2020 Ram 1500 Oil

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by Brian123
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

+1..... if you don't mind buying it online at Walmart.com.
You will need two jugs anyways. So that means free shipping.
Valvoline Advanced, Castrol EP and Mobil-1 EP, three more good choices.

Want to spend more?...
Schaeffers 9000
Amsoil SS
Red Line

Want to spend less eventually?....
Castrol Magnatec
Quaker State Durability
Rotella T6 Gas & Truck

The truck calls for a MS-6395 compliant 5W-20. If I am to deviate from this spec, there needs to be a compelling reason for it. Schaeffer's/Redline/Amsoil/Mobil 1 are not MS-6395 compliant.

Double check the manual. Is there an area where it says 5w30 can be used? My brothers 2016 Jeep's manual does.

Mine does as well, and at the first OCI [a short FF run and dump] 5W30 went in, and I stuck with it.

Nope, 5W-30 is not an option listed in the OM, and that section has been thoroughly dissected on the various RAM forums. It is an option for the Hemi in the 2500 trucks when towing 14,000 lbs or more. A lot of the discussions center around FCA using the word "recommends" and not "requires" the use of 5W-20 meeting MS-6395, but the last paragraph kind of says it all, make of it what you will. Below is what's in the OM.

Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) — 5.7L Engine

Mopar SAE 5W-20 engine oil approved to FCA Material
Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix, or equivalent
is recommended for all operating temperatures. This
engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle
fuel economy.

The engine oil filler cap also shows the recommended engine
oil viscosity for your engine. For information on engine oil
filler cap location, refer to the "Engine Compartment" illustration
in this section.

Lubricants which do not have both the engine oil certification
mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number
should not be used.

Originally Posted by Ignatius
If you want to use a 5w20 I strongly recommend Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5w20. I think it is a hidden gem among 20 weight oils having incredibly good specs and performance for a very reasonable price,

What he said ^

Originally Posted by tiger862
Originally Posted by farrarfan1
I've been faced with the same issue after picking up a 2020 Laramie back in March. FCA recommends Mopar and Shell/Pennzoil in the manual and as a lifelong Valvoline user it pains me to say it, but I've decided to use Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 in mine. I know full well that any quality 5W-20 produced by any of the majors would work just fine, but in the unlikely event of a cam/lifter issue I would like to be able to show FCA that I followed their recommendation on brand and weight. If you frequent any of the Ram message boards you'll find recommendations all over the place, Redline 5W-30 has an almost cult like following, as does Platinum Ultra, and a lot of owners believe 5W-30 is "better" than 5W-20 in the Hemi 5.7L, especially if towing or hauling heavy weight. That is a whole other can of worms.

I also recently bought a one year old 2019 Jeep Cherokee with the 2.0L turbo that calls for synthetic 5W-30 that meets Chrysler material standard MS-13340. The only two oils that actually list that spec that I could find is the Mopar branded 5W-30 and Pennzoil Platinum, the Ultra doesn't. Again, I've been around long enough to know that any quality 5W-30 synthetic would work just fine. but I'd like to have documentation that I used what the manual recommends in the event I have an issue later on with the turbo or engine in general. The Jeep was owned by a salesman at a large Chevrolet dealership that also owns a Chrysler dealership and had all of the service work done there. I changed the oil today in the Jeep, just so I would know what is actually in the crankcase, with SP/GF-6 Platinum 5W-30 that was bottled on 6-3-20.The filter I took off was an AC-Delco PF48E, no idea what kind of oil it had in it, but I'd guess it was probably also AC-Delco. This was the first time in almost 50 years of changing my own oil that I cracked open a jug of Pennzoil, not Valvoline, so it was kind of a sad day.

I'm not advocating blindly following what the manufacture recommends, it's just what I decided to do after giving it a lot of thought.

According to the manual it states as follows

Engine Oil Selection — 2.0L Engine
For best performance and maximum protection under all
types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only rec-
ommend engine oils that are API SN PLUS certified and
meet the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-
13340. An equivalent full synthetic engine oil can be used if
it meets API SN PLUS Certification. If SN PLUS or equiva-
lent oil is unavailable then please contact your local
dealership for recommendation.
So any SN Plus Certification. On Valvoline's website they recommend Valvoline Advance Full Synthetic 5w30.

That is an addendum that was added to the owners manual, and like I said I know any of the majors would work. Here is what's in the manual for mine, not the best wording but I think the manual was thrown together quickly since the 2.0L turbo was new in 2019 and the addendum was added later to clear things up

Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) — 2.0L Engine

Mopar 5W-30 engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-13340 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or equivalent is recommended for all operating temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy.

The engine oil filler cap also shows the recommended engine oil viscosity for your engine. For information on engine oil filler cap location, refer to the "Engine Compartment" illustration in this section.

Lubricants which do not have both the engine oil certification mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number should not be used.

