2019 4Runner TRD Off Road

5405D504-33CA-4D3E-B827-F2E7C9389695.png

This is my 2nd oil change PUP 5w-30 (what I had around) with Fram Tough Guard taken off. PP 0w-20 with Fram Ultra put on. Very little off road if any since I have had it for 10,000miles. DD for myself 36 mile round trip along 5 days a week with some 3-4hr trips outside the city. No aftermarket parts aka suspension or engine mods. This was a rental I bought as a CPO at a Toyota Dealership June 2020.

Oil looks weak, frail compared to the competition, I'd only use it if it was free or next to free...get stuck, high stress, heat it up good and that oil's on the edge of breaking...fine for short OCI's and mall duty.

Oil looks weak, frail compared to the competition, I'd only use it if it was free or next to free...get stuck, high stress, heat it up good and that oil's on the edge of breaking...fine for short OCI's and mall duty.
I trust you’re being sarcastic 👍

Low viscosity (W20) low Ca. low zinc, low Ph. probably mid to low SAPS why bother in a truck that does 17 MPG.? trying for 17.15 MPG.?

Put that T4R in a steaming mud hole, ditch or snow bank where your winching and fighting for inches and you will find the ILSAC CAFE motor oil won't cut it without serious risk to the engine so why use it?

and Brolly bring your unit here in -14F and that 19 mpg will get reduced, promise...why don't you display your location instead of 'No Where'

Because I’m not putting it in those situations. I’m not ready for that yet. I have been a diehard Pennzoil fan for years so I stick with what I like sure it’s over kill but that’s what I had in stock in the garage. Was going to use it in the 2.0T Accord but then sold it. So that’s that. If it was your truck what would you suggest for a brand etc. this is a forum for discussion and I’m willing to hear you out.
Central Oklahoma.

For the same money try a OCI...and you have a very capable unit that can really get you in deep but under stress they all need proper lube to get out.

M1 0/40 VOA

Geez that’s pretty dang stout. Thanks for the heads up on that oil. Will try that next time around for sure. Thanks for the tip on the straps and such. I’m slowly building my off road capabilities that’s why I’m not truly off roading yet. Want to be as ready as I can be.

I know I'm not nuts off road either but when your out there you need a plan, much better than no plan. anyway, that box goes into a atv cargo box or other T4R 123 so it's versatile.

Agreed I have the Rago Molle panels I could put most of those on. What’s your thought on bungee tow straps?

no Rago stuff, gets to bumpy I go slow...Straps have to work in your terrain..I got stuck in a swamp once had to string out straps around a big clump of bushes and that got me out after I had uprooted 3-4 pine trees. I'd think bungee would stretch making it more difficult to winch.

Back