Supertech = FRAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hal

OK for example, the Fram filter for my Mazda is PH3593A. The SuperTech walmart one is ST3593A. The cross reference is the same for a Honda Civic as well, but I don't remember the part#. I have never bought either of these filters for fear of failure, but I find it interesting that those part#'s are so similar. Are they the same filter?

If they are, seems like WM is basically only selling one filter brand. They barely carry any Motorcraft/ACDelco's here anymore. Are people really buying this junk? WM needs to sell decent filters!

No...SuperTech = Champion Labs (Bosch, Mobil 1, K&N, many other brands made by Champion). ST part numbers are similar to Fram probably for ease of familiarity to the customer base...most of us, even though we don't use fram, know the part #'s pretty well because they've been around for years. At least that's the case with me.

ST is a darn good filter, I wouldn't knock it. Great price, never personally seen a failure but there may be one or two here on BITOG with some research.

Originally Posted By: hal
seems like WM is basically only selling one filter brand. They barely carry any Motorcraft/ACDelco's here anymore. Are people really buying this junk? WM needs to sell decent filters!

my WM is the same just the wall of doom and ST mostly,i just laugh when i see people looking and buying that [censored],i run down two blocks and grab a NG for the same price.

well if the ST is an STP (probably 'ecore' or something) then at least I would know what to use in a pinch.

The ST filter used to be a good value. It is so small now for my vehicles I pay the extra $1 for a Motorcraft or Purolator.

For my Toyota 2.4 application, SuperTech = STP = Champion Labs.

They're much smaller than the Purolators, both physicaly and in the size of the media. Not a bad filter, but IMO there are better filters in the 3.50 range. I'd definitely buy one over a fram.

The cross referencing is NORMAL in most industries, albeit in oil filters also. It is very useful and a time saving procedure.

NO! They are NOT the same filter.

Fram has been vilified, (you can search,goggle for all the "bad news") but I would have no issues running them. Are there "better/worse" products? Absolutely !! I have in the past and actually still do run the Fram PH8A with 15,000 miles OCI's in the past and currently 15,000 to 20,000 OCI's. I have been doing this app 673,000 miles. (45-47 filters)

In addition, FRAM is the provider for the oem Honda oil filters (2004 MY anyway) . It goes without saying they are made to Honda's (unknown to most consumers) specifications. OEM Honda filters do cost more. Even on this august board, you'd be hard press to differentiate a statistically significant difference as measured in UOA's (Fram aftermarket, OEM Honda (made by Fram)cost more cost less, control, etc.,etc., in what ever test protocol you wish to use.

I have bought the FRAM brand for the Honda Civic, but it had more to do with the black grippy portion of the filter. (stupid I know, oem Honda filters do NOT have the black grippy portion on the outside of the filter) It does make changing the oil filter a snap.

However SuperTech (ST crossed referenced/correct) filters are far cheaper. They are (STILL) made by "Champion Labs." Again I have NO issues using them. In fact am currently on the early legs of the ST filter on the Honda Civic.

Last edited:
I would use the Fram that does not have the paper endcaps. Extended Guard or something? It seems pretty good. But I'm kinda iffy about the ones that do use paper endcaps. Mainly because I have a buddy who ended up with paper endcap in his oil system due to one failing. Granted, I don't know how long the OCI was, but metal would never do that.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
The ST filter used to be a good value. It is so small now for my vehicles I pay the extra $1 for a Motorcraft or Purolator.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
For my Toyota 2.4 application, SuperTech = STP = Champion Labs.

They're much smaller than the Purolators, both physicaly and in the size of the media. Not a bad filter, but IMO there are better filters in the 3.50 range. I'd definitely buy one over a fram.

Maybe, maybe not. Having owned nothing but GM since 1981, I have used AC when ever I can find what I need at a reasonable price. Bought a bunch at K-Mart years ago at $2 each. If I couldn't find a deal on AC, I would buy other brands, usually Fram or Purolator. As it got harder and harder to even find the right AC's, I was buying more and more Frams. I kept wondering how much difference there really was, and wondered if ST and Power Flo were as good as the advertised brands. So about 10 years ago, I started chopping filters open. What did I find? As far as media area, they were mostly about the same except for Fram and AC. Fram had about half the media of the rest, and AC had half again more than anything else. I haven't bought a Fram since.

I have also discovered there is NO RELATIONSHIP between outside dimensions and media area.

Purolator seems to have joined Fram in the big, empty can segment. Last March, I cut open an L-10193. Of the dozens of filters in that application I have cut open, It was down there near Fram having about half the area they used to.

Walmart has dropped the ST 3950 I used for a long time. I think next oil change, I am using the smaller one they now recommend. I will cut it open and see if it actually has more media than Fram and Purolator. The Ecores do have the threaded end bypass that I think is better.

Last edited:
from what i was told, ST is just a fleet type filter for fram, they can be purchased in bulk for cheap price to save fleets some cashola,

Champ just uses Fram part numbers for ease of xrefing. It's done all the time. Lots of filters do this under a few labels. You'll see it a lot in the quick lube market.

This is not a FRAM

PH47.jpg

Originally Posted By: Petrou
from what i was told, ST is just a fleet type filter for fram, they can be purchased in bulk for cheap price to save fleets some cashola,

Slap whoever told you that in the face for us. Fram is the fleet filter company that sends out cheap bulk filters for everyone to use but Champion filters arent one of those brands.

It seems to me that is I was operating a large fleet, I would play around with different oils, fuels, filters, and see what gave me the most bang for the buck.

Of course, if somebody was doing that, it would take a long time for the word to filter out, and it might look like spam. I for one, never fully trusted Lubeowner here and some others.

Again, I think many here respect and trust Johnny because he is explicit about having worked for Pennzoil and doesn't engage in marketing hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back