2015 4cyl Camry Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: WayneandAnna
supton, do you think Toyota will fix the problem or just replace the engine?

Most likely, they will either replace the engine (Which is what you should hope for, and request) or install a new "Short block" using your existing cylinder head.

Trying to disassemble and diagnose a problem of this sort is best not left to a dealership tech......The engine should be returned to Toyota central intact, so that they can systematically assess the issue, and determine if it was a one off, or something they should worry about showing up elsewhere.

My guess is a piston (#4) somehow slipped through without a machining operation, leaving oil return holes unfinished. Or.....Oil control rings installed incorrectly.

Though it is possible (But less likely) that it could actually be a problem in the valve train.......Another reason to insist on a complete engine.

Legendary Toyota quality!!!

Seriously, Toyota's no better than GM or Ford these days.

Originally Posted By: maximus

They have slid a bit, but they would have to fall off a cliff, to wind up in the GM/Ford quality bin.

My 2014 rav4 does not burn a drop of oil through 10k+ OCI's.

Our 2008 Matrix was leaking oil when it was brand new. Toyota had to replace seals in the engine, and it has not burned a drop since. It now has 75k miles on it. They also did other stuff like replace the timing chain and water pump under warranty.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Originally Posted By: maximus

They have slid a bit, but they would have to fall off a cliff, to wind up in the GM/Ford quality bin.

It usually takes a Toyota 300,000 miles to reach the reliability standard set by a new GM or Ford.

Folks that talk badly about Toyota have likely never owned one.

Toyota will pay the dealer to replace the short block and send the bad one back for evaluation.
Today's cars are VERY complex. Even manufacturers like Toyota (who has consistently maintained among the lowest long term defect rates in the industry for several decades and has set the standard for ALL auto manufacturers in this regard) will have a few problems that fall through the cracks. That is why they provide a new car warranty and that is why their dealers have service departments. As a matter of fact, the odds are high that when you buy a new Toyota you will never have to go back to the dealer for warranty repairs. Personally, I have only had to go back to the dealer for recalls on the Toyotas that I have owned (ALL cars have recalls!).

To the OP:

How long had the engine been off when you checked the oil?

My girlfriend had a Chevy Cobalt and that had to be the SLOWEST draining engin ever. After shutting the car off the dipstick took 5 minutes for the oil to drain back down.

Check the oil after the engine has been off for ~20 minutes.

Glad the OP is getting taken care of by the dealer. Definitely not an acceptable situation. Had to laugh about the consumption figures on the 50's cars. Seems stupid to chase so-called efficiency standards and end up with a car that fowls the cat in 80k miles and drinks oil at $8/qt. Bit different circumstances these days.

My 1zzfe uses no reasonably measured amount of oil through an OCI at 150,000mi on the clock. That's the way it should be.

Congrats again to the OP on the anniversary! Hope you get this all sorted in short order.

The owner's manual says the engine should be hot, turn the engine off, wait five minutes, check your oil. I've checked it cold and hot, no significant difference. Hot after five minutes might be lower by 1/16th of an inch. I've discussed this with the Toyota Service manager. He doesn't know any reason to check the oil when it is hot.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
[
It usually takes a Toyota 300,000 miles to reach the reliability standard set by a new GM or Ford.

Folks that talk badly about Toyota have likely never owned one.

And you never owned a Ford. I have three right now, all at 130-200k miles, none 'younger' than 2001. They are still working...
As for the old Toyotas that have 300k miles, they are very rare and the new ones are so much different that you cannot assume that they will be the same. They are not even build on the same continent anymore.

Toyota is the new Ford.

18zulsxitj9jljpg.jpg

I owned a Ford once...
once...
I had a 14 Focus ST.
It was the first of 20 vehicles that I have owned that was ever towed. For any reason. At 800 miles old.
This was its second trip to the dealer for defects during its first 2 weeks.

Update: The dealership will take my 2015 Camry tomorrow and provide me a new, 2015 Camry as a loner. I asked the service manager what they were going to do to my oil burner, and he said, "I don't know. The Toyota engineers want to run a couple of tests and then they will tell us what they are going to do."

Any guess what tests the Toyota Engineers will run?

The owner's manual says the engine should be hot, turn the engine off, wait five minutes, check your oil. I've checked it cold and hot, no significant difference. Hot after five minutes might be lower by 1/16th of an inch. I've discussed this with the Toyota Service manager. He doesn't know any reason to check the oil when it is hot.

there is a big difference in the current toyota's 3.5L v6 engine if you check it after running engine hot or cold. overnight cold id OK though.

Update: The dealership will take my 2015 Camry tomorrow and provide me a new, 2015 Camry as a loner. I asked the service manager what they were going to do to my oil burner, and he said, "I don't know. The Toyota engineers want to run a couple of tests and then they will tell us what they are going to do."

Any guess what tests the Toyota Engineers will run?

Probably no tests, they may pull the head and see if something is obvious and jumps out at them-a sure deal repair. I suspect they'll install a new engine. Send the old one back for analysis.

Wow, seems like you got a bum one from the start! I've been running ours a little harder from the beginning and as of 2500mi on the engine there is no noticeable amount being used. Last week it suffered 400mi of stop and go heavy traffic, it still got over 30mpg. I hope Toyota takes care of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back