2021 Rav 4 OCI?

Thats not too bad actually. Dump 5 in and it should go the full 10k, I noticed mine does show overfull with 5–I was kinda surprised at at how overfull it is.

Really wish OEM’s would figure out how to make ‘em use round numbers of quarts…
Mines show overfull at 4.8 qt, and that is what the manual calls for.

I never had a 2.5L 4 last with 0W20 never mind 0W16. I have had over 75 cars, most new.
The only engine that lasted on 0W20 was the wife 2017 2.0 Crosstrek. That was a low performance 2 litre.

You would see me with 5W20 in there. if it cannot run well on that oil (5W20), then the engine is junk or the engineers are so focused on F.E. the service life of engines will have been been reduced from 4250 hours to 2500 hrs.

Granted mine is the Hybrid, but my oil doesn't even change color until 7,000 miles. I change it around then with 0w-20. I've still got 1 free oil change from the dealer so its back to 0w-16 next change here in a few weeks. Technically well within warranty since Im allowed to use 0w-20 every other oil change.

Oil Grades A25A.jpg

I never had a 2.5L 4 last with 0W20 never mind 0W16. I have had over 75 cars, most new.
The only engine that lasted on 0W20 was the wife 2017 2.0 Crosstrek. That was a low performance 2 litre.

You would see me with 5W20 in there. if it cannot run well on that oil (5W20), then the engine is junk or the engineers are so focused on F.E. the service life of engines will have been been reduced from 4250 hours to 2500 hrs.

Thousands of Tundras with much less advanced engines run hundreds of thousands of miles towing with 0w-20. Kind of apples to oranges but it cant all be the oils fault
Do you have a desktop folder for your hordes of Camry information?

Thousands of Tundras with much less advanced engines run hundreds of thousands of miles towing with 0w-20. Kind of apples to oranges but it cant all be the oils fault

Do you have a desktop folder for your hordes of Camry information?
ad244 I would hazard a guess you don't have that data at hand. But if you do please share,

I have my personal experience over 10's of cars running this oil. A small statistical sample, nonetheless relevant to me.
IMO the small bore / large stroke (4") four bangers don't do well on HTHS below 3cp.

ad244 I would hazard a guess you don't have that data at hand. But if you do please share,

I have my personal experience over 10's of cars running this oil. A small statistical sample, nonetheless relevant to me.
IMO the small bore / large stroke (4") four bangers don't do well on HTHS below 3cp.
You've had alot of engine failures

Hey guys, well the wife traded in her 16 Rogue and picked up a new 21 Rav 4 TRD... I see Toyota recommends 16,000km oil change intervals here in Canada running 0w16... I see the only one locally is made by Mobil 1... Is it ok to run that far on those new 2.5 4 cylinders? Never really seen anything with 0w16 yet so was just wondering what the consensus is on OCI for these new Toyota's
I figure it's all severe service so run the Toyota severe service schdule.

Other than looking at the highlighted oil weights, what does the Russian text say? That is also important.
Easily interpreted by looking at other versions of owners manuals in the language with which you're familiar. Here's an English version for the 2AR-FE engine. Perhaps it will help you to better understand the Russian version I posted. It's also clear that viscosities other than 0W-20 are acceptable in the 2AR-FE engine.
Oil Grades for 2ARFE Emgine.jpg

Last edited:
Easily interpreted by looking at other versions of owners manuals in the language with which you're familiar. Here's an English version for the 2AR-FE engine. Perhaps it will help you to better understand the Russian version I posted. It's also clear that viscosities other than 0W-20 are acceptable in the 2AR-FE engine.
View attachment 67322
But we are talking A25A engine, not the 2AR motor.

The US owner's manual includes a caveat when 0w20 is used when 0w16 is not available.

But we are talking A25A engine, not the 2AR motor.

The US owner's manual includes a caveat when 0w20 is used when 0w16 is not available.
I used the AR engine info so you could use it as a template to understand the Russian. Clearly, that was a misguided attempt at expediency on my part. So, here's the oil requirements for the current A25A-FKS engine.

A25A-FKS Oil Recommendations.JPG

In the end, who administers the warranty in the event of a lubrication issue during the warranty period? Which ever country you bought the car from, you follow their owner’s manual

In the end, who administers the warranty in the event of a lubrication issue during the warranty period? Which ever country you bought the car from, you follow their owner’s manual
Maybe you wont need it if you run 5W20 :) I bet NO mechanics at the dealer buy into the 0W16. VW out 5W40 in my VW that calle for a "thin" 0W20 VW508 spec oil. Now that was a mistake and carelessness.
Not saying they are right or wrong. Who would deny warranty on oil related failure du to the use of one grade higher - but with proper Winter rating for ambient staring conditions. That is just paranoia.

Back