2017 Malibu oil filter recommendation

I've been changing the oil on my Malibu for quite some time now, but since I discovered BITOG figured I'd see what everyone had to say.

This is what the owner's manual says, I have to admit I never checked the manual before changing, I just purchased the basic PF64 ACDelco.

I have the basic 1.5. The 1.8 is the Hybrid and the 2.0 is the souped up engine with an 8 or 9 speed transmission. My question is why would GM recommend the ACDelco Gold filter for the standard engine but the regular PF64 for 2.0?

When I first started changing oil I was using Valvoline Syn 5w-30 with a PF64 filter, since then I've switched to Mobil 1 5w-30 with Mobil 1 filter M1-113A. I've been toying with the idea to start using either SuperTech or Costco 5w-30 oil with basic Wix filters. The wife and I both drive 20k a year so this would be an economical decision. Should I go with an "ultra" filter like the owners manual says or would my idea be perfectly fine?

Attachments

• malibu oil filter manual.JPG
    malibu oil filter manual.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 32
GM tends to recommend the gold on engines with stop start. A Cruze 1.6 uses a PF64 on the non stop-start but uses the upf64r on the stop start engines. We stock both

Why not continue with the mobil filter but for a 20k mile interval. That’s what they are rated for. I’m using the same 113a on my mom’s 2018 Equinox 1.5L and use it for close to the 20k mark. After cutting it open it looked fine with no tears or other issues. I change the oil between 6-7k miles so basically the filter is changed every 3rd oil change.

Why not continue with the mobil filter but for a 20k mile interval. That’s what they are rated for. I’m using the same 113a on my mom’s 2018 Equinox 1.5L and use it for close to the 20k mark. After cutting it open it looked fine with no tears or other issues. I change the oil between 6-7k miles so basically the filter is changed every 3rd oil change.
That's a bit long for me. I know they say it on the box, but I'm not risking my Malibu I purchased new just to save 9 bucks every other oil change.

I got the 1.5 in my dads equinox. The car is a lease so I would like to use OEM. I recommend going with the ACDelco filter. If the part number is pf64, Fram 12060 will also work. At walmart the tough guard was about the same price as ACDelco. I would not use supertech because they never issued an updated part # with the new bypass spec. Fram did. I used to think mobil 1 was something special before I found about BITOG, if you're gonna spend that much on a filter get the fram xg12060.

Back