The truck calls for a MS-6395 compliant 5W-20. If I am to deviate from this spec, there needs to be a compelling reason for it. Schaeffer's/Redline/Amsoil/Mobil 1 are not MS-6395 compliant.

Baloney

All-3 that I mentioned yesterday ....(Amsoil / Schaeffer /Red Line) are MS-6395 compliant in 5w20
The Mobil-1 EP in 5w20 meets the strictest gasoline specs of GM dexos1:GEN2 Licensed, yet No MOPAR approvals are listed at Mobil's website. That's bizarre.

So no MOPAR engine using 5w20 should use Mobil-1 EP?. Is that because Exxon-Mobil refused to pay a king's ransom for the official MOPAR approval rating? ..........Sounds like it to me. We've seen this happen before in the industry.
Mobil-1 EP is a much better oil than some on the MOPAR Approval list and already has passed the strictest spec...... Dexos..

Mobil=1 EP lovers should boycott buying Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi pickups.

Last edited:

Baloney

All-3 that I mentioned yesterday ....(Amsoil / Schaeffer /Red Line) are MS-6395 compliant in 5w20
The Mobil-1 EP in 5w20 meets the strictest gasoline specs of GM dexos1:GEN2 Licensed, yet No MOPAR approvals are listed at Mobil's website. That's bizarre.

So no MOPAR engine using 5w20 should use Mobil-1 EP?. Is that because Exxon-Mobil refused to pay a king's ransom for the official MOPAR approval rating? ..........Sounds like it to me. We've seen this happen before in the industry.
Mobil-1 EP is a much better oil than some on the MOPAR Approval list and already has passed the strictest spec...... Dexos..

I just saw the late John D. Rockefeller punch the late Sergio Marchionne in the nose.
See, even Nirvana has a occasional fistfight.
23.gif

Baloney

Mobil didn't pursue any of the FCA approvals for their Mobil 1 product line after they had their factory and service fill contract pulled out from beneath them when FIAT bought Chrysler and FIAT already had a contract with SOPUS.

Originally Posted by CT8
What exactly does the owners manual say ?.

I posted it verbatim from the online version, which is exactly the same as the hard copy I received with my truck.

Thanks for updating this..... and quickly too.
thumbsup2.gif

Let me give an update too: Sergio has two Kleenex stuffed up his nose, to stop the blood.

When did he do that? He has been dead for a while now.

Be glad you're in CA.
Around here in the Great Lakes those Rams rust like a 71 Vega and you wouldn't have to worry about the engine life being the limiting factor.

Originally Posted by Rand
Have you considered starting a "my new truck thread" instead of 12 separate threads?

I did, but I thought it would be more appropriate to start/discuss topics in the most relevant section.

Baloney

Maybe Schaeffer's, but I am skeptical about Amsoil/Redline. Those two have historically been very reluctant to submit for formal approval for any OEM spec. However, is MS-6395 a self-certifying spec, or is there actually an approval list somewhere? I did some searching and was unable to find a formal list of approved oils.

I self certified the M1 T&S for my new Jeep ...

Will trust Dexos stamp for the testing part ...

I love M1EP so much that I am going to convince my dad to sell his Hemi Ram to show my loyalty to Exxon Mobil!

Originally Posted by nascarnation
Be glad you're in CA.
Around here in the Great Lakes those Rams rust like a 71 Vega and you wouldn't have to worry about the engine life being the limiting factor.

Rust Check or Krown prevents that.

Frequent underbody and fender well washings also helps. Either every week and a half or when the temp starts to rise above freezing as stated in the owners manual.

I too just purchased a 2019 Ram with the 5.7 Hemi but am leaning toward using Valvoline. I'm surprised the new Valvoline Advanced Synthetic doesn't get noticed much around here.. Based on the VOAs attached, it looks to have almost as much Moly as PP and then outshines it in every other additive (Zinc, Boron, Titanium etc). Although these were for 5w30, I can't imagine it'd be too far off from the 5w20 formulation.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JLaw297
I too just purchased a 2019 Ram with the 5.7 Hemi but am leaning toward using Valvoline. I'm surprised the new Valvoline Advanced Synthetic doesn't get noticed much around here.. Based on the VOAs attached, it looks to have almost as much Moly as PP and then outshines it in every other additive (Zinc, Boron, Titanium etc). Although these were for 5w30, I can't imagine it'd be too far off from the 5w20 formulation.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5w20 is actually better. I don't know if the formulation has changed much with API SP and GF6 standards but the SN PLUS variation of this oil had a 7.6 NOACK value which among 20 weight oils is only matched by Ravenol.

Personally I am of the opinion that NOACK calculation has changed with SP and GF6 and there may be little (or even perhaps nothing) that has changed with this specific oil's formulation. In my mind it is unequivocally the best 20 weight oil available for the price.

Back