2019 KIA Soul Plus Edition

Hi there

I was wondering what's the community's take on 2019 Kia Soul, specifically Plus edition around 26K miles on it; the good, the bad, and all in between, so how long we can expect to last.

I'm asking for my female coworker; She got involved in crash recently and one of the cars on her list as a replacement is this KIA

All constructive feedback needed!

I haven't owned one. But both professional and consumer reviews I've read are for the most part always positive. I'd like to own one eventually actually. Just remember that the second owner of a Kia is only given 5 year 60k miles of warranty.

Pretty much every person I've met that owns a Soul loves it. Decent ride, very practical, good on gas, and pretty reliable. Honestly, I couldn't get over the looks, but if she likes it, then there are definitely worse cars she could pick.

With my previous Hyundai/Kia's, I would just avoid the brand.

If buying one, I would only recommend a new Kia/Hyundai with the factory warranty.

They're apparently tough as nails, as my female co-worker has had one for years and it's yet to fail her, despite her sketchy idea of maintenance. My chief complaint with them is lack of sound insulation. Road & engine noise are excessive, so test drive it thoroughly.

We had an older model a 2012. The fuel rail went out at 59,000 miles. Warranty covered it and got rid of it at around 85k miles. No issues other than that. Drove from OR to FL. No problems going 90 mph through TX.

Two problems--Kia still a bit weak with dealers, I stay away. Several Facebook sites full of eighteen year old girls that name their cars BUT DON'T KNOW WHAT A DIPSTICK IS! See my "What's the teapot light do?" thread. D*#n kids, get off my porch.

Reactions: JC1
A few notes of interest from Consumers Reports. In their video regarding the 2019, the test driver says the 2.0L engine is just adequate, so the 1.6L probably feels like a slug. Also, noted in the written portion to subscribers is the ride is stiff and jiggly, which can become fatiguing on a long ride.

There are FOUR different transmissions in the 2019 Kia Soul.

A CVT, A 7 speed dual clutch automatic, a 6 speed automatic and a 6 speed manual.

I don't have a soul, but I have a Forte. Same engine, the 2.0 Nu. It's got adequate power, and the oil changes are very easy. The 6 speed manual is the same in both, and actually better than I expected it to be when I comes to shifting. The clutch is dual mass, which is easier not to stall, but not as "tactile" as a regular flywheel. Hope that helps.

My daughter has the 2020 Soul Turbo and she drives the heck out of it, the first month she had it they had to replace the turbo but it's been trouble free ever since. (y)

my co-worker, she is downsizing from '17 Pilot Elite to Soul after she was involved in accident; yesterday she was contacted, finally after 2 weeks, by her insurance adjuster and he said that the damage was not so severe and that she might be getting her original car back again; she told me she was paying about $750 a month and now she was looking something for about $300 a month;

I was curious and I asked her wasn't she happy that her Pilot could be back on the road again, she said not so much... so go figure

my co-worker, she is downsizing from '17 Pilot Elite to Soul after she was involved in accident; yesterday she was contacted, finally after 2 weeks, by her insurance adjuster and he said that the damage was not so severe and that she might be getting her original car back again; she told me she was paying about $750 a month and now she was looking something for about $300 a month;

I was curious and I asked her wasn't she happy that her Pilot could be back on the road again, she said not so much... so go figure
That's rough, because the accident definitely hurt the trade-in of the car should she get it back and want out. That said, I do have to wonder why she needed a Pilot Elite in the first place, since she's wanting to downsize to a Soul.

That's rough, because the accident definitely hurt the trade-in of the car should she get it back and want out. That said, I do have to wonder why she needed a Pilot Elite in the first place, since she's wanting to downsize to a Soul.
I do not know all the details honestly, some don't ask do not tell policy on my side; but from what I gathered, the car seem to be over the budget, she even considers '19 Elantra; she is married with a 18 months old son, her husband and she, none of them is mechanically inclined, and she tends to change cars often; I assume she rolls in negative equity from one to another; it amazes me, we both work in banking industry that she makes poor choices; IDK

it remains to be seen...

I haven't owned one. But both professional and consumer reviews I've read are for the most part always positive. I'd like to own one eventually actually. Just remember that the second owner of a Kia is only given 5 year 60k miles of warranty.
Unless you buy a CPO one, then you get the full 10 year/100,000 mile.
My mom got a 2018 Soul+ CPO and loves it.
Have not done a thing to it except change the oil and wash it in almost 2 years of her driving it (although only ~7,000 miles put on it since she bought it).

I find the 2.0/6 speed automatic to be a decent combo for what it is.
She gets around 32mpg, even with her mostly around town driving.

full-4879-35056-2019_08_05_16.27.27.jpg

full-4879-35058-2019_08_05_16.27.39.jpg

full-4879-35057-2019_08_05_16.27.50.jpg

And yes, it is funny seeing a 79 year old getting out of a bright red little car. She says she never has a problem finding her car.
2.JPG

Last edited:
Unless you buy a CPO one, then you get the full 10 year/100,000 mile.
My mom got a 2018 Soul+ CPO and loves it.
Have not done a thing to it except change the oil and wash it in almost 2 years of her driving it (although only ~7,000 miles put on it since she bought it).

I find the 2.0/6 speed automatic to be a decent combo for what it is.
She gets around 32mpg, even with her mostly around town driving.

full-4879-35056-2019_08_05_16.27.27.jpg

full-4879-35058-2019_08_05_16.27.39.jpg

full-4879-35057-2019_08_05_16.27.50.jpg

And yes, it is funny seeing a 79 year old getting out of a bright red little car. She says she never has a problem finding her car.
View attachment 41147
Awwwwwww, God love her!!!!

A few notes of interest from Consumers Reports. In their video regarding the 2019, the test driver says the 2.0L engine is just adequate, so the 1.6L probably feels like a slug. Also, noted in the written portion to subscribers is the ride is stiff and jiggly, which can become fatiguing on a long ride.

There are FOUR different transmissions in the 2019 Kia Soul.

A CVT, A 7 speed dual clutch automatic, a 6 speed automatic and a 6 speed manual.
I would choose the 6 speed manual.

Standard H-pattern 6 speed like a Lamborghini Murcielago?

Back