2021 Rav 4 OCI?

Hey guys, well the wife traded in her 16 Rogue and picked up a new 21 Rav 4 TRD... I see Toyota recommends 16,000km oil change intervals here in Canada running 0w16... I see the only one locally is made by Mobil 1... Is it ok to run that far on those new 2.5 4 cylinders? Never really seen anything with 0w16 yet so was just wondering what the consensus is on OCI for these new Toyota's

Toyota has been doing 10k mile OCIs for years. The '14 RAV we bought new was 10k on 0w-20. I was on and off RAV forums and there were never complaints with the 2.5 (except that you couldn't get the 6) and the great majority of people were following Toyota's OCI/viscosity recommendations. You can listen to Toyota or you can do what you want. I sold the RAV in January with 75k on 10k OCIs and the engine ran and sounded like the day we bought it.

What does a TRD model include?

The dynamic force A25A's oil pump is designed and calibrated for 0w16. Use the Toyota 0w16. It's not that terribly expensive and has a stout moly/boron package.
Can you show us where Toyota says that? Can you post a link, a copy of a document, something? How do you explain the same engine being able to use other viscosities outside the North American market?

The dynamic force A25A's oil pump is designed and calibrated for 0w16.
And the more advanced Toyota Rav 4 with the 2.5 Litre A25A engine, that is sold in Australia also allows you to use 0W20 and 5W30 and 10W30 while still keeping your factory warranty. We get the extra good design and calibration for our oil pump.

Can you show us where Toyota says that? Can you post a link, a copy of a document, something? How do you explain the same engine being able to use other viscosities outside the North American market?
I'm interested in this also - particularly the calibration part...

I think The_Critic has indicated that some have seen oil burning after 80k on this motor. Who knows, it’s pretty early still. For me, I plan on 5k OCI’s on ours, and once out of warranty, I’ll bump over to 0W20. If I had a RAV and planned on taking advantage of its towing ability, I’d probably switch to 0W20 even sooner, but I don’t think I’d bother with 0W30.

Reactions: FZ1
My 2020 Rav4 is every 10k miles. Right now it has 0w20 in it because I didn't have any 0w16 on hand.

I would do no more than 8K mile OCI on 0w16 oil. After warranty, I would probably use 5w20 or 5w30. Congrats on the new car.

It is old school thinking that thicker oil will prevent oil consumption.

(Of course where appropriate,
VW 507 is a good idea.)

0W16.
5k mile/6 month OCI.

CarCareNut does not advise this for the North American market.
He implores.

If it is too late, he seems to say BG type products can clean up the rings somewhat.

Toyota has been doing 10k mile OCIs for years. The '14 RAV we bought new was 10k on 0w-20. I was on and off RAV forums and there were never complaints with the 2.5 (except that you couldn't get the 6) and the great majority of people were following Toyota's OCI/viscosity recommendations. You can listen to Toyota or you can do what you want. I sold the RAV in January with 75k on 10k OCIs and the engine ran and sounded like the day we bought it.

What does a TRD model include?

TRD includes TRD specific flow formed wheels and Falken A/T tires... TRD shocks and springs, different front fascia, front skid plate,, torque vectoring AWD etc

Are the new 2.5s burning oil? Wife does mostly all highway driving, 70km one way 3 to 4 days a week....Occasional short trips, being in Canada we get cold winters, she doesn't drive hard... 10-12000km changes should be ok I imagine? Thoughts

Are the new 2.5s burning oil? Wife does mostly all highway driving, 70km one way 3 to 4 days a week....Occasional short trips, being in Canada we get cold winters, she doesn't drive hard... 10-12000km changes should be ok I imagine? Thoughts
Stay on the 10k side.
Cheap insurance against ANY build up on the rings. Even at Canadian motor oil prices.

One of my friends has a 2018 with 90k+. Burns 1 qt between 10k drains with M1 0W16.

Only way to find out is to check the oil dipstick.

One of my friends has a 2018 with 90k+. Burns 1 qt between 10k drains with M1 0W16.
Thats not too bad actually. Dump 5 in and it should go the full 10k, I noticed mine does show overfull with 5–I was kinda surprised at at how overfull it is.

Really wish OEM’s would figure out how to make ‘em use round numbers of quarts…

Back