20k Supertech filter now at walmart

You have to be really careful with super tech filters, some are made rediculousy cheap, much worse than a low Grade fram.

I was looking at a 2003 super tech rav 4 filter, and it just had a tiny plastic spine on the interior, where normally its full Metal interior on most filters
And they're very similar to AC delco e-core filters that tons of GM dealers use and fairly similar to the service champ filters that quicklube places use, the ecore is fine, not to my personal preference but it's perfectly functional.

You have to be really careful with super tech filters, some are made rediculousy cheap, much worse than a low Grade fram.

I was looking at a 2003 super tech rav 4 filter, and it just had a tiny plastic spine on the interior, where normally its full Metal interior on most filters
Fear mongering. ACD PF64 is basically the same filter as MP12060, aside from the upgraded blue silicone ADBV. I have run both for over 20k miles now on different cars. In fact I think they flow better than a metal cage.

If the MP is the exact same as the ST except for the silicone vs. nitrile ADBV....I'd stick with the $2.97 one. $2.50 is a lot for a silicone valve.
Some have speculated that ST's new 20K synthetic oil is the same as their 10K oil based on the dexos number....who knows if that's the case.
Since I never plan on going over 10K on an OCI I'll stick to their 10K synthetic oil and filter.

I will pay an extra $2.50 to get rid of 500 rattling dry starts. I went and purchased one. Going to hot swap the Altima filter and top off. Leave the oil which only has about 1,000 mi on it. See if it changes the startup noises. I had success eliminating piston slap and startup ticking on my 06 Escalade when I stopped using the Fram ultra and switched to the tough guard. Maybe I'll have luck getting rid of a startup chain tensioner type rattle on the old Altima

Anyone notice some of the white supertechs are no longer ecores?

I picked up an ST2 last night and the box was noticeable taller. Took it out and it look like a fram. Like a rebadged defense filter actually

Anyone notice some of the white supertechs are no longer ecores?

I picked up an ST2 last night and the box was noticeable taller. Took it out and it look like a fram. Like a rebadged defense filter actually
The white 6607 and 9688 are definitely ecore, so maybe they are consolidating certain part numbers. I also noticed they now had a white ST12060 (base 10k, not 20k). They never had this part before so I would buy ACD PF64.

I will pay an extra $2.50 to get rid of 500 rattling dry starts. I went and purchased one. Going to hot swap the Altima filter and top off. Leave the oil which only has about 1,000 mi on it. See if it changes the startup noises. I had success eliminating piston slap and startup ticking on my 06 Escalade when I stopped using the Fram ultra and switched to the tough guard. Maybe I'll have luck getting rid of a startup chain tensioner type rattle on the old Altima
Interesting that you had better results with tough guard over the ultra.

Fear mongering. ACD PF64 is basically the same filter as MP12060, aside from the upgraded blue silicone ADBV. I have run both for over 20k miles now on different cars. In fact I think they flow better than a metal cage.
No I was just comparing cheap crap to other filters, Flows Better?

There were multiple 1 inch gaps between the plastic spline and this was a tiny filter, high likely to have filter area displacement without a better retention wall, so yeah it may flow betterm with possible chunck of carboard along with it.

I just chose a better made filter. But show me a higher end filter made this way and then maybe it can be concluded as fear mongering.

But Ive never seen a spin on made that cheap.

if you want to see it, its the super tech filter for 2003 rav 4 2.0 4 cyl

The flow delta-p between an eCore center cage and a center tube with holes going to be small and negligible. A PD oil pump won't know the difference.

No I was just comparing cheap crap to other filters, Flows Better?

There were multiple 1 inch gaps between the plastic spline and this was a tiny filter, high likely to have filter area displacement without a better retention wall, so yeah it may flow betterm with possible chunck of carboard along with it.

I just chose a better made filter. But show me a higher end filter made this way and then maybe it can be concluded as fear mongering.

But Ive never seen a spin on made that cheap.

if you want to see it, its the super tech filter for 2003 rav 4 2.0 4 cyl
Define high end filter. Exotic cars that use cartridge filters also have nylon center tube. Is that high end enough?
Those supertech filters are exactly the same as ACDelco for equivalent part number. GM uses this filter on their top performance cars, and V8 trucks as the OEM filter. I think I'll trust a filter marketed by walmart, GM, and Champ over the internet experts. So yeah it sounds like fear mongering.

Define high end filter. Exotic cars that use cartridge filters also have nylon center tube. Is that high end enough?
Those supertech filters are exactly the same as ACDelco for equivalent part number. GM uses this filter on their top performance cars, and V8 trucks as the OEM filter. I think I'll trust a filter marketed by walmart, GM, and Champ over the internet experts. So yeah it sounds like fear mongering.
I guess that where we differ, and Im more selective with the manufacture I buy from, with their designs. Any manufacture has to show me, I dont trust any of them, its on a product by product basis.

I avoid any vehicle with cartridge filter, want nothing to do with that. I was just talking about stepping up a few dollars to a more expensive filter, with a more traditional build.

I doubt we are even talking about the same filter, cause Ac delco is not mad that way , nor wix, nor fram, just the super tech

I doubt we are even talking about the same filter, cause Ac delco is not mad that way , nor wix, nor fram, just the super tech

They're now all made similarly for the most part: supertech 10k, supertech 20k (+silicone ADBV), and ACDelco. Supertech 10k and ACD PF64 are exactly the same. Everything from the C8 to a chevy equinox gets a PF64 from the factory. For the price point they're constructed way better than some other "traditional build" filters; namely Wix/Napa protech or the tearing purolators (red can, motorcraft, etc). Sure you can spend $10 on an Fram Ultra but for the average 5k warranty interval theres no point.

They're now all made similarly for the most part: supertech 10k, supertech 20k (+silicone ADBV), and ACDelco. Supertech 10k and ACD PF64 are exactly the same. Everything from the C8 to a chevy equinox gets a PF64 from the factory. For the price point they're constructed way better than some other "traditional build" filters; namely Wix/Napa protech or the tearing purolators (red can, motorcraft, etc). Sure you can spend $10 on an Fram

Wow, that video was on the exact filter , but yeah I ended up going Fram TG4967

But I see what you mean, many filters coming with that open spine'd plastic/Nylon inner cage. It was alittle shocking to me, wasnt expecting to see that and it looked cheap.

I saw a video on the Fram ultra, which looks good, I think that one is about $10

This is my wifes Rav 4 , and has about 175,000 miles on it, I have been using the super tech synthetic last couple changes, which happen in june and December each year, atleast for the last 5 to 7 years.
Its cheaper than Valvoline Dino oil , which is kinda shocking.

Thanks for the info

It’s weird that they rate the new supertech filters at 20k when they’re just about identical to the stp xl filter which are rated for 10k

It’s weird that they rate the new supertech filters at 20k when they’re just about identical to the stp xl filter which are rated for 10k
Could simply be that STP underrates their filter(s). In turn, they sell 2x the number of filters while WM chooses "value".

Anyone that would run an oil filter or oil for 20,000 is crazy. 10,000 is bad enough but 20,000 takes the cake. I know that AutoMechanic will not be using that filter at least not for 20,000 miles.
Who knows what those pleats are made of, for the price it may or may not be fully synthetic material or could be synthetic blend.

It's kind of hard to pull off 20,000 if its not highway driving.

Back