Hyundai changes oil specs for 2016 2.0T SFSport

Status
Not open for further replies.
{*a reference to ACEA A5 or above was given but advised, "not necessary"}
When they print "not necessary" that tells me just about any good oil will do. I would not feel guilty abould using a 0/40 oil.

ROD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Does Rotella 15w-40 meet ACEA A5???

Certainly not, and you'll never find an A5 5w-40, either, since the A5 specification and the SAE J300 requirements for 5w-40 are mutually exclusive.

Indeed since A5/B5 are "energy conserving" oils ( low HTHS). Hyundai does specifies A5 or above. That sounds to me A3/B4 oil is also viable option ( in recommended grades).

Originally Posted By: Robster

Cool stuff. . . but I have to wonder if there are any mechanical changes that would widen the range of oil weights, or is it the same 'ol 2.0T that we know and love! As for me, I continue to live life on the edge, running Penn Plat 5w-30 with extra Ca. . .hehehehe. . . have I mentioned that I LOVE this engine? My wife is the daily driver of the SFS and to put it mildly, this vehicle spends a lot of time in "boost"--she doesn't baby it, but it continues to be a sweet-sounding, powerful engine that just keeps running great. --Rob

Couldn't agree more! AND, I too have some PUPP on deck since these motors don't appear to suffer from the LSPI phenomenon. Mostly been using Mobil1 and Valvoline SynPower.

Originally Posted By: rrounds
{*a reference to ACEA A5 or above was given but advised, "not necessary"}
When they print "not necessary" that tells me just about any good oil will do. I would not feel guilty abould using a 0/40 oil.

ROD

Sorry, this wasn't actually printed, it was what the dealerships and Hyundai Corp USA assured me of back in 2013.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I downloaded the 2016 Santa Fe Sport 2.0Turbo Owner's Manual to see what has changed. I have the 2013 model.

Unlike the 2015 Sonata 2.0T that underwent a HP reduction, the Santa Fe Sport 2.0T soldiers on with identical engine, 265 HP.

Changes for Turbo:

My 2013 Owner's Manual recommended
SM / GF-4
5W-30 or 10W-30
*a reference to ACEA A5 or above was given but advised, "not necessary"

2016 requirements
ACEA A5 or above
5W-30 and 5W-40 are on the same line in the approved viscosity chart. 5W-30 on oil cap.
Other approved viscosities:
10W-30, 15W-40 and 20W-50 (like the older Sonata 2.0T manuals)

https://carmanuals2.com/brand/hyundai/santa-fe-sport-2016-8614

OCI remaining constant
5,000 normal
3,000 severe

To me, it doesn't sound like much has changed, other than synthetic oil (ACEA oil) now being mandatory.

Note that xW-40 and XW-50 oils are A3/B4 (or A3/B3) oils, not A1/B1 or A5/B5.

In summary, you should be OK with any non-low-SAPS (non-ACEA-Cx) synthetic oil xW-30 or thicker.

Originally Posted By: Travis99LS1
I think in my personal opinion we put too much emphasis on viscosity. The new BMW's have 0w20 stickers under the hood. Almost none of the dealers carry this viscosity. I spoke with an engineer and he said to just use whatever viscosity we carry. He said 530 or 540 is perfectly fine. The 0w20 is what was used during federal emissions testing, and EPA fuel mileage testing so therefore it's what has to be recommended. There were no internal engine changes.

I doubt that you would need to make any changes to an engine that was specifically designed to use that grade.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3394810/1

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

To me, it doesn't sound like much has changed, other than synthetic oil (ACEA oil) now being mandatory.

Seriously ?

A5 defines synthetic ?

Because ACEA A4/B4 doesn't.

Originally Posted By: wemay

2016 requirements
ACEA A5 or above
5W-30 and 5W-40 are on the same line in the approved viscosity chart. 5W-30 on oil cap.

Originally Posted By: Garak
you'll never find an A5 5w-40, either, since the A5 specification and the SAE J300 requirements for 5w-40 are mutually exclusive.

Originally Posted By: chrisri

Indeed since A5/B5 are "energy conserving" oils ( low HTHS). Hyundai does specifies A5 or above. That sounds to me A3/B4 oil is also viable option ( in recommended grades).

Yes the A5 or above comment in the manual caught my eye.
What's Above A5/B5 ?

To me the only thing that is above A5/B5 is A3/B4, and as Garak points out you can't get a A5 oil that is 5W-40.

So I think the engineers are using legal speak to allow A3/B4 oils.

