2022 Toyota Corolla Cross

Just purchased a 2022 Corolla Cross (had it for two months actually but only has 500 miles thanks to being away from home so much), and was debating whether or not to use the 0w16 or use 0w20. I can get the pennzoil platinum 0w16 here but its almost $50 for 6 quarts, or I can get Pennzoil Ultra platinum 0w20 for $27 for 5 quarts. As for other brands of 0w16, I can't get them locally, I suppose I could purchase online. Any thoughts on this ?

Just purchased a 2022 Corolla Cross (had it for two months actually but only has 500 miles thanks to being away from home so much), and was debating whether or not to use the 0w16 or use 0w20. I can get the pennzoil platinum 0w16 here but its almost $50 for 6 quarts, or I can get Pennzoil Ultra platinum 0w20 for $27 for 5 quarts. As for other brands of 0w16, I can't get them locally, I suppose I could purchase online. Any thoughts on this ?
Use 0W16 while under warranty, after that you can do whatever you want.

I used 0w-16 in my two Toyotas that call for it but it hasn't been in stock at my local Walmart when I needed oil so I've been using 0w-20 exclusively the past year and a half. The manuals for my cars say you can use 0w-20 if you can't find 0w-16.

For a $25 difference, I'd buy 0W16 get the receipt and then return it. Then I'd buy 0W20, use it and if anything ever comes up show them the 0W16 receipt.
Wow. Would you really do that to save $3/quart?
I used 0w-16 in my two Toyotas that call for it but it hasn't been in stock at my local Walmart when I needed oil so I've been using 0w-20 exclusively the past year and a half. The manuals for my cars say you can use 0w-20 if you can't find 0w-16.
If this is the case why bother with the deceit?

If you were wanting 5k and not 10k oil changes

Do a 0w20 at 5k with factory filter let them do the 10 k then do the 15k with 0w20 again use the factory filter.
Toyota can do the 20k
Keep the receipts
If it comes up tell them the options for 0w16 were not readily available.
My kia says 8k oil changes and if you use something other than recommended to use the severe schedule, maybe your toyota says something similar if it is and 5 k is severe you would be good to go.

The correct answer for your situation is gonna be TGMO 0W16 with 6 month OCI.

Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 7.52.32 AM.jpg

There is a Copy out of the owners manual. Looks like I can use the 0w20 as long as I flip flop from oil change to oil change with it. The comment about higher viscosity being better when operated under/at "high speeds or under extreme load conditions" is interesting. Thanks to where I live it spends several minutes at a time at 4K RPMS going up some mountains.

Tons of owners of these newer Toyotas report quieter and smoother engines, with no MPG penalty, once they switched to 5W30/0W30/0W40/5W40 synthetics. (I even saw some guy bragging about using Rotella 15W-40 for his 2022 Prius and old Cummins powered Dodge.) Some 0W20 did quiet things down a little, but mostly same as 0W16.
I'd personally try M1 AFE 0W30 or M1 FS 0W40.

And before anyone mentions it - no, these engines were not "made for 0W16 with tighter bearing t0LEraNceS and pa$$age CLeaRanCes", as some here like to chime in without knowing the meaning of those words.

Last edited:
Can anyone but a chemist with a lab tell the difference between -16 and -20? If the discussion was I can't get 0W-16 but I found this nice 0W-50 maybe there'd be a discussion but 4 points? Seriously? Given the inconsistencies when filling the tank I doubt any difference in mpg could be measured without the use of special calibrated sensors installed to measure actual usage. How is it a big deal, or any deal at all for that matter, to make such a small change?

If the issue is availability and price, then of course the solution is provided by Kentucky Toyota dealerships or online.

If the issue is viscosity, OP climbing hills at 4k RPM on 0W16 is no problem, per owners manual, my massive amount of personal experience pertinent to this discussion, relevant data, and study of specifics involved in the engineering and design of this drivetrain.

Can anyone but a chemist with a lab tell the difference between -16 and -20? If the discussion was I can't get 0W-16 but I found this nice 0W-50 maybe there'd be a discussion but 4 points? Seriously? Given the inconsistencies when filling the tank I doubt any difference in mpg could be measured without the use of special calibrated sensors installed to measure actual usage. How is it a big deal, or any deal at all for that matter, to make such a small change?
Bean counters and CAFE requirements. Always looking for that 0.0000001% fuel efficiency improvement.

Back