2020 Ram 1500 Oil

Originally Posted by Toto
I said did any weight "Mobil 1" oil bottle ever state Chrysler MS-6395 approved not Chrysler MS-10850! I'm well aware Mobil was the factory fill at one time, I'm not disputing that.

Per my post, when FIAT bought the Chrysler group they re-numbered at least some of the MS approvals which is how MS-10850 became MS-12633, so if MS-6395 came out AFTER the takeover, no, no Mobil 1 product would have carried it, they would have carried whatever that same approval was labelled from BEFORE the takeover IF it was re-numbered.

EDIT:

Just looked it up using the Internet Archive:
https://web.archive.org/web/20080915103649/http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_5W-20.aspx

[Linked Image]

So yes, Mobil approved Mobil 1 products to MS-6395 before the FIAT takeover and this also shows that MS-6395 wasn't re-numbered like the SRT approvals were. Does that help?
lol.gif

Cool I wish they were still MS-6395 approved, like I said who cares about hard feelings be better to the consumer, get the approval and make more money!

Cool I wish they were still MS-6395 approved, like I said who cares about hard feelings be better to the consumer, get the approval and make more money!

I expect many people like myself are using it without concern. The verbiage in the manual is pretty vague about the importance of MS-6395 with the only real requirement appearing to be API SN in the appropriate grade. Is it a bit petty? Yeah, it probably is, but I expect that contract was a pretty good source of revenue and having it yanked obviously resulted in hard feelings.

I use "Mobil 1" 0W-40 in my brothers 325i BMW, with his past employee discount and it being on sale I think the past 6 5quart Jugs have been $9.00 each, Mobil did drop the BMW LL-01 certification but he doesn't care!

I use "Mobil 1" 0W-40 in my brothers 325i BMW, with his past employee discount and it being on sale I think the past 6 5quart Jugs have been $9.00 each, Mobil did drop the BMW LL-01 certification but he doesn't care!

Yeah, a lot of 0w-40's no longer have LL-01, another strange development.

Bumping this thread. I found an older post containing the parameters for the Mopar MS-6395 spec:

Personally id say Mopar knows best. Rather then speculate with alternative oil options. Look for a quality PAO (Poly-alpha-olefin) based MS-6395 compliant 5W-20. A good PAO will have a good shear stability and a 5W-30 isn't necessarily needed. It will be good for a 10,000 mile change interval and you wont feel bad if you go over......

If you don't want to run an unapproved oil, I'd do exactly as you've planned

That's my take on this as well. Having just gotten my used 2019 Ram 1500 classic with a Hemi, I did an oil change w/in a few hundred miles and went with Supertech synthetic 5w30 and a can of Liqui Moly MoS2 additive. I haven't been an additive guy in many years. Just trying it.

Personally id say Mopar knows best. Rather then speculate with alternative oil options. Look for a quality PAO (Poly-alpha-olefin) based MS-6395 compliant 5W-20. A good PAO will have a good shear stability and a 5W-30 isn't necessarily needed. It will be good for a 10,000 mile change interval and you wont feel bad if you go over......

There is some evidence that the DOD engines do best on lighter oils like a low HTHS 0W-20. It appears to help reduce damaged lifters and damaged cams.

There is some evidence that the DOD engines do best on lighter oils like a low HTHS 0W-20. It appears to help reduce damaged lifters and damaged cams.

In 3yrs of following this type of hemi topic, I have not seen this to be the case.

I reached out to FCA for a list of MS-6395 licensed engine oils. I assumed that FCA maintained a list of approved oils similar to how the Euro manufacturers do. Apparently, FCA operates differently and their official response was to use an oil that is advertised to meets the requirements. Without a list of licensed oils, one can only assume that claiming MS-6395 compatibility is a self-certifying process. If this is the case, what is stopping Mobil from recommending their product for MS-6395?

"Our records indicate this vehicle was equipped from the factory with the following:
EZL 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque Engine

We recommend you use API Certified SAE 5W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Mopar, Pennzoil, and Shell Helix.

We do not have a list of approved engine oils. If you choose to use an engine oil other than what is recommended, you are responsible for making sure the engine oil you choose meets or exceeds FCA engine oil requirements. If necessary, you may need to contact the engine oil manufacturer to verify oil information.

Sincerely,
Joe
servlet.ImageServer

ref:_00Dj01qsDF._5003Z16ByOM:ref"

I reached out to FCA for a list of MS-6395 licensed engine oils. I assumed that FCA maintained a list of approved oils similar to how the Euro manufacturers do. Apparently, FCA operates differently and their official response was to use an oil that is advertised to meets the requirements. Without a list of licensed oils, one can only assume that claiming MS-6395 compatibility is a self-certifying process. If this is the case, what is stopping Mobil from recommending their product for MS-6395?

"Our records indicate this vehicle was equipped from the factory with the following:
EZL 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque Engine

We recommend you use API Certified SAE 5W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Mopar, Pennzoil, and Shell Helix.

We do not have a list of approved engine oils. If you choose to use an engine oil other than what is recommended, you are responsible for making sure the engine oil you choose meets or exceeds FCA engine oil requirements. If necessary, you may need to contact the engine oil manufacturer to verify oil information.

Sincerely,
Joe
servlet.ImageServer

ref:_00Dj01qsDF._5003Z16ByOM:ref"

They do.

As I stated early "Recommended for MS-6395" is listed on their site for Super Synthetic.

You would have to ask them why they don't list on other oils.

In 3yrs of following this type of hemi topic, I have not seen this to be the case.

Higher viscosity can result in skidding which then results in flat spotting of the roller which eventually causes the needle bearings to fail which damages the cam.

Higher viscosity can result in skidding which then results in flat spotting of the roller which eventually causes the needle bearings to fail which damages the cam.

Doubtful, or the SRT's would have a vastly higher failure rate given the spec of 0w-40, but it actually seems to be lower.

If the difference between 5w20 and 5w30 causes this, there's more going on than the oil in use.

I wasn't nec
Or the difference between the FCA recommend 5W-20 and his recommended 0W-20.

I wasn't necessarily recommending an 0W-20. Just specified the lightest weight oil that met MS-6395. I was more referring to the tendency to want to run a higher HTHS oil like a 40 grade vs a 20 grade. Yes quality control of lifters was (and possibly still is) suspect, yes the cylinder deactivation introduces additional stresses, valve float can play a role but yes a higher viscosity oil can contribute.

Reactions: JTK
Back