2022 Ford Maverick

the full size pickup slowly became a vehicle americans actually wanted to drive, and not a tool. i lived in a f350 platinum 24/7 non-stop for 2 entire months and it was a very comfy experience. much better than the utilitarian 20 year old dodge dually and rental box trucks i’ve had to torture myself with before.

this is more than enough truck for most people, but it doesn’t have enough “family SUV” in it. it legitimately is too small for the average family here

I missed something here. A Toyota power train in a Mexican Ford?
you didn't miss anything... some one referenced an old article (circa 2004) that Ford had Licensed several Hybrid Drivetrain patents from Toyota when they developed their Hybrid powertrain, and ran with that meaning ford uses Toyota Hybrid Systems.

They Don't.
They Licensed some Tech, but Designed their own Transmission, from the Get Go in 2004/5 whatever.
Toyota Later "Copied" this Ford Design starting in the 2016 Model year, as Did Chrysler for the Pacifica Hybrid..

Last edited:
Too bad it has zero configuration options

Give me a 2 door
Bench seat
Long box

Never happen but that would be perfect for me

Little motor with a manual transmission would get the same highway MPG and best of all no hybrid tax penalty
It'll happen after two years. When they introduce a model the do the hottest one then the other body styles pop out during the mid-model refresh.

I've been surprised for 20 years that hyundai hasn't made a unibody compact pickup.

NAPA would buy 50,000 compact pickups-- their S10s and Aveos look pretty tired.

So this begs the big bitog quesiton. What oil grade do yall think it'll use, 0w-16 or 20? and if so what's the thickest oil you'd put in it :ROFLMAO:

I think id put 30 in it at most.
I watched doug demuro's video and he has a shot of the engine and I think I can see either a 5w20 or 0w20 on the oil cap.

That thing is all the pickup that many F150 drivers actually need. Kudos to Ford for coming up with something pretty unique. I'm interested.
That's the same thing I've been saying about the Honda Ridgeline...forever now. Granted, I didn't buy a Ridgeline, but I did buy a 'small' truck because it fit my needs (and was a little cheaper than a Ridgeline and a little more capable at the edge)

Solid move on their part. Base model hybrid? Wow. Hybrid eCvt? Totally fine for an everyday commuter. Low enough to the ground to hopefully handle well? Looks like it. Decent cargo spec for the bed, though frankly the bed is smaaaaaalllll.

it’s like a Subaru Baja with better lines… with the practicality of the VW rabbit truck from the 70s. Fwd with a heavy load would be a downer, but i doubt these will get loaded up. On the flip side, fwd with an empty bed is better in snow than an empty RWD.

I hope they don’t dork up the interior…. Ive seen flubs in some of their designs which to me sour a mostly good package, like loose, wobbly seats on a hybrid fusion…. Great lines, solid features but sloppy interior finish. I think they missed the mark on some of the newer escapes. I think they hit a home run with the ranger.

when I lived around DC, I could see this trucklet being a home run, but if I’m going to commute 2-3hrs in it, the execution has to be spot on, cuz that’s a long time in a penalty box otherwise. i hope it gives a solid option to the folks who would like a cheaper, more efficient utility vehicle which can also carry a family.

will also be interesting to see if everyone who says they would love a small truck would actually buy one. I’ll tell you this, it’s civic and Corolla money, and I’d much rather choose this trucklet in that territory.

m

FWIW I was talking to my Aunt and my Mother tonight, both 60+ yo, both live in PA, and both of them think that this will be their next vehicle.

My aunt lives on an old girl scout camp/farm and routinely hauls small equipment around, husband has an F150 for the heavier work. Mom just really needs something to be able to throw trash in the bed and tote around. Both would like AWD as it tends to snow deep in their part of the state (Lake effect). Aunt currently drives a Crew Cab Frontier, mom an Escape.

Never in my life have I talked to either of them and they just come out and say 'that's the vehicle I want'. Even a few years back when the aunt bought her Frontier it was more of 'ehh, I guess this will do everything I need it to and I'm tired of looking' This was before the new Ranger or I'd bet she'd have bought that. The Ridgeline was just too expensive and they're pretty far from a Honda dealer.

Yea, I'm thinking Ford might sell a pile of these things.

Few new vehicles have ever given me the vibe that they would be an instant winner for the car company.

Most recently I got it from seeing the Mazda CX-30 days after it first arrived in late 2019. Now Mazda's selling loads of them.

Now the Ford Maverick gives me that vibe. Ford will move lots and lots of this trucklet. It punches a lot of the right buttons for a lot of people.

Back