2021 Hyundai 0W 30

On the oil cap and on the next page in the owners manual
I have the same engine in my 2021 KIA Serento. 2.5 T-GDI.
My oil cap and manual call for 0W-30 synthetic. The Kia dealers use a French oil. Thicker viscosity for turbo bearings at high tempatures

The same engine non turbo calls for 0W-20 in my kia manual.

In a GDI - Turbo engine that states to use "0W30" , I would use 5W30 Synthetic with the lowest VII's possible to curtail intake valve deposits which would be : Valvoline Advanced 5W30 synthetic or Quaker State 5W30 Full Synthetic with a max OCI of 4,000 miles . 0W30 oils all have more VII's to address the larger range where as the 5W30 uses less VII's due to more narrow range . If vehicle had a traditional PFI engine , I would use the 0W30 synthetic oil without any concerns (but not in a GDI engine) .

In a GDI - Turbo engine that states to use "0W30" , I would use 5W30 Synthetic with the lowest VII's possible to curtail intake valve deposits which would be : Valvoline Advanced 5W30 synthetic or Quaker State 5W30 Full Synthetic with a max OCI of 4,000 miles . 0W30 oils all have more VII's to address the larger range where as the 5W30 uses less VII's due to more narrow range . If vehicle had a traditional PFI engine , I would use the 0W30 synthetic oil without any concerns (but not in a GDI engine) .
And HT/HS is desirable here, there's no reason not to go with something like Castrol 5W-30 LL with VW 504 00 approval. $24.04 at Walmart.com.

LSPI is not an issue with the 2.5 Turbo MPI/GDI. If you don't want to use Mobil 1 AFE 0W-30, then you can use any API SP 5W-30 motor oil. If you're going to drive it hard, then Castrol EDGE 0W-40 is a good choice, so are Quaker State Euro LX 0W-30, if you can find it, or Quaker State Euro 5W-40. As long as it's API-approved motor oil in the correct service category, you can use it. The correct service category means that you'll have to use a motor oil approved for gasoline engines.

I inquired at my local Hyundai dealer, and they use 5W-30 in the 2.5 Turbo MPI/GDI motors. They don't have 0W-30, and they're not even trying to get it. Hyundai doesn't have specific approvals or requirements, and their internal service manuals show motor oils up to 20W-50 for these engines. If you want to beat yourself up over this, go right ahead. In our 2.5 MPI/GDO (non-Turbo), I use Castrol EDGE EP 0W-20 because it's MB229.71 approved. If I had a 2.5 Turbo, I'd use Castrol EDGE 0W-40 to add protection. Turbocharged engines tend to cook the oil, and over time thin ILSAC oils will varnish the engine. Have you seen the inside of an EcoBoost engine that ran 5W-20/30 all its life? It looks terrible.

Back