2024 Subaru BRZ vs 1970 Datsun 240 Z

I couldn’t help thinking of the iconic 240 Z after reading a review of the BRZ in Car and Driver. Here are the screen shots of their specifications. Enjoy.

40D88E59-15DD-4F43-B1B6-FEFFA4B0344C.jpg
7ACE5908-B5BC-4149-8F4F-890374AE5098.jpg

Either would be fine in my garage!
Years ago I was autocrossing with a guy who stuffed an Infiniti V8 in the front of a 280Z. He was still refining the suspension but it would hookup out of slow corners with a bit of opposite lock on and the inside front wheel in the air!

A tiny 2.4L in-line 6…. Gonna be super smooth - more torque to offer on the bottom of the revs - had to be one heck of driver. The early RX7 was a neat car too - very engaging with a stick (and as many idiot lights available as “KITT”). the Subaru 4s that I knew punched above their weight class for torque, but lacked the Swiss watch refinement of a Honda. IMO, the little turbo 4 they put in current 328s would be an ideal power plant for the brz - power with the refinement. Just my $0.02.

During the era when Nissan tried, and engineered/made interesting and fun cars, the direct comparison would have been the 240SX, which, like the 86 twins, were "compromised" by their engines to keep the price reasonable.

Toyota had the Celica, which begat the Supra, and the MR2. Mazda, the RX-7 and MX-5. Honda, the CR-X and Prelude.

Reasonably-priced fun wasn't hard to find.

But, sporty cars aren't big sellers, and engineering costs money that most buyers don't care about, and won't pay more for.

To add insult to injury, when the OEMs now try to resurrect these nameplates from the past, they do it with vehicles that aren't true to their roots. Honda's probably reluctant to talk about the new Prelude, because there will be little to get excited about, aside from the looks.

TOTALLY forgot about the 240SX. Didn’t realize what it was when I saw it. Would have LIKED that - a sleeper sedan, oh yeah.

A tiny 2.4L in-line 6…. Gonna be super smooth - more torque to offer on the bottom of the revs - had to be one heck of driver. The early RX7 was a neat car too - very engaging with a stick (and as many idiot lights available as “KITT”). the Subaru 4s that I knew punched above their weight class for torque, but lacked the Swiss watch refinement of a Honda. IMO, the little turbo 4 they put in current 328s would be an ideal power plant for the brz - power with the refinement. Just my $0.02.
It had 146 ft lbs of torque at 4400 rpm which although is gross, not net, is not bad for small engine of that vintage.

TOTALLY forgot about the 240SX. Didn’t realize what it was when I saw it. Would have LIKED that - a sleeper sedan, oh yeah.

Nissan was an engineering-lead company in the 90s, and up and down the range, from the Sentra (SE-R) to the Infiniti Q45, there was something for enthusiasts to like.

I almost bought one of the first generation models, despite the engine it shared with the Hardbody pickup being the weak point, like the 86. But along with a facelift, Nissan did later give it a 16-valve head and a bit more power. For the JDM, and elsewhere, it got the SR20DE we could get in the SE-R/G20, as well as the turbo SR20DET.

Then came the Ghosn to the rescue, with layoffs, cost cutting, and beam axles, and it hasn't been the same ever since. The retiring R35 did still sort of carry that torch, but little in the affordable range raised any pulses. The current Z is fashioned to make it evocative of the original ones, but also has old bones underneath.

I saw a 240z a month ago in a parking lot and checked it out. It was a lot smaller and lower to the ground than I remembered.

I had a '76 280Z 2+2 that had been fitted with the 5 spd.
Other than steering like a truck, it was a delightful car and the six sounded wonderful. Datsun could have taught BMW a few things about a proper inline six as well as a proper manual gearbox.
Between the ToyoSubie and the Datsun, I know which one I'd choose and it wouldn't have a flat four.
I also had a Datsun sport roadster 1600. A fun little car, like the MGB but with a much smoother engine far more willing to rev although a very harsh ride compared to which the MGB was plush.
Nissan used to make some truly great cars, but then so did Honda and Toyota.
Not so much these days.

Back