2016 Colorado / Canyon 2.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

It is possible we may be replacing our GMC this year. I am looking at the 2016 Colorado / Canyon with the 2.5L engine. I cannot find any reviews online with that powertrain. They review either the 3.6L V6 or the new diesel. Those reviews are fine for fit and finish etc. but I am looking for real world information on the 2.5L engine in terms of fuel economy and power. 99.99% of the time the vehicle will be unloaded running about on city streets. On occasion, the bed might be filled with mulch / gravel etc. for landscaping purposes. Towing will be limited to a small cargo trailer once in a blue moon.

Can any 2.5L owners comment on your powertrain (like / dislike why)? Anyone else if you know a link to a 2.5L review (Edmunds, C&D, etc.) please let me know.

Thanks,

Marc

The big news for 2016 is the Diesel so that's all you will see review-wise. The 2015 model, for your purposes, will offer sufficient reviews with the 2.5.

It's a fuel economy champ but I wonder about hauling gravel with it. Also check the towing carefully, as far as I know the v6 is recommended for towing.

If your due diligence OK's that I think you should be good to go.

Even a full-size 1500 truck can't haul much gravel.

If you haul stuff with the smaller engine you can always take it easy and be extra careful. Just don't exceed the load capacity. You might find that you'll have enough power to get where you're going. You don't always need the most powerful engine for such occasional loads.

Im pretty sure the 2.5 in my 2015 is the same as the 2.5 in the canyon/Colorado. For a car its plenty powerful not sure how it would be in a truck.

Never heard anything bad about the 2.5L in terms of reliability or ability to haul. But never heard anything great about it, either. I have heard that it's going out of production, though. My suggestion is to get the diesel.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If you haul stuff with the smaller engine you can always take it easy and be extra careful. Just don't exceed the load capacity. You might find that you'll have enough power to get where you're going. You don't always need the most powerful engine for such occasional loads.

Exactly. As long as you don't over-stress anything, you'll be fine.

Originally Posted By: marc1
... I am looking at the 2016 Colorado / Canyon with the 2.5L engine. I cannot find any reviews online with that powertrain. ..

I googled it for you:
whistle.gif
56.gif

http://coloradofans.com/forums/185-2nd-g...s-opinions.html

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Never heard anything bad about the 2.5L in terms of reliability or ability to haul. But never heard anything great about it, either. I have heard that it's going out of production, though. My suggestion is to get the diesel.

The diesel only comes in the SLE and SLT packages and is near $4000 more expensive than the V6 which means it's quite a bit more than that above the 4 cylinder gasser.

Not everyone wants to spend that kind of money for a truck that is mostly going to be a daily driver...

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Originally Posted By: A_Harman

The diesel only comes in the SLE and SLT packages and is near $4000 more expensive than the V6 which means it's quite a bit more than that above the 4 cylinder gasser.

Not everyone wants to spend that kind of money for a truck that is mostly going to be a daily driver...

Yes exactly. The diesel is interesting but not at all suitable for my use and the cost delta is impossible to justify in my situation. As well, currently it is not available in the extended cab version which is the configuration I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back