2019 4Runner TRD Off Road

Curious about your low viscosity. My Tacoma has run that exact same oil in what is basically the same engine for 5k OCIs and never been lower than 9.5 cSt.

Did you use API SP version of PUP? Calcium at ~900 is low. My last UOA showed PUP calcium at ~2400 and would have been API SN I believe.

Brolly your UOA was good I'm just say'n for the same money you know.
No worries dblshock. This is the only place I come to put this information up so I can get opinions from others that really enjoy oil as much as I do. It shows that something that worked for one car may not work for the other. I wouldn’t have thought differently and continued with the current course but now have some information to push forward with a new plan. I probably won’t leave this current oil in as long and stock up on the Mobil 1 0w-40 for the next round. I appreciate your thoughts for helping me try to make this car last as long as possible. No hard feelings here.

Curious about your low viscosity. My Tacoma has run that exact same oil in what is basically the same engine for 5k OCIs and never been lower than 9.5 cSt.

Did you use API SP version of PUP? Calcium at ~900 is low. My last UOA showed PUP calcium at ~2400 and would have been API SN I believe.
More than likely because at the time of purchasing my thoughts were for the 2.0T Accord and helping with limiting LSPI and fuel dilution. I’m now questioning PUP vs PP. My report on PPHM for my 08 Accord looks a lot like this PUP. Once I’m settled in this am I will pull my other past Pennzoil UOA. But here is my last 08 Accord PPHM
9D92DE50-5F6A-4BED-8EAE-1F7FBA6C774F.jpg

Last edited:
Looks nearly identical to my Van with 5w30 supertech with the same exact amount of miles...
1613155092103.jpg

I’m also a bit surprised to see low viscosity with the PUP 5W-30.

True, the PPPP & PUP 30W oils do tend to start out on the thinner side, compared with their main competition (M1).

But you shouldn’t have had a lot of fuel dilution with this being a port-injected engine, and being in OK, and it sounds like you get your oil up to full ops temp every day.

I also have a T4R that has almost 3000 miles now, and will probably use some M1-AP 5W-30 that I got during the AZ clearance late last yr for $2/qt.

But, though I’ve always used M1-EP 5/10W-30 in my 07 Tacoma, I’m not married to that particular oil on this T4R.

Lately I’ve been intrigued by oils with very low amounts of viscosity modifier (VM) that use very high quality, thick base oils with naturally high viscosity index (VI).

One that comes to mind that is commonly available is Valvoline Advanced 5W-30. Its KV100 viscosity is 10.2, so, lower than PUP 5W-30, but still achieves a higher HTHS rating (3.2) than the PUP (3), despite the much lower VM content (an estimated 2.28% vs. 6.77% with the PUP). This Indicates that the VAS has a thicker, higher quality base oil, rather than starting out with a thinner base oil and then relying on VM additives to thicken it up at ops temp.

The advantages to that are (1) less shearing potential over the course of an OCI, and, (2) a potentially cleaner engine over time (VM polymers can cause deposits in high-heat areas such as piston ring lands).

I plan to try out some different oils on the wife’s new T4R, and get some UOAs, including the VAS 5W-30.

Thanks for posting the UOA!

All that said, if you wanted to stick with Pennzoil, I actually think the Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30 (that grade, specifically) would do you a better UOA in this than the PUP 5W-30.

The A_Harmann index estimates VM content of PPPP 10W-30 to be pretty low, at 2.65%, and decent HTHS, at 3.15%.

This oil has also, historically, been known to have very low Noack (though this oil has been reformulated in the last couple of years and we don’t have the current Noack %).

I used this oil in my 2016 WRX, a fuel-diluting, TGDI boxer engine, with good results.

I’ll probably also give it a try in the 4Runner.

If it recommends 0w20 and owner used a 5w30 that sheared into a 20 grade, nothing to worry about.

I'd stick with the 30 grade in Toyotas and
Hopefully Pennzoil notices these UOAs with the drop in grade and addresses their oil formulas.

I believe his comment was directed at the fact that the PP 5w-30 fell out of grade. Falling out of grade could constitute a risk of engine damage couldn't it?
I thought he was talking about 0w20 not being able to protect under those conditions. :unsure:

If it recommends 0w20 and owner used a 5w30 that sheared into a 20 grade, nothing to worry about.

I'd stick with the 30 grade in Toyotas and
Hopefully Pennzoil notices these UOAs with the drop in grade and addresses their oil formulas.
Not super surprising. PUP is usually on the thin side of it's labeled grade to begin with.

I thought he was talking about 0w20 not being able to protect under those conditions. :unsure:
Perhaps? He might need to clarify. However since the 5w-30 sheared down to a 20 weight I think logically he is technically talking about both 20 weights not being able to protect under severe conditions.

As someone pointed out, these engines are specd up to 20w-50 by Toyota in other parts of the world. I always ask myself, now why would Toyota do that?

As someone pointed out, these engines are specd up to 20w-50 by Toyota in other parts of the world. I always ask myself, now why would Toyota do that?
Maybe because in another part of the US owner's manual it says to choose oil based on expected temperatures.... and because here in CAFE land the engineers are not allowed to put in a temperature chart.

Maybe because in another part of the US owner's manual it says to choose oil based on expected temperatures.... and because here in CAFE land the engineers are not allowed to put in a temperature chart.
Precisely my point.

If temperature/severity of service oil grade charts used to be recommended by manufacturers in the US, and are still in use in other parts of the world with the exact same engine... how could CAFE be anything else than nonsense. (rhetorical)

Back