BTW, since this is BITOG, J300 says a 5W-40 has a min HTHS of 3.5, and ACEA says A5 has a HTHS of 2.9 or more and 3.5 or less. So you could probably make a 5W-40 that is A5 if it was bang on 3.5, but in reality you would never find one on the shelves. Most 5W-40's are about 3.8 from memory.

Yes, I would have no problem with a 0W-40 either, it just starts easier at colder temps.

SR5,
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2309349/Re:_Nulon_5W-30_diesel_synthet

Another reason taht I feel that they are suss...

As to J300, 0W, 5W, and 10W 40s used to only have to meet 2.9HTHS...changed in 2013 to 3.5 (making it an actual grade again).

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Seriously ?

A5 defines synthetic ?

Yep, I have a full mineral Castrol GTX 15W-40 that is A3/B3 sitting on my shelf at home.

SR5,
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2309349/Re:_Nulon_5W-30_diesel_synthet

Another reason taht I feel that they are suss...

As to J300, 0W, 5W, and 10W 40s used to only have to meet 2.9HTHS...changed in 2013 to 3.5 (making it an actual grade again).

Yeah, don't worry I'm over my interest in Nulon synthetic 10W-40 phase.

Castrol Edge 5W-40 or Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 will do me.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
That sounds to me A3/B4 oil is also viable option ( in recommended grades).

Up here, I'd be using an E7, E9 5w-40 or E6, E7, E9 5w-30 since those tend to be SM or SN, anyhow.
wink.gif

As for comments about A3/B4 and A5/B5 being synthetic, while it's correct that they may not technically have to be synthetic, finding a non-synthetic example in North America would be a pretty neat trick. Blenders providing a 15w-40 in North America are far more interested in E7, E9 than they are in A3/B3 A3/B4.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
new BMW's have 0w20 stickers under the hood.

Really? Thats news to me. Afaik, the ones sold in the us still call for LL01 spec, and im not aware of any 0w20 oils meeting it.

I should have been more specific..The 2016s with the N20 turbocharged 4 cylinder.

Still odd. I just looked at the 2016 328i owners manual. It still calls for LL-01 oil and no mention of 0w20 grade.

I think in my personal opinion we put too much emphasis on viscosity. The new BMW's have 0w20 stickers under the hood. Almost none of the dealers carry this viscosity. I spoke with an engineer and he said to just use whatever viscosity we carry. He said 530 or 540 is perfectly fine. The 0w20 is what was used during federal emissions testing, and EPA fuel mileage testing so therefore it's what has to be recommended. There were no internal engine changes. I personally feel this happens more often then not. What's recommended is not always the preferred viscosity.

Agree with you .............
blush.gif

They did the same thing to the Genesis Coupe 2L turbo. Comes with an oil cap that says 5w20. Two years later they changed the spec to 5w30 and above.

Originally Posted By: SR5

Seriously ?

A5 defines synthetic ?

Yep, I have a full mineral Castrol GTX 15W-40 that is A3/B3 sitting on my shelf at home.

Synthetic is a result of ACEA's NOACK spec. Since 15W-xx has such a thick base oil, its NOACK is low even with Group II; so, it doesn't need to be synthetic.

It's the same with GM dexos. GM dexos oils end up being synthetic because of the NOACK spec, not because dexos (or ACEA) explicitly specify synthetic (they don't).

API puts it best: “Synthetic” is a marketing term, not a technical term.

Synthetic is a result of ACEA's NOACK spec. Since 15W-xx has such a thick base oil, its NOACK is low even with Group II; so, it doesn't need to be synthetic.

It's the same with GM dexos. GM dexos oils end up being synthetic because of the NOACK spec, not because dexos (or ACEA) explicitly specify synthetic (they don't).

API puts it best: “Synthetic” is a marketing term, not a technical term.

You aren't making sense...

A5 must be a synthetic because of a 13% NOACK.

Synthetic is a marketting term, not a characteristic of composition.

So therefore oils that achieve 13% NOACK are synthetic.

So 7-11 5W30 must be a synthetic ?

http://www.pqiadata.org/7Eleven5W30.html

It's got the performance.

Hmmm yet another Manuf. switching to THICKER oil and I'm sure its for many good reasons. I bet all you thin oil boys are having a hard time sleeping at night now!

Seems like CAFE reasons have taken a backseat to engine durability/longevity to me!

27.gif
35.gif

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Hmmm yet another Manuf. switching to THICKER oil and I'm sure its for many good reasons. I bet all you thin oil boys are having a hard time sleeping at night now!

Seems like CAFE reasons have taken a backseat to engine durability/longevity to me!

27.gif
35.gif

Not necessarily. They still recommend 5W30 as primary, but in ACEA A5 guise now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back