2020 F150 3.5EB First oil change.. pick my oil

M1, 5W-30 EP. 5000 mile/8000km oil changes.

Reasoning: It's HTHS is good at (by memory 3.1) , it's 100c viscosity is really good, it's inexpensive and it's available anywhere you might go.

Last edited:
I have a 2020 2.7 and have decided to go with QSUD 5W-30 as it is only one that I have been able to determine has a low MRV and -30C viscosity for a 5W and a high 100C viscosity for a 30 weight. I don't know its HTHS rating, but that can be overcome by more frequent oil changes, if I understand it correctly. (Admittedly I may not.) I'm in a cold winter environment and cold-pumping ability (even for a 5W) is important to me. If I could find a 0W-30 that met Fords specs I would use it, but I have not been able to find one. I'll change oil every 5k miles or six months, spring and fall. I may use a different oil than QSUD in the summer when I will work the engine harder, but I have yet to determine what it will be. Still on the factory oil.

I have a brand new 2020 F150 Lariat Supercrew 3.5EB. As soon as i picked her up, i leveled it with Bilstein 5100s added Fuel Blitz wheels and 285 60 20 K02s....

On all my vehicles that i buy new, i am one that likes to dump the factory fill... I do it at just over 2000kms. Have had never any problems. My S2000, known for burning oil when driven hard, doesn't burn anything and my previous 2018 3.5EB F150'S UOAs were excellent.

So now the fun part of picking a new oil for a new engine. I will run this until my OLM reaches 40%... then all the rest of my subsequent oil changes will remain at 40%
Currently on my shelf
PPUP 5W30
QSUD 5W30
M1 AFE 0W30
Shell Gas Truck 5W30

Now to add to the mix, I really like 5 Star tunes, my 2018 was tuned from new all the way to when i traded in at 60,000kms... it was bulletproof and flawless.

this truck will be tuned soon, it Currently has 1000kms and i will flash the tune after this next oil change... i will still however drive conservatively until about 5000kms or so...

So... pick the oil from my list for its 2000kms oil change... Im in Toronto.... its summer now, i will guess it will stay in the sump until mid winter...let me know which oil why... 👌👍😁

View attachment 26057
Why not use what you ran in the 2018 EB?

Thanks everyone!

Update: i changed out the FF just after 2000kms to QSUD 5W30 and a week later got my tune files from 5 Star... i ran a data log so i can send it to them to confirm if sny adjustments to the tune was needed. Anyways kinda off topic, but this is how incredible their tune is... its their 91 Performance Tune. The engine and trans are optimized. Turbos spool up to 21psi, and the data log shows it reaches full boost in 1.2s..this is from a standstill then WOT... i hit 60mph in 5.0s...thats with the heavy 33.5 tires and wheels...

other than the acceleration, what i really love is the normal driving character... upshifts occur between 2000-2500rpms, no more engine lugging, no more skip upshifts, disabled my engine start/stop..it overall feels so lively....

then when you drive in Eco mode, the factory Eco program is retained, dumbing down the throttle, forced upshifts, very little to no boost...

Overall drivability is incredible over stock.... I highly recommend 5 star tuning.... they do a wide variety of brands

thought i share!

cheers

Looks like you are here mainly to show off your new truck that replaced your other new truck for some reason :)

I was interested to hear abut the 5 start tune - sounds like they got their stuff together. FActory never seems to get it just right - like they are pushed for time, and then the smog and fuel mileage concerns.

As far as oil goes, I wouldn't go near the AFE.
The Best "Fake" synthetic I ran this past decade was the new Valvoline Advanced Engine when it just came out two years ago. Formulations are changing by then minute, so I don't know what the darling is this week. I tried the the new Shell rotella "gas truck" oil in the Subaru in 5W20 form and The Subaru doesn't like it. Too Gummy gooey - not super slickery. I'm starting to think that 2 litre really wants weasel-wee in there. The Valvoline Advanced provided more power on the 2 engines I tried it on - like the engine was lubed with liquid mercury! And I was NEVER, EVER a fan of Valvoline Synpower in the past in Xw30 grade. When their 0W20 came out years ago that was good juice.

Enjoy that Cola can on wheels!

M1, 5W-30 EP. 5000 mile/8000km oil changes.

Reasoning: It's HTHS is good at (by memory 3.1) , it's 100c viscosity is really good, it's inexpensive and it's available anywhere you might go.

Not to mention 10 qt (2 x 5 qt) for $24.74 after $24 Rebate at Walmart.

