2021 Hyundai 0W 30

This is a question for my curiosity the 2021 Santa Fe with 2.5 turbo are built in Alabama. The manual that came with the car recommends Quaker State but to my knowledge QS doesn't make a 0W 30 in the U S. So what kind of oil did this car leave the Alabama plant with?
And you would need or want 0W in warm winter Alabama because it give you that sub-zero pour point or what? 5W oils are much easier to find and on sale.

And you would need or want 0W in warm winter Alabama because it give you that sub-zero pour point or what? 5W oils are much easier to find and on sale.
The OP said that the cars are made in AL.

He never said that he lived there.

But I agree with your point. A 5w30 synthetic will serve him will as long as he does not live in sub-zero conditions.

The manual sounds like all that is required is a multi-grade SN plus oil. It mentions that you can use semi-synthetic or mineral oil, but a conventional is not made in a 0w30 oil.

Use your favorite brand 5w30 synthetic and your car will be happy. :D

That chart seems to tell me that the 0w-20 is okay for the NA engine, but add a turbo, and its not enough to get through warranty, or they would specify it.
Who thinks the bottom end blocks are different?

I don't. Difference would be the intake, exhaust, and lower compression pistons.

That confirms why i will not run anything less than a 30 in my engines.
The bottom end of the turbo engines are more highly stressed than the NA engines. Thus the need for higher HTHS oil. That's all.

The bottom end of the turbo engines are more highly stressed than the NA engines. Thus the need for higher HTHS oil. That's all.
I agree. It also indicates that the notion that lighter oils are better for the engine. The same lower end would be fine on 30wt, the 20 recommendation is all cafe.

We've been over this in older threads. We came to the conclusion that we're overthinking things.

The company 'recommends' Quaker State. Your specific car recommends a 0W30 if it's a 2.5T. Any 0W30 meeting current API spec is fine.

Mobil1 AFE 0W-30 is one.

If I lived in Carson City, I would use 10W and some of the same oil I am currently using in our 2.4L Tuscon:
  • Pennzoil Platinum 5/10W-30
  • M1 EP 10W-30
  • Castrol GTX Magnatec Full Synthetic 10W-30
  • *Chevron Supreme 10W-30 with reduced oci.
*I would probably drop the CS 10W30 dino if I had a turbo. Also may move up to xW40 with turbo and summer time ... There are some good Euro 0W40s and relatively inexpensive.

btw, in general all 10W 's have a much lower Noack.

I think owner's manual specified 0W to cover all geographic areas plus 0W oils are forced to be good. i.e. oil companies can't dump a cheap or inferior 0W oil on you. Whereas with for example 10W, they can make an inferior oil and you have to be careful what you are using and pay more attention to certs and approvals.

Last edited:
I thought OP lives in Carson City. Must have clicked on a wrong poster :)

Anyway, 10W is still good down south. Down to 0F or iirc even -12F.

We've gotten way off topic. I just wanted to know what kind of oil the factory used.

The oil fill cap on my 2021 Sonata N Line with Smartstream G2.5T GDi is labeled 0W-20 while the owners' manual specifies 0W-30. I'm going with Mobil1 0W-30 AFE. My Hyundai dealers says they put in QS 0W-20 full synthetic for the 36 month complimentary service.

Quaker State Full Synthetic (QSFS) 5W-30 would serve beautifully. It's AKA QSUD. QSFS is priced right.

Kirkland full syn 5W-30 would serve as well, its' also priced right.

To be blunt, most any other quality xW-30 weight oil would serve this vehicle well in a semi-syn to full-syn formula.

Enjoy the vehicle. Change your oil on-time. Yet, early and often OCI's would be most ideal!

Back