2021 Hyundai first oil change

I've had Fords for the last 30 years so I have always used Pennzoil or Motorcraft oil but my wife purchased a 2021 Hyundai Santa Fe
2.5 turbo. What is everyone recommendation for 4 cylinder turbo?

I've had Fords for the last 30 years so I have always used Pennzoil or Motorcraft oil but my wife purchased a 2021 Hyundai Santa Fe
2.5 turbo. What is everyone recommendation for 4 cylinder turbo?
In my Hyundai Tucson 1.6 TGDI I used what ever 5W-30 synthetic oil was on sale always used the OEM filters and did 6 month OCI's. Car always ran great.

Mobil1 AFE 0w30 while it's under warranty, the manual is a bit confusing in one place it says to use 0w-20 on both the GDI and TGDI versions but on the viscosity chart is says to use 0w20 for the GDI engine and 0w30 for the TGDI engine, so I'd go with Mobil1 AFE 0w30 since it's the only commonly available 0w-30.

Post pictures from the owners manual concerning oil grade and post pictures of the maintenance intervals required(severe vs normal).

No need for OEM filter. Use any quality name brand filter available.

I'd recommend an early oil/filter change to remove break in wear not caught by the filter.

Free maintenance intervals tend to be lacking and possibly negligent from some automakers.

My recommendation is to read the owners manual and its maintenance guide. And, driving style or weather conditions are things to consider if you plan on or see the need to deviate.

With Hyundai's infamous class action lawsuits concerning various other engines and transmissions, I'd recommend the severe/special service interval. This is the theta-iii and needed to be marketed as smartstream after all the 'theta-ii' issues.

For oil, ANY current spec full synthetic oil in the grade recommended by your automaker. You can step up a grade if you believe your driving style or weather might require it... or if you have no faith in the engineering of said product.

The 2.5T is a new engine and an unknown at this point. Take better than needed care of it and read on the Hyundai/Kia forums as some owners tend to bring out the worse in an engine with negligence and abuse. So, it could be a jewel or a boat anchor, and no one knows it yet.

Last edited:
Any major brand that meets the recommendations in your owners manual will be fine. I would run a full synthetic.
They provide oil changes at the normal service intervals shown in the owner's manual for the first three years. So... mine is an Elantra with the 2.0L with a 7500 mile "normal" service interval. I'll get a "free" one at 7500, 15000, 22500, & 30,000 miles. That is according to what they have published on the Hyundai web site.

My dealer told me it will cover one every 6000 miles. In that case I'd get six oil changes. I'm more comfortable for the 6000 mile interval so I'll go until they try and charge me.

Last edited:
My 2.5L turbo powered 2021 Sonata N Line oil fill cap and owner's manual specify 0W-20 full synthetic oil. I plan on using Kirkland brand 0W-20 synthetic oil and an OEM oil filter kit PN 26350-2S000.
CORRECTION: The N Line specific owner's manual specifies 0W-30 full synthetic oil. For my first oil change at 1300 miles I used Mobil1 0W-30 AFE

My 2.5L turbo powered 2021 Sonata N Line oil fill cap and owner's manual specify 0W-20 full synthetic oil. I plan on using Kirkland brand 0W-20 synthetic oil and an OEM oil filter kit PN 26350-2S000.
CORRECTION: The N Line specific owner's manual specifies 0W-30 full synthetic. At 1300 miles I changed oil with 6.13 qts of Mobil1 0W-30 AFE.

*I would use the highest / thickest synthetic oil the owners manual recommends (5W30 , 5W40 for a DI turbo application.

Back