2022 Toyota Corolla Cross

Forget the oil, hows the car? Surprisingly my local dealer over the border has the Cross on the lot now and then.

ps.: The dealer service dept likely could care less if you use 16 or 20 or 30 grade, So the "During the warranty" argument doesn't hold water.
or ... Oil for that matter

Is it?

I remember the days of use a 5W-30 in the winter and 10W-40 in the summer.
I remember 10W30 in the Winter and SAE 30 or 40 in the Summer.

Should we go back to the days of, "I remember feeding the Oxen alfalfa in the Fall"

Or, ever further back to the days of. " Me thinks rendered hog belly fat on the axle makes my Chariot easier to pull than
tar pit oil"

Last edited:
I love the car, its been great, admittingly I've not been driving it a ton thanks to work. Its nice to drive though, its not got a ton of power by any means but its enough. I've had bad back problems now for a few years (after caring for my father with Parkinsons) and with this car it doesn't aggravate it at all, very comfortable. Only gripe I have is the stop/start system though thats easily enough disabled by just unplugging the microswitch on the hood latch if you don't want to hit the disable button every time you go for a drive.

I love the car, its been great, admittingly I've not been driving it a ton thanks to work. Its nice to drive though, its not got a ton of power by any means but its enough. I've had bad back problems now for a few years (after caring for my father with Parkinsons) and with this car it doesn't aggravate it at all, very comfortable. Only gripe I have is the stop/start system though thats easily enough disabled by just unplugging the microswitch on the hood latch if you don't want to hit the disable button every time you go for a drive.
Great. It will get peppier and quieter as it wear in over a few thousand miles.
Curious, dose this car have a VIN starting with "J"

No . I am talking about the past 2 to 3 decades

Yeah, wasn't Ford the first to raise eyebrows with their 5W-20 ? That takes us back to somewhere around 2001, I think. That's two decades right there, maybe 21 years.

Not sure 10W-40 lost favorability until the early 90s but as @ARCOgraphite noted, was your post about maybe monograde oils being an American thing?

Yeah, wasn't Ford the first to raise eyebrows with their 5W-20 ? That takes us back to somewhere around 2001, I think. That's two decades right there, maybe 21 years.

Not sure 10W-40 lost favorability until the early 90s but as @ARCOgraphite noted, was your post about maybe monograde oils being an American thing?
No. what i meant is OEM recommending one oil viscosity unlike the rest of the world .
For example a camry is recommended a 0w16 oil in NA ,but in EU or Australia 10w30 and 15w40 are recommended in the owners manual for the same engine

Actually In the mid Ninteen-Fifties Ford recommended 20 grade oil in their new (not so great) Y-block V8 - almost 70 years ago!

Under hood oil sticker on a 1955 Ford Crestline that I was looking at a couple years ago. It ended up having an engine knock
so I passed. And I wasn't confusing the racket with the always noisy solid cam.

Ford_Y_block oil  requirement sticker..jpg

55_Ford_Crestline_Back.jpg

I figured I would come in and say what I've finally decided to do. I'm gonna be using the pennzoil ultra 0w20 and I'll put in pennzoil 0w16 when the price comes down. I had to take my mothers 2022 rav4 into the dealership collision center ( lady backed into the front bumper, minor damage but probably a new front bumper cover is my guess) and got to speak with one of the techs. He was telling me that they sometimes stock 0w16 oil in the bulk tanks and sometimes they don't, but for about the last year they haven't and the oil that goes in is pennzoil Gold 0w20 synthetic blend. He said he had only seen one failure in the dynamic force engine from lubrication failure so far as that was when someone didn't change the oil from the factory fill in almost 30K.

Back