2017 4Runner 50k ATF change. Toyota WS or Maxlife?

Hey everyone i wanted to get some opinions on atf.
I have a 2017 TRDP 4R and am about at 50k miles with no towing or being hard on the truck at all. i would like to do a few drain and fills on this trans but wanted to know if there is any reason to go with the Toyota WS fluid over Maxlife ATF. Car is out of warranty but by what I've read ws fluid is not synthetic and tends to break down faster and thought maxlife would be a good replacement. Let me know your opinons. thanks

This general topic has been beaten to death; (not chastising you)

Some people want mfg approved fluids, others are comfortable with "suitable for" fluids; I am in the latter group.

I used ML in a friends Tundra which specified Dexron III; she indicated it shifted much nicer. That being said the original fluid hadn't been changed in over maybe 150K miles.

I would not hesitate using ML in your application.

Toyota specified WS in the prius transmission which is basically a planetary gearbox; Do i think that is the best fluid they could have used. No.

Currently 40K on Amsoil SS blue cap in my 15 Tacoma that uses WS. Shifts great. Use the same ATF in my my wife’s 19 Honda Pilot.

Any LV full synthetic ATF mentioning the WS spec will work fine. And, the sooner you change it, the better.

I'd wager that it is more important to have better filtration. Not everyone wants to install an inline ATF filter. Consider it. Or, drain/refill more often. I myself would not have waited to 50k.

The Aisin, BeckArnley, and Idemitsu ATF's for WS applications are reasonably priced at Rockauto.

Maxlife is easy enough to locate locally and good to use. Just read the label because Maxlife had several different ATF products and you need the right one. https://www.valvoline.com/en/maxlife-multi-vehicle-atf/

Amsoil ATL is an excellent choice too, and Ravenol T-WS is another option.

I had an external spin-on in my 2006 tundra, tapped into the cooler lines, and I agree the filtration was excellent that way. Fluid was always cherry red and clear. (I ran amsoil, which IME seems to have a more positive shift than ML). The newer cooler arrangements are making it harder to add filtration.

Maxlife or if you want more peace of mind - Idemitsu TLS-LV, AISIN WS or even Toyota WS. I used Idemitsu TLS-LV on a UB80e 8 speed transmission in 2018+ Camry @ 55k miles. Works excellently. All will probably work fine, some fluid are better spec'ed.

Just changing the fluid early will make more of a difference than which (compatible) fluid you use.

Some will (and did) say change it sooner, but too late for that option.

On my '12 Scion xB (Toyota U241E transmission, WS spec), I did a drain and fill with Maxlife @ 30,000 miles, and then a pan drop and filter change @ 50,000 miles with Havoline Dex-VI (has "compatible with" WS on the label).
Shifting felt "crisper" after the initial drain and fill with Maxlife, noticed no difference when the Havoline was put in.
I plan on doing another drain and fill @ 80,000 miles, and will probably use Maxlife, mainly because it is not too expensive, is readily available, and works.

Hey everyone i wanted to get some opinions on atf.
I have a 2017 TRDP 4R and am about at 50k miles with no towing or being hard on the truck at all. i would like to do a few drain and fills on this trans but wanted to know if there is any reason to go with the Toyota WS fluid over Maxlife ATF. Car is out of warranty but by what I've read ws fluid is not synthetic and tends to break down faster and thought maxlife would be a good replacement. Let me know your opinons. thanks
Maxlife

Ive had Maxlife in my 2012 4runner since 50k. I have 192k now. Some light towing now and then. The highest trans temp Ive seen is 190 towing in 100 degree heat.

Ive had Maxlife in my 2012 4runner since 50k. I have 192k now. Some light towing now and then. The highest trans temp Ive seen is 190 towing in 100 degree heat.
It really is the best all around fluid. Especially in high heat situations.

I towed about 2500lb 6 hours to the beach last week with the above mentioned rig and hit 213* once when I caught a bunch of stop and go thru some construction and was shifting thru 1-2-3 alot. Otherwise, the Maxlife stayed at about 170* and would hit 180ish if I caught an uphill run and had to shift a few times. Ive run it on the beach all week in 4Lo/5th gear and tranny runs 165-175* in 100* ambient temps.

I towed about 2500lb 6 hours to the beach last week with the above mentioned rig and hit 213* once when I caught a bunch of stop and go thru some construction and was shifting thru 1-2-3 alot. Otherwise, the Maxlife stayed at about 170* and would hit 180ish if I caught an uphill run and had to shift a few times. Ive run it on the beach all week in 4Lo/5th gear and tranny runs 165-175* in 100* ambient temps.
My wife snapped a screenshot of the 4Runners temps towing trailer home from beach. 92* ambient temp, lots of stop and go between dead stop and 30 mph. Lots of 1-2 shifting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220723-112158.jpg
    Screenshot_20220723-112158.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 25
Back