2017 4Runner 50k ATF change. Toyota WS or Maxlife?

Hey everyone i wanted to get some opinions on atf.
I have a 2017 TRDP 4R and am about at 50k miles with no towing or being hard on the truck at all. i would like to do a few drain and fills on this trans but wanted to know if there is any reason to go with the Toyota WS fluid over Maxlife ATF. Car is out of warranty but by what I've read ws fluid is not synthetic and tends to break down faster and thought maxlife would be a good replacement. Let me know your opinons. thanks
The 4 runner has a fill for life transmission no need to change save your money . But if you service it use OEM fluid only 😎

Ps . Maxlife has gotten good reviews here BTw 🫣🫣

The OEM vs Aftermarket compatible fluid folks are split down the middle as per usual.

Only thing I can add is my personal experience on all my Hyundai/KIA vehicles. I do a drain and fill every 30K with Maxlife and, knock on wood, never had a transmission issue. Santa Fe was totaled at 168K and it ran / shifted great. The 2014 KIA Rio has 132K on it and it shifts fine, no issues. Our 2019 Tucson, just purchased a couple months ago, will get the first drain/fill with Maxlife this upcoming oil change (38K.)

OP: Interested to see which way you went. I have three Toyotas and I have been using Amsoil OE Transmission fluid in them, multiple services.

I have read a good many people are using Valvoline Max Life. As another member said, Ravenol has a product that I would trust also. I'm using Ravenol gear oil in my transfer cases.

While I used to buy nothing but Honda OE trans fluid, I'm tired of chasing down MFG proprietary fluids/etc when they didn't make the stuff to begin with. I'm using Idemitsu transmission fluid in my Daughter's Honda CR-V, many believe this is who makes Honda ATF. I'm also using LubeGuard power steering fluid for the Honda.

I have used Eneos import atf model T-W for the last 4 drain and fills in my GX470 and have had great results. This included towing a 4000lb uhaul trailer from CA to WA and back.

Its supposedly synthetic and is made specifically to meet the WS specification. If you keep an eye on ebay/amazon you can usually snag a 12x1qt pack for ~$5-7 per qt.

Toyota WS is synthetic technology (or synthetic depending on who's marketing you're going with), as it's Group III, Hydrocracked distillates.

Motul claims their ATF VI is synthetic, even though there is no Group IV basestock in it, all Hydrotreated petroleum Group III.

Toyota WS or if you are lucky, you can source the fully synthetic Aisin AFW+ WS compatible oil, its available in middle east or SE Asia. I change mine every 50k and use a Hayden 679 cooler and Magnefine filter inline.

If compatible w the Maxlife i would run it, as I run it in all the vehicles I service, they run fine and shift smooth. I drain and fill everything at 30k miles weather needed or not to me it is just cheap insurance. Now in my Honda's I use oem fluids though.

Last edited:
If compatible w the Maxlife i would run it, as I run it in all the vehicles I service, they run fine and shift smooth. I drain and fill everything at 30k miles weather needed or not to me it is just cheap insurance. Now in my Honda's I use oem fluids though.
Honda ATF has too much friction modifier in it. That's why the drain plug has so much metal shavings. Switch to Redline and you'll find barely any shavings on it.

I use MaxLife on my F150 and the Kia/Hyundai transmissions too. I have nothing but good experiences with it but that is limited to a handful of vehicles. I do know of one Toyota tech who swears by it for Toyotas too but that is one person.
I think it is always safest to stick with the OEM fluid but MaxLife is one general-purpose product that has a great track record.

221k miles on my 07 FJ Cruiser that has been my daily driver since 2009. have been using Amsoil Signature ATL with 50k mile drains for 200k miles. I also run a remote spin-on filter and replace it every yr or 2.

221k miles on my 07 FJ Cruiser that has been my daily driver since 2009. have been using Amsoil Signature ATL with 50k mile drains for 200k miles. I also run a remote spin-on filter and replace it every yr or 2.
you have a link to the parts needed for the added spin on filter? im interested in seeing what's involved

More anecdotal info from my 4runner...
I took a trip to the mountains yesterday/ today and brought along my OBDII to monitor trans temps since I would be pretty well loaded.

Ambient Temps were in 70/80s. I had 4 adults, 2 canoes on the rack, and a mess of camping/fishing gear. I had quite a bit of hard shifting on long and short grades. The highest pan temp I had was 186F. At highway speeds, it locks in at 159-162F. I think these trannys are pretty easy on whatever fluid you use. Maxlife seems to be working well for me.

Take it a step further and add a filter mag to the filter. I had one on a 2002 Tacoma and it pulled a lot of clutch material.

I use MaxLife on my F150 and the Kia/Hyundai transmissions too. I have nothing but good experiences with it but that is limited to a handful of vehicles. I do know of one Toyota tech who swears by it for Toyotas too but that is one person.
I think it is always safest to stick with the OEM fluid but MaxLife is one general-purpose product that has a great track record.
And maxlife is priced good. Since it's inexpensive, just change more often

It's like $4 more per quart for the WS versus the Maxlife atf.

Heck I paid $9.92 a qt for Honda DW-1 today at my local Honda dealership. That is reasonable enough for me.

And I think your $10.95 is not all that bad either.

Heck Nissan CVT fluid is like $25 a quart from the Nissan dealership.

Now that's ridiculous. I went with Eneos CVT fluid and paid $12.49 a qt for that from Napa.

Back