2021 GM 3.6 recommendations

That sounds right. I think 5W30 EP is about the same or close to 30% as well.

We have a few recent posts about the pour point on AFE changing, so might be worth a read if anyone as interested in it.

I was not aware there was a change in formulation, thank you! It still has all the same ratings and seems to be a good oil. I haven’t looked too far into 5w30’s, but I would still wager to bet it (M1 0w30) outperforms the majority of 5w30’s that is commonly available on the shelves.

Me personally? The staff at my local dealer are a bunch of knuckleheads. They leave the car a mess, strip drain bolts, and overtighten oil filters. My Cruze was not backspec'd to 0W20 like the 18s and 19s are. I just happened to look up the part number on my invoice and it said 0W20. Back in it had to go and get drained and refilled. I brought my car for the initial few oil changes and then stopped, even though it has "free lube for life". After about 3 or 4 my drain bolt was already destroyed. Not that replacing it is some big expenditure, but I know they aren't taking care with my car. Plus an oil change at my dealer can take an hour or more because they are always behind at the last appointment is a 3:30PM. At that point, screw it.

Plus they like to stick a PF64 on my car, where it calls out for a UPF64R for the 16.5's and 17s with the higher bypass rating. The 18 and 19s that switched to 0W20 do not. There is no aftermarket filter that meets that spec except the UPF64R as fair as I know. Fram and Wix come close, but do not. Even with the tech bulletin in hand they won't do a UPF64R. I'd imagine it's one more part to stock, and its not a cheap filter they order in quantity.

The local Valvoline pays more than the chain of dealerships in my area pays lube technicians. I know that for a fact which also makes me not want much to do with them. Plus an oil change is dead simple on both the cars I care for. I get under and check CVs, brakes, subframe condition, bushings, and whatever else I can see.

I'll take the time to do it myself and not hope didn't someone double gasketed me, grabbed the wrong oil gun, installed the wrong filter, cranked my drain bolt to 200ft lbs, or sat their oily ass in my clean seats. I know it's done right with the exact oil I want, and if I wanna let it drain for half an hour I can.

I think back to this thread I posted a few years ago - https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/why-i-hate-dealer-changes-how-about-you.256257

I completely agree that the majority of dealers are full of idiots that don’t care. I’ve worked at a couple Toyota dealers and a very meticulous independent shop. I’ve seen some people do some stuff that doesn’t even make sense to non-car people. I have confronted many techs about their questionable actions, most of the time they brush it off, especially when I was in my 20’s and they were way older. Then they wonder why certain “common” issues come up and it can be directly related to their own practices. I’ve seen this more with domestic dealers hearing from friends that work at those place than the Toyota dealers I worked for. The only person I trust do things I can’t in my driveway is a guy I have known for years and is more anal than me. He works at a shop 1hr away and is progressing to own the shop.

All of my local dealers are exactly as you describe. It’s disheartening to see, but it’s the way it is now in many places. Peoples lack of give sh!t is getting more annoying than ever.

I was not aware there was a change in formulation, thank you! It still has all the same ratings and seems to be a good oil. I haven’t looked too far into 5w30’s, but I would still wager to bet it (M1 0w30) outperforms the majority of 5w30’s that is commonly available on the shelves.

I completely agree that the majority of dealers are full of idiots that don’t care. I’ve worked at a couple Toyota dealers and a very meticulous independent shop. I’ve seen some people do some stuff that doesn’t even make sense to non-car people. I have confronted many techs about their questionable actions, most of the time they brush it off, especially when I was in my 20’s and they were way older. Then they wonder why certain “common” issues come up and it can be directly related to their own practices. I’ve seen this more with domestic dealers hearing from friends that work at those place than the Toyota dealers I worked for. The only person I trust do things I can’t in my driveway is a guy I have known for years and is more anal than me. He works at a shop 1hr away and is progressing to own the shop.

All of my local dealers are exactly as you describe. It’s disheartening to see, but it’s the way it is now in many places. Peoples lack of give sh!t is getting more annoying than ever.
I briefly worked for a dealer as well. I was not impressed with 75% of the technicians there. A few of the senior guys were good, but some were clueless and some showed signs of having other issues that I don't want to get into. I was in parts and saw a lot of interesting stuff even in a short time. I knew it wasn't for me, I'm just not built to let things go like that. The first time I wrote up a 120 dollar oil change my head about fell off my shoulders. There was some part and number fudging that was questionable as well.

The way they underpaid the younger tire/lube techs was terrible. They always complained they couldn't keep any of them. Well maybe don't pay them 13 bucks an hour and they will care. Didn't help the dispatcher was brutal and very mean to them. Didn't pull that crap with me, but I remember what it was like to be 18, 19, 20 years old and be messed with. Just a really nasty vile person. Most of the younger techs were really good kids too and most were turned totally off from working in the auto industry as a career, it was just a job. Most were looking for other work. No one needs to be screamed at to go faster, or called names. I'd chat with them and tell them to ignore people like that, but I was in no position to help considering management condoned it.

I did make friends with one of the senior techs so it worked out in the end. The funny part is that tech left a few weeks after I did for a new dealer and a different brand. That will be my first and last foray into working at any kind of shop.

Last edited:
Me personally? The staff at my local dealer are a bunch of knuckleheads. They leave the car a mess, strip drain bolts, and overtighten oil filters. My Cruze was not backspec'd to 0W20 like the 18s and 19s are. I just happened to look up the part number on my invoice and it said 0W20. Back in it had to go and get drained and refilled. I brought my car for the initial few oil changes and then stopped, even though it has "free lube for life". After about 3 or 4 my drain bolt was already destroyed. Not that replacing it is some big expenditure, but I know they aren't taking care with my car. Plus an oil change at my dealer can take an hour or more because they are always behind at the last appointment is a 3:30PM. At that point, screw it.

