2018 Ford 3.5L Cyclone v-6 30k miles; blend of RGT and QSFS 5w-20 5k miles

My 2018 Taurus 3.5L has an usually high level of fuel dilution. Don't know why. Driving habits haven't changed. Used 4 qrts RGT 2 Qrts of QS FS 0w20. The only thing I changed is I've been using non ethonol fuel these last 4 tanks. Anyone else experimec this. Oil going back in is 5w20 RGT with champion filter.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220515-100725_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    Screenshot_20220515-100725_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 138
Run a scan to check the sensors, fuel and spark or some injector cleaner and see what the next uoa shows. Emissions warranty? call the dealer being a 2018 year model?

Yes, and your fuel dilution is really significantly higher, because: Blackstone.

I don't think you are at seriously high risk, but I'd do another sample (I'd also use Wearcheck/OAI for GC fuel) and see if this trend continues, because if it does, then I'm in agreement with wpod, you are going to want to start a case with your dealer.

not really that bad, coming off of the winter months, (well, in SC) but could be a part of it. I do not believe the ethanol free fuel has any bearing on it. Remember, one UOA does not anything make, need a trend to be able to see a problem. Previous UOA fine, one abnormal could be many causes, wait and look at the next one.

Silicon is really, really high - is a clogged air filter blocking the air intake and causing the vehicle to run richer than usual?
Even with high fuel and Si, wear is really low, so it’s not causing a problem yet.

Silicon is really, really high - is a clogged air filter blocking the air intake and causing the vehicle to run richer than usual?
Even with high fuel and Si, wear is really low, so it’s not causing a problem yet.
Filter was replaces 2 changes ago. I looked at it and it looks fine. I think it's silicon residue from the timing cover seal repair.

Agree with others ...
Blackstone fuel numbers are, well, not as accurate as they could be.
Wear numbers are fine.
Si is odd; see if you can find the source.

Agree with others ...
Blackstone fuel numbers are, well, not as accurate as they could be.
Wear numbers are fine.
Si is odd; see if you can find the source.
I'm pretty sure it's from that timing cover seal replacement. The whole cover is glued on by silicon.

I went back and looked at my UOA at 35k miles; my Si was also 38ppm, but that was over 12k miles. Yours is a bit higher, but probably not anything to worry about at this point. As long as your Fe wear rate is low, it's a non-issue.

I would encourage you to extend the OCI; this engine is known to be very easy on oil. I ran almost 12k miles on my OCI and still got excellent results ... on dino ST 5w-20!

I went back and looked at my UOA at 35k miles; my Si was also 38ppm, but that was over 12k miles. Yours is a bit higher, but probably not anything to worry about at this point. As long as your Fe wear rate is low, it's a non-issue.

I would encourage you to extend the OCI; this engine is known to be very easy on oil. I ran almost 12k miles on my OCI and still got excellent results ... on dino ST 5w-20!
Reason I go to 5k is because my TBN suggested I stay thar way, however this last sample had plenty of life left.

Fuel injectors have been failing left and right on our police 3.7L explorers. Some have even taken out engines. I would check to see if one is leaking. You could try checking fuel trims. If not, pull the upper plenum and cycle the key on and off with removing and reinserting the key. I have found many this way.

Last edited:
Fuel injectors have been failing left and right on our police 3.7L explorers. Some have even taken out engines. I would check to see if one is leaking. You could try checking fuel trims. If not, pull the upper plenum and cycle the key on and off with removing and reinserting the key. I have found many this way.
But shouldn't I notice it running rich or something? Car runs fine and mpg is good. Almost 30mpg which is great for this car. On e10 fuel it got about 24. Even though nonE cost more I feel that extra distance makes up for it or at least breaks even.

It’s worth checking. Some times they can leak when off. Some times it’s subtle, and some times it’s not.

Back