RGT if you can find an AAP that still has it for $10.49 per 5 qt & 2.49 a qt is a good deal also.

I'm fond of Castrol Edge just because it seems to be more resistant to shearing in the 3.5EB than any other GF-5 but I never get a deal on it.

Not to mention 10 qt (2 x 5 qt) for $24.74 after $24 Rebate at Walmart.

RGT if you can find an AAP that still has it for $10.49 per 5 qt & 2.49 a qt is a good deal also.

I'm fond of Castrol Edge just because it seems to be more resistant to shearing in the 3.5EB than any other GF-5 but I never get a deal on it.
I'm a fan of Magnatec 5W-30 in warmer weather (QSUD in the winter). Its HTHS is 3.15, which is good.

I've always wondered what the HTHS of Edge 5W-30 is. Anybody know? Note: I reviewed the Edge 5W-30 slick sheet (May, 2016). It's HTHS is 3.04. It's not quite as good as I thought. Another note: Castrol's Dexos2-rated Edge 5W-30 C3 is rated SN and has an HTHS of 3.5.

Edge 10W-30 is 3.2. Better... though it should be.

Last edited:
Edge 0w40 in mine year round in Alberta. Tow 7000lb+ through the Rockies often. It doesn’t seem to have LSPI issues as an A3/B4 oil.

I'd run Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 if it were mine.

It doesn't make the SN+ requirement for the 2020 Warranty. The Edge is the most shear stable I've found (appears better than Magnatec) that is SN+ GF-5. The EP doesn't seem to gain anything in that department.

I think a 504/507 rated oil could be a good thing once past warranty in these engines especially if you could find one with an under 1300 ppm calcium level.

It doesn't make the SN+ requirement for the 2020 Warranty. The Edge is the most shear stable I've found (appears better than Magnatec) that is SN+ GF-5. The EP doesn't seem to gain anything in that department.

I think a 504/507 rated oil could be a good thing once past warranty in these engines especially if you could find one with an under 1300 ppm calcium level.
All good points. I have a certain bias for the product. IMO and a few members I highly respect, ESP is the best of the XOM offerings. As always if you have any warranty concerns, follow the book. I tried earlier to edit my post to make that last point, but the site still doesn't allow it after a certain period of time.

All good points. I have a certain bias for the product. IMO and a few members I highly respect, ESP is the best of the XOM offerings. As always if you have any warranty concerns, follow the book. I tried earlier to edit my post to make that last point, but the site still doesn't allow it after a certain period of time.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your opinion of ESP. I think it's an excellent oil and would likely work well in these engines. I haven't seen any reports that it seems to be responsible for LSPI events but simply wanted to point out a couple of potential considerations.

I'm simply unwilling at this time to go completely off the reservation with oils that don't meet Ford requirements under warranty because I'm.still not sure how much of the issues with Gen 1 Timing Chains were oil vs design and quality control. The Gen 2 has shorter chains, improved metallurgy, thicker plates, reduced soot loading and fuel dilution. The only issues I've seen so far are some bad phasers which I don't believe are oil related. We are still early in the game however.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your opinion of ESP. I think it's an excellent oil and would likely work well in these engines. I haven't seen any reports that it seems to be responsible for LSPI events but simply wanted to point out a couple of potential considerations.

I'm simply unwilling at this time to go completely off the reservation with oils that don't meet Ford requirements under warranty because I'm.still not sure how much of the issues with Gen 1 Timing Chains were oil vs design and quality control. The Gen 2 has shorter chains, improved metallurgy, thicker plates, reduced soot loading and fuel dilution. The only issues I've seen so far are some bad phasers which I don't believe are oil related. We are still early in the game however.
I can't say I blame you. I'm running it in two of my three vehicles and have no doubt it is superior to my prior oil selection. Having said that I have no warranty concerns. Your choice was a wise one for that vehicle under warranty!

I have run all those oils in my 2015 2.7 and can't tell a dimes worth of difference. I do lowest price and rebates. Oil is oil at any given price point.

I look at the high mile ecoboost posts on Ford websites and there seems to be no magic oils.

I look at the high mile ecoboost posts on Ford websites and there seems to be no magic oils.

Also doesn't seem to be a magic OCI either.
The two highest mileage 3.5EB Gen 1 I know of on original turbos and timing chains run whatever the oil change special is at 7,000 mi and MC Blend at 10,000 mi. Experiments I have followed also seem to point to the EB maxing out fuel within a 1,000 mi so early changes don't actually seen to help with dilution.

Overextended OCI could definitely cause issues. I'm not so sure cutting them actually helps.

Back