sales nationwide, assuming they sell 2-3 thousand per day. Or About $18 million per year. Not bad.

I have seen cutups of the regular Supertech here as well as on youtube in which the endcaps are felt and peel off with little effort, I would happily pay a buck or two extra to get the 20,000 mile Supertech filter with metal endcaps and better media.

Good point about higher profit margins. The 20,000 mile Supertech oil is only about $1.50 more expensive than the 10,000 mile version and I surmise that many might spend that extra $1.50 to get the 20k version instead even if they do not use it for any more than they would the 10k version. The perceived better quality of the 20k oil will sell a lot it alone.

Back