Hyundai changes oil specs for 2016 2.0T SFSport

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
I downloaded the 2016 Santa Fe Sport 2.0Turbo Owner's Manual to see what has changed. I have the 2013 model.

Unlike the 2015 Sonata 2.0T that underwent a HP reduction, the Santa Fe Sport 2.0T soldiers on with identical engine, 265 HP.

Changes for Turbo:

My 2013 Owner's Manual recommended
SM / GF-4
5W-30 or 10W-30
*a reference to ACEA A5 or above was given but advised, "not necessary"

2016 requirements
ACEA A5 or above
5W-30 and 5W-40 are on the same line in the approved viscosity chart. 5W-30 on oil cap.
Other approved viscosities:
10W-30, 15W-40 and 20W-50 (like the older Sonata 2.0T manuals)

https://carmanuals2.com/brand/hyundai/santa-fe-sport-2016-8614

OCI remaining constant
5,000 normal
3,000 severe

It just makes you (me) a little jaded after recommending SN GF5 as "good enough because the mfr says so" to folks seeking advice. Almost as if you have to include the caveat, "but keep checking for changes from your mfr."

Hmm. I guess I dont even know what a B5 oil is. According to PQIA, M1 5w30 fits the bill, but per Mobil's site, it doesn't mention it. I am sure I am missing something though.

For a gas turbo charged engine, I don't think I'd ever recommend just any old SN GF5. I can understand using approved oils, but at the same time, it just has to last as long as the mfr's warranty. You did good by running M1 EP in yours even though (from what I can tell), it doesn't meet their current spec.

When my girlfriend's Volvo 2.4t hit the showroom floor, the mfr said any API SL 5w30 at 7.5k intervals was "good enough." Before knowing much about oils, I at least thought a synthetic was the best choice. Now I run an A3/B3 Euro oil and change it every 6 months which equals about 4-4.5k.

*There has been a few incidents here where fellow members accused me of "out-thinking" the engineers for her car. It's not like i am looking for a Dex3 for my Jeep's 42re because it's what i was raised with.

Last edited:
Man I'd love to have a new car that I could run rotella 15w40 or the synthetic 5w40 and not have any warranty concern.

Originally Posted By: Travis99LS1
Man I'd love to have a new car that I could run rotella 15w40

Does Rotella 15w-40 meet ACEA A5???

Originally Posted By: Brasileno
They really do spec almost anything.

It needs to meet ACEA A5, so it's not almost anything.

But you can put almost anything in your Blazer (if it's still alive). It'll probably not make any difference.

I think in my personal opinion we put too much emphasis on viscosity. The new BMW's have 0w20 stickers under the hood. Almost none of the dealers carry this viscosity. I spoke with an engineer and he said to just use whatever viscosity we carry. He said 530 or 540 is perfectly fine. The 0w20 is what was used during federal emissions testing, and EPA fuel mileage testing so therefore it's what has to be recommended. There were no internal engine changes. I personally feel this happens more often then not. What's recommended is not always the preferred viscosity.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Man I'd love to have a new car that I could run rotella 15w40

Good question..I spit that out with no regard to that spec LOL. It wouldn't stop me from running it though. Does any 1540 meet that spec?

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Thats what GM could have done instead of specing dexos1, just use A5 ACEA already there!
But then GM wouldn't receive the royalties $$$

new BMW's have 0w20 stickers under the hood.

Really? Thats news to me. Afaik, the ones sold in the us still call for LL01 spec, and im not aware of any 0w20 oils meeting it.

new BMW's have 0w20 stickers under the hood.

Really? Thats news to me. Afaik, the ones sold in the us still call for LL01 spec, and im not aware of any 0w20 oils meeting it.

I should have been more specific..The 2016s with the N20 turbocharged 4 cylinder.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I downloaded the 2016 Santa Fe Sport 2.0Turbo Owner's Manual to see what has changed. I have the 2013 model.

Unlike the 2015 Sonata 2.0T that underwent a HP reduction, the Santa Fe Sport 2.0T soldiers on with identical engine, 265 HP.

Changes for Turbo:

My 2013 Owner's Manual recommended
SM / GF-4
5W-30 or 10W-30
*a reference to ACEA A5 or above was given but advised, "not necessary"

2016 requirements
ACEA A5 or above
5W-30 and 5W-40 are on the same line in the approved viscosity chart. 5W-30 on oil cap.
Other approved viscosities:
10W-30, 15W-40 and 20W-50 (like the older Sonata 2.0T manuals)

https://carmanuals2.com/brand/hyundai/santa-fe-sport-2016-8614

OCI remaining constant
5,000 normal
3,000 severe

Cool stuff. . . but I have to wonder if there are any mechanical changes that would widen the range of oil weights, or is it the same 'ol 2.0T that we know and love! As for me, I continue to live life on the edge, running Penn Plat 5w-30 with extra Ca. . .hehehehe. . . have I mentioned that I LOVE this engine? My wife is the daily driver of the SFS and to put it mildly, this vehicle spends a lot of time in "boost"--she doesn't baby it, but it continues to be a sweet-sounding, powerful engine that just keeps running great. --Rob

Certainly not, and you'll never find an A5 5w-40, either, since the A5 specification and the SAE J300 requirements for 5w-40 are mutually exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back