2019 Ford Ranger towing specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh, towing a heavy load with a high-powered turbo gas engine just doesn't seem right. I wonder what trick(s) they've done to help longevity in that scenario.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
Yeh, towing a heavy load with a high-powered turbo gas engine just doesn't seem right. I wonder what trick(s) they've done to help longevity in that scenario.

Keeping it cool, especially the oil, and programming the transmission to downshift to get the revs up instead of lugging. If the cooling system can handle it, the engine will happily sit at 4k and high boost all day. Other advantage is how the turbo compensates partially for altitude and doesn't loose nearly as much power when the air is thin.

I live on 5 acre's and really need a truck. I recently test drove a new Ram, F150 and a Chevy Silverado. I'm waiting on the 2019 Ranger to come out.
The 2.3L looks to make a little more torque and at a broader, more usable RPM range than the 3.3 V6 would. But I do realize the 3.3 V6 would most likely be more reliable
in the long run.

Ford is only offering the truck in the U.S. as an extended cab with a 6' bed or a crew cab with a 5' bed. My wife and I have no kids, so I want a 4X4 with the 6' bed.

My issue is that you can buy a new F150 deeply discounted off the sticker. I'm guessing the Ranger will sell at sticker price at launch, making it cost more than a new F150.

If you are interested in the mid-size trucks I'd take a look at the Nissan Frontier. Tow capacity is good, the 4.0 V-6 makes good power and torque, and you can usually get them at a pretty competitive price. They get a bad rap for being outdated but in my opinion I'd rather have a tried and true platform than a brand new first year model.

I bought a new 4WD Chevy just 3 weeks ago after first looking at some F150's with the DI/PI engine (no turbos) … they had some good prices but almost all of the deals on 4WD had NO locker in the rear …
Watch out for that …

Yep … happy to stay with my Eaton and non electric (in both my GM's) … was it you that posted a demo on the G80 a while back ?

I think so, a while ago. I'm not the hugest G80 fan, but in the context of OEM options, it is great. I feel that Torsens have the edge on control when in operation, but G80 gives you a real lock straight off.

Torsens are lazy until the wheels are already going pretty good. Until you get the wheels really spinning, it's pretty much an open diff. Have Torsen in my Ram and plenty of G80's in my vans, so I experience both frequently enough. I would definitely rather have either one than open.

My short list . Colorado with 2.5 I4, Nissan with 4.0 V6, Ranger XL.All will be the extended cab, long bed and on the not the fancy side.
If I had to buy today it would be the Colorado followed by the Frontier. I will not rule out the Ranger but too many unknown about the truck.
I would like to wait for the 2020 model year if I can. Ranger would be cheaper and have a year out. Then the Frontier will have its new model out by then, maybe. How simple the truck is, MPG and truck price will be my 3 main selling points.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
4WD with no locker? Gross. Nothing worse than having one-tire-fire going on at both ends of the truck.

Pretty sure the FX4 will have the rear locker. And for sure the Raptor variant will.

That is a healthy tow rating. Good power output too, 270hp /310tq. Its really a shame they didn't offer the 2.7 ecoboost in the Ranger. But I guess we always want what we can't have.

Originally Posted by MrMoody

Probably the standard stuff they've been doing with the Ecoboost 3.5 in the F150 since 2011 and the Ecoboost 2.7 in 2015. We tow heavy (9900 GVWR camper) with an F150 and it does great. Just rolled 90k the other week. Only longevity issue is it does like new plugs every 40k or so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back