Plus they like to stick a PF64 on my car, where it calls out for a UPF64R for the 16.5's and 17s with the higher bypass rating. The 18 and 19s that switched to 0W20 do not. There is no aftermarket filter that meets that spec except the UPF64R as fair as I know. Fram and Wix come close, but do not. Even with the tech bulletin in hand they won't do a UPF64R. I'd imagine it's one more part to stock, and its not a cheap filter they order in quantity.

The local Valvoline pays more than the chain of dealerships in my area pays lube technicians. I know that for a fact which also makes me not want much to do with them. Plus an oil change is dead simple on both the cars I care for. I get under and check CVs, brakes, subframe condition, bushings, and whatever else I can see.

I'll take the time to do it myself and not hope didn't someone double gasketed me, grabbed the wrong oil gun, installed the wrong filter, cranked my drain bolt to 200ft lbs, or sat their oily ass in my clean seats. I know it's done right with the exact oil I want, and if I wanna let it drain for half an hour I can.

I think back to this thread I posted a few years ago - https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/why-i-hate-dealer-changes-how-about-you.256257
Not gonna lie, I'd hate the dealership too with that luck. I only had a VW dealer screw me once long ago and I said that tech will never touch the car again. Stripped the drain plug and said it was "My fault". Luckily I have no complaints for the Chevy dealer I take it to but I would certainly start doing it myself if they became incompetent.

I just got my sample pump and will start doing OA's on the regular before the oil is changed. I've done them in the past on other vehicles but stopped because I wasn't changing it myself so it just went the wayside.

Not gonna lie, I'd hate the dealership too with that luck. I only had a VW dealer screw me once long ago and I said that tech will never touch the car again. Stripped the drain plug and said it was "My fault". Luckily I have no complaints for the Chevy dealer I take it to but I would certainly start doing it myself if they became incompetent.

I just got my sample pump and will start doing OA's on the regular before the oil is changed. I've done them in the past on other vehicles but stopped because I wasn't changing it myself so it just went the wayside.
Mine writes *** NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DRAIN PLUGS OVER 75,000 MILES *** on the invoices. When did the drain plug become a consumable?

I briefly worked for a dealer as well. I was not impressed with 75% of the technicians there. A few of the senior guys were good, but some were clueless and some showed signs of having other issues that I don't want to get into. I was in parts and saw a lot of interesting stuff even in a short time. I knew it wasn't for me, I'm just not built to let things go like that. The first time I wrote up a 120 dollar oil change my head about fell off my shoulders. There was some part and number fudging that was questionable as well.

The way they underpaid the younger tire/lube techs was terrible. They always complained they couldn't keep any of them. Well maybe don't pay them 13 bucks an hour and they will care. Didn't help the dispatcher was brutal and very mean to them. Didn't pull that crap with me, but I remember what it was like to be 18, 19, 20 years old and be messed with. Just a really nasty vile person. Most of the younger techs were really good kids too and most were turned totally off from working in the auto industry as a career, it was just a job. Most were looking for other work. No one needs to be screamed at to go faster, or called names. I'd chat with them and tell them to ignore people like that, but I was in no position to help considering management condoned it.

I did make friends with one of the senior techs so it worked out in the end. The funny part is that tech left a few weeks after I did for a new dealer and a different brand. That will be my first and last foray into working at any kind of shop.

Sounds a lot like my experiences at dealers. Luckily I didn't have to deal with that at the dealers I worked I worked at, but I know people at other dealer that deal with that type of management. It's too bad people feel like they have to be like that in attempt to get better results. It's been my experience as an auto tech and USAF aircraft tech that sugar certainly works better than vinegar, within reason. Sometimes you need to lay down the law, but IMO only when it's justified. Pulling someone aside, being genuine and asking what's going on has rectified poor performance very well. When respect is demanded, you get robots with no give a ****. When respect is mutual and earned, you get a passionate hard working team.

It is surprising the stuff you see as a tech or a parts guy. They can learn a lot from each other and it's cool to see parts that can be used from one model to a different and improve performance, drivability and reliability.

At that dealer I worked at I watched more times than I'd like to admit other lube techs that didn't pay attention forget to put a filter back on and make a huge mess or even back out leaving a snail trail of oil a handful of times! Hell, one guy forgot to put oil in 2 separate times and blew the engine on both!! Many times they would underfill, overfill or put the wrong fluid in something when topping off fluids. Another didn't place the arms on the hoist right and a 6mo old highlander fell nose first from 4-5ft off the hoist, luckily no one was under it. We've all made mistakes, but d@mn!!!

New Chevy Traverse RS in our stable and of course I need to pick an oil brand for it. What are folks having good success with in these engines? Engine uses 5W-30 dexos, gen2.
IMG_8523.jpg

IMG_8524.jpg

I use Mobil 1 in my 3.6 CTS but I've run a lot of Supertech Syn in them as well and results were the same. I opened my CTS for new injectors and high pressure pump at 170k and the motor was clean as a whistle absolutely NO varnish or off coloring. I later opened another 3.6 in a Camaro with 95k miles that I maintained for the customer using supertech Syn ran at the OLM recommendations and when I removed valve covers to replace gaskets the inside was just as clean as mine with the Mobil 1. So my suggestion is to use any good syn oil meeting Dexos and be happy....you can literally shop by price with that spec.

Back