2022 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Leaked Images Show Imposing New Look

Why do trucks have such monstrous front ends now? Need for cooling, crash safety, etc. or is it just the latest style? Because it's butt-ugly indeed.

I imagine cooling is some of it. Cooling a 409 hp TT V6 while towing 14000 lbs or whatever is not easy as is apparent by the cooling issues the 3.5L Ecoboost has. Me and a lot of other people towing in the Rockies with Ecoboost's have overheat issues even when towing well below their max trailer weights.

But I do think there is some requirements around pedestrian impact safety. The hood needs to sit something like 6" above the engine so if someone gets thrown onto the hood it can crumple.

Why do trucks have such monstrous front ends now? Need for cooling, crash safety, etc. or is it just the latest style? Because it's butt-ugly indeed.

On the late model RAM Dually truck I have, and indeed for all the brands, large capacity cooling is paramount. I'm rolling down the road at a bit over 36k lbs GCVW. Still almost 4k lbs under GCVWR. Towing up some 10+% grades in over 100° F heat with the AC on, the truck has yet to come close to overheating.

I'm sure crush zone plays a factor too.

But I do think there is some requirements around pedestrian impact safety. The hood needs to sit something like 6" above the engine so if someone gets thrown onto the hood it can crumple.
I think their research needs some refining to account for height. How tall of a human being are they planning for everyone to hit? You hit someone at a crosswalk with a modern full-size truck, especially with front ends like this one, and they're going forward and / or under, not over. This would be nothing like hitting someone with a Civic. Maybe full-sized trucks deserve an exemption of some sort.

From the article:

“three amber marker lights are on the rear, too, suggesting that this truck could be more than 80 inches wide.”

I have no idea about amber markers and the relation to a width of a vehicle. If it is indeed over 80 inches wide then that should make for some interesting maneuvering on narrower streets and parking.

From the article:

“three amber marker lights are on the rear, too, suggesting that this truck could be more than 80 inches wide.”

I have no idea about amber markers and the relation to a width of a vehicle. If it is indeed over 80 inches wide then that should make for some interesting maneuvering on narrower streets and parking.
Think Ford Raptor .Thats why the Raptor has those same lights.

I was next to a 1990-ish F150 in traffic yesterday morning. I couldn't believe how small it looked compared to these manhood extenders that are the norm today.
Guys like you make me laugh. Some people use their stuff, bur hey judge away.
20210603_081610.jpg
20210527_160324.jpg

But I digress. The new Tundra? Big grill lots of cooling. Will get the job done. As always beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Back